Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Allentown, PA vs. Albuquerque, NM
Allentown, PA 20 32.79%
Albuquerque, NM 41 67.21%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 03:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 988,124 times

Advertisements

Allentown, PA vs. Albuquerque, NM

Which city do you think is more influential and important in the broad scheme of things? Considering historical, cultural, socioeconomic, financial, logistical, academic criteria.

I think they are a pretty even match, so I am opening this up to a public poll. Please feel free to include your reasoning.

Genuinely curious to see what happens here. Thanks for your input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 03:08 PM

282 posts, read 219,486 times
Oh, this should be fun.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
Oh, this should be fun.
Yeah I am genuinely interested. I think Albuquerque will win personally, because it has a much better brand name recognition. I think they are approximate peers in many aspects so should be an interesting showing.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Yeah I am genuinely interested. I think Albuquerque will win personally, because it has a much better brand name recognition. I think they are approximate peers in many aspects so should be an interesting showing.
Allentown is completely different from Albuquerque. To start with, it's a metro area comprised of multiple distinct cities. Albuquerque has only Albuquerque as the principal city in its metro area.

It's like comparing the Inland Empire with Phoenix and claiming they are similar and equally influential and distinctive.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Allentown is completely different from Albuquerque. To start with, it's a metro area comprised of multiple distinct cities. Albuquerque has only Albuquerque as the principal city in its metro area.

It's like comparing the Inland Empire with Phoenix and claiming they are similar and equally influential and distinctive.
Yeah true, but the flow of development is still the same even if arbitrary city and borough lines have different names. This is due to the history of the development in the region. It actually puts Allentown at a disadvantage. Still you are correct in that it does matter for brand name recognition as Albuquerque is certainly more recognizable. But is it more influential? Hopefully this poll and thread will provide some insight from others.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:34 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,376,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post

"I knew I should have taken that left turn at Allentown" said Bugs Bunny never.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,330,897 times
I voted Allentown.

Historically it is far more significant. It is 60 minutes to both NYC and Philadelphia and just 30 minutes to the Pocono Mountains.

It has deep colonial history. And is a pioneer in the industrial revolution.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:37 PM

50 posts, read 39,205 times
Albuqurque cause PA and all the east coast is all forrest and trees.... come to west and enjoy this open land

Old 04-12-2021, 08:16 PM

Albuquerque has a very long history and was founded in 1706 in a valley with Native history going back centuries before that. Albuquerque has Spanish Colonial history, Wild West history, railroad history, Route 66 history, Atomic Age history and tech history. Microsoft was founded here because Bill Gates wanted to write programming for the first commercially viable personal computer that was developed here by MITS. It also has a great history with the entertainment industry, which is now exploding with multiple television shows that will go down in history as some of the most popular and best ever produced. It has a wealth of history when it comes to art and artists, writers, journalists, etc. It has great political history with many firsts, from the first Hispanic U.S. senator to the first Native American congresswoman, who is now the first Native American cabinet member.

If people scratch the surface they will find that Albuquerque has been central to and involved in many important things throughout history.

Last edited by DukeCityDenizen; 04-12-2021 at 08:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Albuquerque has a very long history and was founded in 1706 in a valley with Native history going back centuries before that. Albuquerque has Spanish Colonial history, Wild West history, railroad history, Route 66 history, Atomic Age history and tech history. Microsoft was founded here because Bill Gates wanted to write programming for the first commercially viable personal computer that was developed here by MITS. It also has a great history with the entertainment industry, which is now exploding with multiple television shows that will go down in history as some of the most popular and best ever produced. It has a wealth of history when it comes to art and artists, writers, journalists, etc. It has great political history with many firsts, from the first Hispanic U.S. senator to the first Native American congresswoman, who is now the first Native American cabinet member.

If people scratch the surface they will find that Albuquerque has been central to and involved in many important things throughout history.
Welp, looks like Albuquerque won the poll pretty handily. I can't say I'm surprised. I suppose it is better marketing overall and the fact that Albuquerque is its own region, whereas Allentown borders the largest region in the nation (NYC-Phila. megalopolis)

I will say it is a bit unfair for Allentown in the aspect that Bethlehem, Easton, Nazareth, and many other areas do not get included in its main city proper. That sort of creates a disjointed urban area with less cohesion. It is better known as the Lehigh Valleh, but that is not the name of its urban area.

Even so, I think ABQ and ABE function as quite different urban areas. Their similarities are only size (urban area population definition). But the buck stops there. Brand, cohesion, purpose, functionality are markedly different between the two.

Ultimately, I think it is a very subjective comparison. But Albuquerque is clearly the winner. I think CD may underestimate supply/logistics side though, as Allentown serves an important role for warehouse and distribution lines to nearby major markets. I'd go with Albuquerque though, and the poll cements it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City