Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,334 times

Advertisements

Your welcome and excellent point, Alabama211. Problem is, where do these wealthy “orbit” suburbs belong exactly in the ranking?

At one point I had B’ham above Rochester while making the list. I think B’ham is very comfy where it is, but maybe could be above Rochester or GR. I think Mobile could be a spot or two higher perhaps. I think the thing people should know is that these rankings aren’t hard and settled, as cities next to each other in the ranking could be interchangeable (this is true the further you go down the list, obviously false for the top 3 I’d say).

Yes, VA Beach absolutely includes Norfolk as well as Newport News, Chesapeake, Hampton Roads, etc.

So far I think I only botched separating Raleigh and Durham. ABQ was too low and may need bumped up to #63, I botched it too. Let me ponder on B’ham too.

El Paso is probably too low.

Thanks for your nice comment btw, I appreciate the rational and thoughtful discussion points you made! (:

Gonna have to fine tune the list again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 10:32 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Oh, and just an interesting aside to consider-Salt Lake City is the only US city that is the hub of a global religion, founded by that religion, whose urban area is majority members of said religion. The place is Mecca for 16 million people and growing.

The heart of Downtown Salt Lake City is dominated by the headquarters complex of the Church, and is centered around the Salt Lake Temple.
https://www.utahsbestvacationrentals...ple_square.jpg

Old 04-11-2021, 05:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I always found El Paso an interesting place. It is the dominate city in a metro of over 2M if you combine the Mexico side population. I understand there is significant connection with Juarez in that many wealthy Mexicans own or rent property in the USA side for access to schools and safety or so I am told. Ft Bliss has grown significantly over the past decade as more remote bases shut down and functions were moved to Ft Bliss. Las Cruses is a nice nearby city that feels to me like a suburb of El Paso.

The nearby White Sands range occasionally brings in NASA and foreign partner, especially German, for tests of high technology related military equipment. At the present I believe there is a German military group stationed here.

Antidotally I met a women moving from PHX to El Paso for a better climate as well as for better access for her two children living and working in Europe. I had no idea there airport there had more European connections by air than Phoenix I have not verified this it may just be from locations applicable to where her family members were living.

Any way I believe it is a larger city impact wise when one recognizes how it connects to a large population center in Mexico

Thanks for the list a good effort and generates interesting conversations.

Also appreciate your thoughts on NWArkansas where an interstate high way branches off I40 and thru the NWArkansas cities to connect them. I believe construction is underway now on the most northern part of this region as it connects Bentonville to Buena Vista. Also besides Walmart HQ, Tyson foods is HQ there and JBHunt a very large trucking company. I think it functions as a unit more than most clusters of cities I am familiar with else where in USA

Old 04-11-2021, 06:38 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,334 times
Hi everyone! Please feel free to click my Blog Entries (1) above and to the right, for my live Top 200 List, on which I will continue working. If you can, please reference this List going forward, if possible.

Albuquerque 101, I bumped Albuquerque up significantly to #59 from #71. My OP had botched this, my bad. I am trying to be completely unbiased in my ranking. Respectfully, I'm still not swapping it with Charleston, SC at this time. I think they are very close, but I give the edge to Charleston for history. Being one of the largest cities in the nation for its first 100 years of existence is too important.

Combined Raleigh and Durham, removed Durham from the list and put Raleigh at #37.

Bumped El Paso up to #65 from #79, another error on my list.

Anyone have any idea where Laredo or McAllen, TX belong in the list? They are ranked very low also #169 and #186 for their populations, respectively.

Thanks everyone, so far great suggestions! (:

Last edited by g500; 04-11-2021 at 07:01 AM..

Old 04-11-2021, 01:48 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Pretty good!

Really, the only thing/correction...the Top 10 order should be:

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Atlanta
8. Houston
9. Philadelphia
10. Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
I need to say that on my list, #8 Philadelphia and #9 Atlanta are so incredibly close they are practically tied. I gave the nod to Philadelphia based on its urban built form, downtown, and history. Atlanta has the world's busiest airport and is growing fast. I think #'s 7-10 are all pretty close to each other.
Yea, I agree with your original list. And as you said #7-#10 are all very close, but I would give the edge to Houston and Philadelphia over Atlanta, based on the thread criteria and the reasons you stated.

Aries LOVES Atlanta, probably why he/she boosted it up a few more spots. (hopefully he/she doesn't get mad at me for saying that).

Excellent thread though!

Old 04-11-2021, 01:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh, and just an interesting aside to consider-Salt Lake City is the only US city that is the hub of a global religion, founded by that religion, whose urban area is majority members of said religion. The place is Mecca for 16 million people and growing.

The heart of Downtown Salt Lake City is dominated by the headquarters complex of the Church, and is centered around the Salt Lake Temple.
https://www.utahsbestvacationrentals...ple_square.jpg
That's an interesting factoid for sure, though it's not personally a selling point to me.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:59 PM

12,838 posts, read 9,562,557 times
I will periodically review certain parts of your list. 1-30 is pretty solid. Now 31-50:

31. Riverside-too high
32. Sacramento- too low
33. Columbus
34. Nashville- too low
35. New Orleans - too low
36. Indianapolis
37. San Antonio too low
38. Milwaukee
39. West Palm Beach
40. Virginia Beach

41. Raleigh-too low
42. Salt Lake City-too low
43. Jacksonville
44. Richmond
45. Louisville
46. Bridgeport
47. Honolulu
48. Buffalo
49. Hartford
50. Providence

Old 04-11-2021, 04:12 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Great list! Looking at the top 20, Seattle and Miami stand out as possibly out of place. Miami is so much bigger than Seattle, it’s tough to see how Seattle is ahead.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:16 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yea, I agree with your original list. And as you said #7-#10 are all very close, but I would give the edge to Houston and Philadelphia over Atlanta, based on the thread criteria and the reasons you stated.

Aries LOVES Atlanta, probably why he/she boosted it up a few more spots. (hopefully he/she doesn't get mad at me for saying that).

Excellent thread though!
I personally have Atlanta 8th as well. I am contemplating 7th because Atlanta is also the de facto capital of the south, even when you consider Houston and Dallas. Either way, 7-9 is preference at this point.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:31 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
If Savannah is ranked 103 then Augusta should definitely be higher. It has the second largest metro, urban area, and GDP in Georgia. Savannah is just more well known. I don’t see how a suburb of Dallas, McKinney TX is more ‘’influential’’

101. Chattanooga
102. Huntsville
103. Savannah
104. Lancaster, PA
105. Midland
106. Stockton
107. Ann Arbor
108. Santa Barbara
109. Mobile
110. Lansing

111. Santa Cruz
112. Asheville
113. Denton
114. Bakersfield
115. Ogden
116. Palm Springs
117. Lexington, KY
118. Fort Collins
119. Jackson, MS
120. Poughkeepsie

121. Provo
122. Daytona Beach
123. Pensacola
124. Monterey
125. The Woodlands
126. McKinney
127. Scranton
128. Augusta, GA
129. Temecula
130. Fort Wayne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City