Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city or area is the hardest to approve new development?
New York City 9 13.04%
Los Angeles 7 10.14%
San Francisco 46 66.67%
Chicago 3 4.35%
Washington DC 8 11.59%
Boston 14 20.29%
Houston 1 1.45%
Dallas 0 0%
Philadelphia 2 2.90%
Austin 0 0%
Atlanta 0 0%
Miami 0 0%
Tampa 0 0%
Seattle 4 5.80%
San Diego 2 2.90%
Phoenix 1 1.45%
Northern NJ Area 3 4.35%
Raleigh/Durham Area 1 1.45%
Charlotte 1 1.45%
Denver 0 0%
Honolulu 3 4.35%
Baltimore 1 1.45%
Memphis 1 1.45%
Indianapolis 0 0%
Nashville 0 0%
Other 2 2.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 12:05 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
To be fair, those views aren't Boston specific. NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc only a few miles out from the hearts of their respective CBD

Its just Boston their isnt a strong core outside.. well, its core. It dies out around the whole circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 01:56 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Here we go MJW, Boston has the second LEAST dense urban area out of the top 26 metropolitan areas. second lowest to just ATL

Old 04-12-2021, 02:43 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Here we go MJW, Boston has the second LEAST dense urban area out of the top 26 metropolitan areas. second lowest to just ATL
I knew saw that somewhere... SF Urban area is nearly 3x more dense.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:49 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Not a major city but Santa Fe, NM. Everything has to fit the city's extremely specific Pueblo aesthetic standard as determined by a committee, and the costs of building compliant buildings has resulted in a punishing COL in a city dominated by low-wage service jobs.
That explains why that city looks like a real life flintstone episode

Old 04-12-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I knew saw that somewhere... SF Urban area is nearly 3x more dense.
yeah i was like i knew i saw it somewhere. Im not that crazy..

Old 04-12-2021, 02:54 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
It’s funny cause if you didn’t research this stuff you would think nyc is easy cause there are construction sites everywhere and lots of Victorian homes being torn down.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
It’s funny cause if you didn’t research this stuff you would think nyc is easy cause there are construction sites everywhere and lots of Victorian homes being torn down.
True. And those ugly skinny things in Manhattan.. You would think architecture doesnt matter and everything is gettng approved

Old 04-12-2021, 05:08 PM

1,122 posts, read 926,121 times
Quote:
The rise in Cambridge will come.....
Your enthusiasm is good--but i don't believe there is much justification for this point of view.
Every borough is an enclave. Every enclave is nimby since Exchange Place broke ground around ~1982......
Thirty five years later the overlords still have to lie about how tall the tower is (538': not 510').
*the files are locked for 75 years.

Quote:
Cambridge has a lot. A looot of empty space to build on....
Yes. So.
The New York Streets & parts of Chinatown did too.
How did that work out?
Cambridge has a nimby crowd just like the South End. Serious height had been discussed for the areas near Kendall Sq and Cambridge Crossing.
It will be in another reality before towers pushing Haulover Inlet height.

Quote:
Boston's skyscrapers, or noticeable standout buildings, will fall off a cliff.
As in 'an ending?' Correct. After Central Wharf there are no proposals currently under review over 339'. A few pushing ~400 have all failed under review. Maybe we see some buildings go to that height or a few feet above.
The only parcel i know of is part of the State Services Ctr: zoned for 400'. No zoning relief for the site.

Last edited by odurandina; 04-12-2021 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-12-2021, 05:38 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
yeah i was like i knew i saw it somewhere. Im not that crazy..
I was about to point this out to you, that it's not MSA but urban area because Western and southern cities tend to have massive MSAs because of the counties that aren't really representative of the area.

Boston is 2nd in the top 26, but Charlotte is actually less dense to the point were it's urban area is split into like 4-5 different urban areas. The issue is Atlanta is increasing in density everywhere, and the density of the northern suburbs of Atlanta and the pro-density trend that seems to be started by the cityhood movement will mean it could very well catchup to Boston and pass it. As well as the bad infrastructure meaning it can't sprawl north as much anymore. Which means the current low density urban area is being filled in.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Your enthusiasm is good--but i don't believe there is much justification for this point of view.
Every borough is an enclave. Every enclave is nimby since Exchange Place broke ground around ~1982......
Thirty five years later the overlords still have to lie about how tall the tower is (538': not 510').
*the files are locked for 75 years.

Yes. So.
The New York Streets & parts of Chinatown did too.
How did that work out?
Cambridge has a nimby crowd just like the South End. Serious height had been discussed for the areas near Kendall Sq and Cambridge Crossing.
It will be in another reality before towers pushing Haulover Inlet height.

As in 'an ending?' Correct. After Central Wharf there are no proposals currently under review over 339'. A few pushing ~400 have all failed under review. Maybe we see some buildings go to that height or a few feet above.
The only parcel i know of is part of the State Services Ctr: zoned for 400'. No zoning relief for the site.
I mean there is more to a city than height. If it is good urbanity, then so what. South End is great infill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City