Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has a stronger "southern" feel?
North Carolina 37 51.39%
Kentucky 35 48.61%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 06:00 AM

771 posts, read 628,232 times

Advertisements

Of course, this question is debatable because we all have different interpretations of "southern" and southern culture, but I thought it'd be interesting to compare and contrast North Carolina and Kentucky. Both states are located in the Upper South, with college basketball culture (Duke, UK, etc.) and a good amount of Appalachian influence. Kentucky is further north and close to the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana), especially around Louisville and the Cincinnati suburbs. North Carolina, while further south, has been (more so) impacted by transplants, especially around the Triangle and Charlotte.

Which state, in your opinion, has a stronger "southern" feel or vibe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 AM

467 posts, read 428,794 times
Another great thread, costello. I think these two states are indeed pretty comparable when it comes to perceived "Southernness" for the reasons you mentioned. I will go with NC overall by a little, though. Obviously, NC has plenty of transplants from outside the South, which "dilutes" traditional Southernness (or is it perhaps just a modern update on what Southern culture is/has evolved into?), at least in the urban metros, but I think the distinguishing factor in my eyes is that NC includes Eastern NC, the part of the state with an extensive agricultural legacy, large (rural) Black population, and quintessential Southern "feel" in terms of the landscape and scenery (or lack thereof, as some joke). In other words, very "Deep South" in nature, probably indistinguishable from what many people think of the South in areas of Alabama and Mississippi. Not to say that Kentucky does not have many of these elements, especially in its far western part, or that Deep South culture is more Southern than Upper South/Appalachian South culture, but I think NC has some of the most inclusive and representative instances of the South overall as a core Southern state. "Old South" (Wilmington, other Eastern areas), "New South" (Charlotte, the Triangle, etc.), coastal South, mountain South, etc., NC has it all. To me, NC as a state is overall more similar to Georgia than any other Southern state, even if metro Atlanta may feel slightly more Southern than say, the Triangle. And Georgia is a pretty all-encompassing state of the South itself, if not the most.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:23 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,505,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Of course, this question is debatable because we all have different interpretations of "southern" and southern culture, but I thought it'd be interesting to compare and contrast North Carolina and Kentucky. Both states are located in the Upper South, with college basketball culture (Duke, UK, etc.) and a good amount of Appalachian influence. Kentucky is further north and close to the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana), especially around Louisville and the Cincinnati suburbs. North Carolina, while further south, has been (more so) impacted by transplants, especially around the Triangle and Charlotte.

Which state, in your opinion, has a stronger "southern" feel or vibe?
Excuse you....... my alma mater will not be referred to as "etc"...

Old 04-09-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Excuse you....... my alma mater will not be referred to as "etc"...
LOL, I'm sorry! UNC is right up there with them. UNC, Duke, UK, Louisville. Honestly, I don't think college basketball is bigger in any other state. Indiana might come close, though.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:16 AM

3,165 posts, read 2,218,956 times
I would say North Carolina is more representative of the modern South. The state is pretty balanced between traditional Southern influences and those that have come in more recently from elsewhere, of course in varying proportions depending on location.

Kentucky is more culturally homogeneous and has a more slowly evolving economy, and those attributes are really making it less typical of where the South is headed in the 21st century - in addition to the state being adjacent to the Midwest, and having a lot more cold weather than just about any other Southern state.

I certainly agree that North Carolina and Georgia have a lot of the same dynamics.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Another great thread, costello. I think these two states are indeed pretty comparable when it comes to perceived "Southernness" for the reasons you mentioned. I will go with NC overall by a little, though. Obviously, NC has plenty of transplants from outside the South, which "dilutes" traditional Southernness (or is it perhaps just a modern update on what Southern culture is/has evolved into?), at least in the urban metros, but I think the distinguishing factor in my eyes is that NC includes Eastern NC, the part of the state with an extensive agricultural legacy, large (rural) Black population, and quintessential Southern "feel" in terms of the landscape and scenery (or lack thereof, as some joke). In other words, very "Deep South" in nature, probably indistinguishable from what many people think of the South in areas of Alabama and Mississippi. Not to say that Kentucky does not have many of these elements, especially in its far western part, or that Deep South culture is more Southern than Upper South/Appalachian South culture, but I think NC has some of the most inclusive and representative instances of the South overall as a core Southern state. "Old South" (Wilmington, other Eastern areas), "New South" (Charlotte, the Triangle, etc.), coastal South, mountain South, etc., NC has it all. To me, NC as a state is overall more similar to Georgia than any other Southern state, even if metro Atlanta may feel slightly more Southern than say, the Triangle. And Georgia is a pretty all-encompassing state of the South itself, if not the most.
I appreciate the compliment! Topics like this are fun because there's no right or wrong answer, of course. However, I think this could be a good discussion because Kentucky hasn't exactly been impacted by outside influences, but it has always maintained a connection to the Midwest via the Ohio River. Most of Kentucky's population lives close to Ohio or Indiana, as well. Meanwhile, North Carolina is located deeper in the South, but has attracted a decent amount of northern transplants in recent decades, which leads many to believe that the state is "losing" southern culture (which is debatable, too).

Old 04-09-2021, 03:30 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
I’m sorry, in Kentucky isn’t barbecue sheep right? Lol. They’re kissing cousins maybe, but they’re on the outside looking in.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
kentucky.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:43 PM

811 posts, read 890,543 times
I voted Kentucky, although these two are neck and neck.

Kentucky is significantly less influenced by transplants, which is a good and bad thing but has helped KY retain its individual culture. Even though KY is in proximity to the Midwest, Kentucky tends to be the bigger influencer of places like Southern Indiana and Southern Ohio versus the other way around.

It’s a unique blend of Lower Midwest and Southern but I have met so many people in that region along the Ohio River who are passionate Southerners and identify strongly with the South.

Kentucky is upper South in culture. Home of Bluegrass Music (sub genre of country music), home of the United States premiere Bourbon whisky production and warehousing, home to United States premiere equestrian breeding and racing, home to worlds largest Fried Chicken chain, KFC, created the Mint Julep.

To put it in the words of the Kentucky tourism bureau, “Kentucky is the front porch of the South” lol.

I lived in KY for a few years and it’s one of the few States that has been largely untouched by outsiders and feels very authentic, and Southern. Just my anecdotal experience.

North Carolina is also Southern, very much so, but transplants have changed the State, and brought many positive changes as well, but it feels less Southern in many parts.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:28 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
“Front porch of the South”. I nailed it, lol. Outside looking in. I think it’s even north of the Sweet tea line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City