Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Little Saigon in USA
Arlington (Virginia) 2 3.08%
Chicago 10 15.38%
Houston 11 16.92%
Orange County, CA 21 32.31%
Philly 8 12.31%
NYC 3 4.62%
San Diego 1 1.54%
San Francisco 2 3.08%
San Jose 4 6.15%
Seattle 3 4.62%
Tacoma 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 02:56 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
They’re not smart enough to understand. Don’t bother anymore at this point.
clown comment. We understand you know not which what you speak and dont seem to want to know more. When you are told more, miraculously you dont see it.

Were smart enough. Yall two are just lazy. Too lazy to do the research on your own-even when youre being pointed in that very direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 03:07 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
How concentrated are they? Because if all that matters is having a good handful of Vietnamese businesses dotted relatively close to eachother, then there’s plenty of places that apply in Houston and DFW. There’s Midtown Houston, parts of Spring Branch. The only place in DFW that seemed concentrated enough was at the Cali Saigon Mall which is in Garland. Which is decent for what it is but outside of that individual complex, there’s not much immediately surrounding Viet businesses around.
I just dont think you know the area outside that one corner. Driving on Walnut from Abrams to Shiloh you come across several areas that are like the one you describe (four if I remember correctly) and they are separated by residential areas. No one is trying to say its on the level of OC, SJ, or Houston, but yes I do absolutely stick to my opinion that its top 5. I can see San Diego being higher but definitely not anything in Washington. Even then the Vietnamese community in DFW (and Seattle) is much larger than in San Diego.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:07 PM

9,872 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
clown comment. We understand you know not which what you speak and dont seem to want to know more. When you are told more, miraculously you dont see it.

Were smart enough. Yall two are just lazy. Too lazy to do the research on your own-even when youre being pointed in that very direction.
You made that up. All I have said is I haven’t been to it or seen much footage of it until those videos you sent. And that having a Hugh population in a city doesn’t mean anything to an enclave being bigger or better than another. And I won’t add it due to sheer numbers it would be because of footage you showed. If you are smart enough, then you’re letting emotions get ahead of your brain no where did I say Boston isnt included. I said to my knowledge it isn’t. More people haven’t been to Boston then have to know this.

All this crying here on “oh but you know about these other cities”... and? I know about those and I don’t Boston’s. Big deal. I’m not pretending I do. I’m literally saying I don’t know much about it at all. If another random place that I didn’t know of fit the bill that I didn’t know about came up it would the same thing. But I doubt they’d be as sensitive about it.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I just dont think you know the area outside that one corner. Driving on Walnut from Abrams to Shiloh you come across several areas that are like the one you describe (four if I remember correctly) and they are separated by residential areas. No one is trying to say its on the level of OC, SJ, or Houston, but yes I do absolutely stick to my opinion that its top 5. I can see San Diego being higher but definitely not anything in Washington. Even then the Vietnamese community in DFW is much larger than in San Diego.
So let me get this straight. There’s pockets of Vietnamese pockets along Walnut that are fairly spaced out. But close enough to be in the same general area? I’m 100% positive I’ve drove through here. But in all honesty, places like this aren’t that uncommon in Texas. Atleast in Houston and Dallas. Spring Branch has similar things. And the one place in Garland that seemed particularly big enough to be a thing was the Cali Saigon Mall. It’s also the place I was recommended. And much like you’re saying, it’s spaced out and residential.

Also, how about Chicago? I haven’t been there (Viet town. I have been to Chi) personally but from this footage it seems pretty hard to beat.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:20 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight. There’s pockets of Vietnamese pockets along Walnut that are fairly spaced out. But close enough to be in the same general area? I’m 100% positive I’ve drove through here. But in all honesty, places like this aren’t that uncommon in Texas. Atleast in Houston and Dallas. Spring Branch has similar things. And the one place in Garland that seemed particularly big enough to be a thing was the Cali Saigon Mall. It’s also the place I was recommended. And much like you’re saying, it’s spaced out and residential.

Also, how about Chicago? I haven’t been there (Viet town. I have been to Chi) personally but from this footage it seems pretty hard to beat.
Yes thats right. You basically go from the Ethiopian and East African stuff closer to Greenville and Walnut and it transitions to Vietnamese as you drive east. Its not completely unlike Bellaire Blvd where you start with Honduran/Salvadoran/Guatemalan stuff between Chimney Rock and Gessner. Then it transitions to Chinatown and then Little Saigon.

Where I can see it being dinged is the spaces between the various Vietnamese centers. It doesnt flow nicely like Bellaire Blvd in Houston or Beach Blvd in Orange County. Its obviously much smaller than both as well. But its one of the next on the list after the large gap between those three.

As for Chicago, its a city of ethnic neighborhoods. Its long history of ethnic self segregation kind of limited itself to that. Thats why even ethnicities that have a smaller presence in Chicago can maximize their enclave output because they clump so closely.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:47 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
And that having a Hugh population in a city doesn’t mean anything to an enclave being bigger or better than another.
Where do you think they live? And give me some examples of cities with high concentrations of certain ethnic groups without some sort of enclave for that group. Especially in the northeast, that rarely happens!

Old 04-09-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston shudra View Post
where do you think they live? And give me some examples of cities with high concentrations of certain ethnic groups without some sort of enclave for that group. Especially in the northeast, that rarely happens!
dfw.

Here in Houston we have one of the most prominent Nigerian populations in North America without anything I’d call a particular enclave. There’s pockets in the southwest but for the most part there’s no prominent enclave

Old 04-09-2021, 03:56 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
You don't think businesses and restaurants would correlate pretty well with population? I guess I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Anecdotally, Chinatown in Boston has quite a few Viet restaurants despite not being a Viet enclave. Only 101 Viet people out of 7926 people in zip 02111.
My initial thought was that the best Little Saigon would have the most and nicest Vietnamese amenities. I only said that I could be wrong about that in deference to your defense of the population statistics as being a good resource. Personally I was hoping to get more out of this thread than posting population statistics and telling people to google but that’s just one mans opinion.

Chinatown in DTLA has a few Vietnamese restaurants as well. And little Saigon in OC has lots of Chinese restaurants. I’ve been told that there’s a very large Chinese community in Saigon so that makes sense.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:58 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Philly I think has a better or more authentic Little Saigon than Boston. Idk about NYC/Seattle

I say this as someone who survived for like 4 months off Dot Ave Banh Mi at one point, lol

I havent been to the one in Philly. Not aware of any Little Siagon equivalent in NYC too.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:00 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
dfw.

Here in Houston we have one of the most prominent Nigerian populations in North America without anything I’d call a particular enclave. There’s pockets in the southwest but for the most part there’s no prominent enclave
I was thinking of Seattle. I’m thought that I recalled that someone mentioned in another thread that Seattle has a very large south Asian population with no significant ethnic enclaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City