U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 08:43 PM

69 posts, read 33,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCleaveland View Post
Completely true.

Having lived in both NYC and Chicago, the latter was much more unfriendly than NYC....despite the myth and reputation that Chicago is supposed to be ''midwest friendly with midwest values''...lol...and Chicagoans promote this false myth as well...lol.
I think it's the coastal cities making Chicago out to be just another nice little midwestern town. They are the ones who apply the friendly stuff to us.
We don't think we're nice.

We're not cold. If that makes a difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 11:49 PM

325 posts, read 130,436 times
Coming from the Boston area, I can say that striking up conversations with random people was much easier in NYC than in Boston. However, I found that those conversations tended to be shallow and never really amounted to friendships.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:47 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,433,670 times
I have lived in both cities and found them both fantastic to meet new people. Both are very friendly, but I think the people in New York just can be a bit more exciting.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:28 AM

6,609 posts, read 3,297,995 times
I transplanted to Chicago several years ago, and found it very easy to meet people. I also found that when going out, people were very talkative. There are lots of "neighborhood" spots here where you just go and people will start striking up conversations with you and you will see them again when you're there next. So it is really easy to meet people.

I've found that when I went out in NYC, people were pretty social too. I've struck up conversations pretty easily in both places; although I haven't ever lived in NYC, so I don't know what it's like making long-term friends. But it was not hard for me in Chicago. I came to the city when I was 31 (been here 10 years).

I joined sports and social teams, my church has a young adults group, I had some friends from work, and through those friends made other friends. I actually found Chicago to be one of the most social big cities I've lived in.

Although there are a lot of factors in meeting people; age, I think being a primary one. The older you get, the harder it is to move to a new place and meet people.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:35 AM

912 posts, read 579,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I transplanted to Chicago several years ago, and found it very easy to meet people. I also found that when going out, people were very talkative. There are lots of "neighborhood" spots here where you just go and people will start striking up conversations with you and you will see them again when you're there next. So it is really easy to meet people.

I've found that when I went out in NYC, people were pretty social too. I've struck up conversations pretty easily in both places; although I haven't ever lived in NYC, so I don't know what it's like making long-term friends. But it was not hard for me in Chicago. I came to the city when I was 31 (been here 10 years).

I joined sports and social teams, my church has a young adults group, I had some friends from work, and through those friends made other friends. I actually found Chicago to be one of the most social big cities I've lived in.

Although there are a lot of factors in meeting people; age, I think being a primary one. The older you get, the harder it is to move to a new place and meet people.

Can’t rep you and I agree but to me every place is the same, be friendly and the social results are identical. If you did the same activities in City A and City B you’d probably have similar things happen.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:39 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,433,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I definitely agree with you.

I think that out of nearly all US cities I've been to and lived in, NYC and Chicago both actually had the most friendly and outgoing people I have met when I went out and just in general.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:31 AM

6,728 posts, read 3,117,931 times
From personal experience over the years, MUCH easier to meet new people in Chicago and Chicagoland in general. Long Island has very nice residents. I know quite a few people from there. One of our next door neighbors (a couple) here in suburban Charlotte are from LI and are great friends of ours. They would concur with what I'm saying. NYC proper and NJ suburbs, not the friendliest at all.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:06 PM

652 posts, read 350,963 times
I'd argue Chicago. People are more talkative in New York in general and quicker to engage, but harder to have meaningful friendships.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 3,255,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
From personal experience over the years, MUCH easier to meet new people in Chicago and Chicagoland in general. Long Island has very nice residents. I know quite a few people from there. One of our next door neighbors (a couple) here in suburban Charlotte are from LI and are great friends of ours. They would concur with what I'm saying. NYC proper and NJ suburbs, not the friendliest at all.
how are people from NYC and NJ not friendly? People from LI are the worst.. snobby, stuck up and provincial. Where o you get people from NJ and NYC are not pleasent? Im lost... the worst i ever get from Nyers/NJers is some just dont shut up on great either NYC/NJ is.. but you poke fun at that? Its not like rude.

Also NJ and LI hate eachother. Probably not the best to get opinion from either on eachother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City