Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 03:10 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times

Advertisements

Whatever and wherever it comes down to maintenance. When I lived in Inglewood, we had outages almost weekly. We probably averaged 50-75 hours unscheduled downtime per year for years. In OC they have the same provider (Edison) and probably average less than 5 hours per year unscheduled downtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 03:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,217,145 times
I didn't know this was an issue. As someone that lived along the alabama gulf coast we never have any sort of power outages unless its was from a Hurricane or some moron hitting a pole (or it may be the fact of hurricanes that we have a more resilient power grid) . Even rough storms don't normally blow out the power where I am from. Not sure why it would be common enough for your mentioning elsewhere in the south.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:53 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Why do households in the South lose electricity (and all sources of heat) more frequently and for longer durations than households located in other regions of the country?
We don't. The only time I've lost electricity in the past several years was after Hurricane Sally.

But that reminds me; A couple of months ago, a car with California plates cut me off in traffic. Why are Californians such inconsiderate drivers?

Old 04-04-2021, 07:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
We don't. The only time I've lost electricity in the past several years was after Hurricane Sally.

But that reminds me; A couple of months ago, a car with California plates cut me off in traffic. Why are Californians such inconsiderate drivers?
Anecdotal experience doesn't apply here sir. See opening post.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:59 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Whatever and wherever it comes down to maintenance. When I lived in Inglewood, we had outages almost weekly. We probably averaged 50-75 hours unscheduled downtime per year for years. In OC they have the same provider (Edison) and probably average less than 5 hours per year unscheduled downtime.
Maintenance probably isn't as big of an issue in OC, since most of it was developed much more recently than Inglewood. But you are right that areas that are pretty close to each other can have very different levels of outages. 5 hours of unplanned downtime a year seems completely excessive to me. I've had less than 5 hours of outages over the last DECADE, but LA Dept of Water and Power has adequate generating and transmission capacity for peak demand, unlike SoCal Edison.

Things that lead to outages, in no particular order:

1. Equipment failures due to age or
2. Lack of maintenance
3. Severe weather
4. Lack of adequate generating or transmission capacity for peak demand.

The worst city I've ever lived in (in the states) for electricity reliability was an older port city on the Gulf Coast. It had a combination of an old transmission system and frequent storms with high winds. Power went out a couple of times a month from March through November, sometimes for several hours. After hurricanes, it could be a couple of weeks before power was fully restored.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

^Touché

Old 04-05-2021, 09:08 AM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
It seems to me like all of the U.S. gets more frequent power outages than Europe due to widespread overground power delivery and disruptive weather events such as thunderstorms, ice storms, blizzards, hurricanes..being considerably more common than in Europe.

If I had to guess I'd say that the South/Southeast tends to experience more of those events than CA or MI for instance.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:10 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
I think 'frequently' is a gross exaggeration. In the 28 years we've lived in houses, I think I've had power outages a handful of times, all of them during severe weather events. The blizzard of 93, the tornado outbreak of 2011, and when the occasional thunderstorm blows a tree down on a line.

I'll say this. In the Southern states, there is less of a tendency to clear cut trees when building residential neighborhoods.

There's a good reason for this: Shade. During the summer, when you have months of 85-90+ temperatures, the canopy of trees provides relief. It's hard to overestimate the effect. It's also why when you drive through many Southern cities, you assume you're in the country within minutes of leaving downtown? Why? Because the suburbs are all obscured by trees from the freeway.

Another thing with ice storms is that they happen infrequently. So when they do occur, there's a flurry of weaker branches snapping from the weight of the ice. Further, we tend to get more severe weather from hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, and twisters than in many parts of the country.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:46 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,559,230 times
I live in NC and rarely have lost electricity in the 8 years I've lived in my current house. When it has happened it was usually caused by a nearby auto accident which took out a pole or something. The town I live in provides our electricity, which IMO is a good thing since it's cheaper, they do better maintenance and they respond quickly and efficiently to all outages. Being a mile from the substation with all except the major transition lines being underground also helps.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Thanks for the replies. It happened again today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City