Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Little Saigon in USA
Arlington (Virginia) 2 3.08%
Chicago 10 15.38%
Houston 11 16.92%
Orange County, CA 21 32.31%
Philly 8 12.31%
NYC 3 4.62%
San Diego 1 1.54%
San Francisco 2 3.08%
San Jose 4 6.15%
Seattle 3 4.62%
Tacoma 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 09:32 AM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Well you do have a history of downplaying enclaves in DFW. Remember our back and forth about its Koreatown?
That’s by design, not by purpose. I also have a history of mentioning how underrated the metroplex is for being international. Which it’s finally starting to get that recognition. But as compared to other major cities including Houston, it’s less ethnic enclaves focused.

And this is no exception. DFW has one of the strongest Vietnamese communities in USA, but in Garland, you have your Saigon Mall, which to me seemed like a smaller version of HK City Mall and not much outside of that. The area is very residential so this probably limits what it could be, but as a result, it doesn’t have the continuation you see elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 09:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s by design, not by purpose. I also have a history of mentioning how underrated the metroplex is for being international. Which it’s finally starting to get that recognition. But as compared to other major cities including Houston, it’s less ethnic enclaves focused.

And this is no exception. DFW has one of the strongest Vietnamese communities in USA, but in Garland, you have your Saigon Mall, which to me seemed like a smaller version of HK City Mall and not much outside of that. The area is very residential so this probably limits what it could be, but as a result, it doesn’t have the continuation you see elsewhere.
If thats the case, then we really need to define what makes a nice ethnic enclave. To me, its all about the businesses and establishments and the quality they have. If its ugly, I dont really care.

Now if were talking about functionality and how well designed it is, then I can see your point.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:53 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
What does any of this have to do with Boston having or not having the "nicest Little Saigon"?
I showed how much more outsized Boston’s Vietnamese community is compared to Chicago, New York, Tacoma, Philly, and Arlington. I guess I’d really need info for Fields Corner itself but that sounds hard compared to city-wide data. You could just trust me when I say that there is a neighborhood where Viet culture is clustered and it has some very good food.

And the data isn’t there to say it has the nicest one. Just a nicer one than most of the cities on the poll.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:56 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
That video seems like a very accurate view of Seattle's Little Saigon (early Covid era). Its core is largely strip malls and warehouses, with some limited storefront retail. Along with cultural draw, growth pressures, cheapish land, a fairly new streetcar, and a wholesale redo of the Yesler Terrace housing project are bringing a lot of apartment buildings on its periphery. It's walkable to Downtown proper but definitely gritty and still pretty auto-intensive.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
If thats the case, then we really need to define what makes a nice ethnic enclave. To me, its all about the businesses and establishments and the quality they have. If its ugly, I dont really care.

Now if were talking about functionality and how well designed it is, then I can see your point.
No it’s just about it being a lone strip mall and not much outside of this. The location is what I think holds it back from breaking through. And even more so, it’s not top 5 because there’s 5 that are superior. If the others didn’t exist, it would be top 5 no matter how it were set up.

Someone mentioned Chicago above. I don’t remember ever passing by this part of Chicago, but I don’t see how this wouldn’t be top 5. It looks just below the big 3 in all honesty. I’ll go next time I’m up there for sure.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:13 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
I’ll try to check it out next time I’m in Chicago.
It's a pretty cool area. Hopefully, post-pandemic it's back up and running. Here's a general snapshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8jWbb4vOKM

Old 04-09-2021, 11:15 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I showed how much more outsized Boston’s Vietnamese community is compared to Chicago, New York, Tacoma, Philly, and Arlington. I guess I’d really need info for Fields Corner itself but that sounds hard compared to city-wide data. You could just trust me when I say that there is a neighborhood where Viet culture is clustered and it has some very good food.

And the data isn’t there to say it has the nicest one. Just a nicer one than most of the cities on the poll.
I believe you that Boston has a nice Vietnamese neighborhood, I just don’t see that the statistics help make that connection at the neighborhood level. I think that we saw in another topic that a city could have a relatively large percentage of south Asians, but not really have a significant south Asian neighborhood. Another city may have a high percentage of African immigrants, but no significant African neighborhood. Not saying that’s the case with Boston, just that overall populations and percentages may not correlate to thriving ethnic neighborhoods.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2easy View Post
i believe you that boston has a nice vietnamese neighborhood, i just don’t see that the statistics help make that connection at the neighborhood level. I think that we saw in another topic that a city could have a relatively large percentage of south asians, but not really have a significant south asian neighborhood. Another city may have a high percentage of african immigrants, but no significant african neighborhood. Not saying that’s the case with boston, just that overall populations and percentages may not correlate to thriving ethnic neighborhoods.
dfw

Old 04-09-2021, 11:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
No it’s just about it being a lone strip mall and not much outside of this. The location is what I think holds it back from breaking through. And even more so, it’s not top 5 because there’s 5 that are superior. If the others didn’t exist, it would be top 5 no matter how it were set up.

Someone mentioned Chicago above. I don’t remember ever passing by this part of Chicago, but I don’t see how this wouldn’t be top 5. It looks just below the big 3 in all honesty. I’ll go next time I’m up there for sure.

Wait...you think all Walnut Lane is a lone strip mall???

Old 04-09-2021, 11:36 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
You didnt put Fields Corner on here?... *side eye*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvapDj0Vm14&t=929s

Probably the biggest East Coast Vietnamese population outside of Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City