Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Little Saigon in USA
Arlington (Virginia) 2 3.08%
Chicago 10 15.38%
Houston 11 16.92%
Orange County, CA 21 32.31%
Philly 8 12.31%
NYC 3 4.62%
San Diego 1 1.54%
San Francisco 2 3.08%
San Jose 4 6.15%
Seattle 3 4.62%
Tacoma 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 11:58 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But if were saying its a nice Saigon and we've actually been there-extensively who are you to say otherwise? Especially when the numbers back up that assertion?

Youre automatically casting doubt and that's annoying
I would like you to point out where I assumed Boston’s Fields Corner isn’t deserving of a spot. I bluntly stated I have never been so I can’t be early judge. Neither in favor nor against. And as I mentioned above, having a large Vietnamese community doesn’t equal having a large a vibrant Vietnamese neighborhood. So those numbers alone don’t tell me anything. The footage you sent, does and I’ll watch it in a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 12:02 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I would like you to point out where I assumed Boston’s Fields Corner isn’t deserving of a spot. I bluntly stated I have never been so I can’t be early judge. Neither in favor nor against. And as I mentioned above, having a large Vietnamese community doesn’t equal having a large a vibrant Vietnamese neighborhood. So those numbers alone don’t tell me anything. The footage you sent, does and I’ll watch it in a minute.
Are you serious? Both you and 2Easy assume it's not a nice neighborhood or we need to prove it's a nice neighborhood... and I have no idea what that means in this context. Because yall are talking about suburban strip malls...

"if its as big as you say it is" that was you..

2Easy says "none of this has to do with how nice it is" and you say "that's what I'm saying."

Now you're trying to tell me that not a doubtful tone? You can easily just google it for yourself.

https://www.bostonlittlesaigon.org/ Plenty of Vietnamese religious congregations, artists, youth centers, community development corporations, festivals, bait and tackle shops, banh mi and more in Fields Corner...All dense urban and highly walkable and with a subway station in the middle of it.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:03 PM

Not much of the video was around the neighborhood. Most of it was inside restaurants. I couldn’t get a good enough read of the whole area.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Not much of the video was around the neighborhood. Most of it was inside restaurants. I couldn’t get a good enough read of the whole area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmQL1Vm7Xq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlTKtzbf28

skip to about 3:45

Old 04-09-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Are you serious? Both you and 2Easy assume it's not a nice neighborhood or we need to prove it's a nice neighborhood... and I have no idea what that means in this context. Because yall are talking about suburban strip malls...

"if its as big as you say it is" that was you..

2Easy says "none of this has to do with how nice it is" and you say "that's what I'm saying."

Now you're trying to tell me that not a doubtful tone? You can easily just google it for yourself.

https://www.bostonlittlesaigon.org/ Plenty of Vietnamese religious congregations, artists, youth centers, community development corporations, festivals, bait and tackle shops, banh mi and more in Fields Corner...All dense urban and highly walkable and with a subway station in the middle of it.
The quote: “ If Boston’s Viet Town is as big as you say it is, then sure it should’ve been added.” Where am I assuming anything? That was merely saying that a city can have a large amount of an ethnic group and not establish a legit enclave. I neither said Boston’s is legit or not. I just wouldn’t know as I haven’t went or seen much footage. Newsflash: not everyone is born knowing every little detail of Boston automatically by birth. Instead, we are bashing it for racism

Old 04-09-2021, 12:12 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Houston
LA
Boston

Top 3 imo. I'm most familiar with Bostons.. it's really cool, great restaurants. My familiar is from that part of Dorchester so I'm bias

Old 04-09-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The quote: “ If Boston’s Viet Town is as big as you say it is, then sure it should’ve been added.” Where am I assuming anything? That was merely saying that a city can have a large amount of an ethnic group and not establish a legit enclave. I neither said Boston’s is legit or not. I just wouldn’t know as I haven’t went or seen much footage. Newsflash: not everyone is born knowing every little detail of Boston automatically by birth. Instead, we are bashing it for racism
This would be true if the whole Vietnamese population were concentrated in 2 zip codes in MA. It's very much so an enclave, probably more so than any of the TX locations by way of physical density/concentration. I thought Shudra made that pretty clear, maybe not clear enough. Fields Corner is a traditional inner-city neighborhood and diverse neighborhood but its northern portion is noticeably Vietnamese and dominated by an array of Vietnamese mom and pops and they are responsible for much of the culture in that area.

As with most things non-irish Boston, it been undersold or relatively hidden until a woman from Orange County came and pushed for the formal 'Little Saigon' designation in 2019. Consistent with some of the efforts to change the city's image and promote more varied tourism-as mentioned in another thread. But dating all the way back to the 80s its had a large Vietnamese population.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Houston
LA
Boston

Top 3 imo. I'm most familiar with Bostons.. it's really cool, great restaurants. My familiar is from that part of Dorchester so I'm bias
Philly I think has a better or more authentic Little Saigon than Boston. Idk about NYC/Seattle

I say this as someone who survived for like 4 months off Dot Ave Banh Mi at one point, lol

Old 04-09-2021, 12:40 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
No. Cali Saigon Mall in Garland was an indoor/outdoor mall very reminiscent of HK City Mall in Houston, just smaller but much newer. There were a few additional Vietnamese businesses in the area but not much. And the area was very highly residential, which is what makes me think holds it back from its potential.
There are Vietnamese businesses dotted in the area between Abrams and Shiloh. Its not just the area around Walnut and Jupiter.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I’m just a few blocks away from the Little Saigon in Seattle. It’s okay... nothing amazing. I was more impressed with Argyle Street in Chicago, I really like the way it looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City