Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick the winner (Yes, its' hard)
Chicago's North Side/Lakeshore out to its boutique suburbs 70 72.16%
Boston's metro zone to Marblehead/Gloucester/Rockport 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 03:52 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not really rude, just classist. I don't typically have a probably anywhere with rude people (Outside LI and California)

MA wealth burbs have big issues with arrogance, classism, elitism, and preservation of wealth unlike no other
I would classify it as more provincial than downright rude or classist. New Englanders, especially upperclass, more than any other region deeply know their roots and actually care and judge from where your family comes from, the regions and towns in New England and if you can trace yourself back to the Mayflower, what schools you attended etc... they also are quite proud of their complete disdain for any other region in the country and question as to why anyone would care much less travel and experience it for themselves. Hell, I know more than a few Gloucestermen who are proud that they’ve never set foot in Boston!

Also, you (or rather, odurandina) are throwing together radically different towns as if they are similar Marblehead:Lynn? Newburyport:Fall River? I mean, I’m not from New England but my husband hails from Gloucester and I’ve been back and through the region dozens of times. You don’t have to go through Lynn and Marblehead more than once to realize they are literally at opposite ends in terms of wealth and culture!

Gloucester kind of splits the difference as a historic fishing and therefore working class city that has become in a large part because of the wealthy summer residents and of the arts colony of Rockport a bit of a boutique town with hearty remnants of its rougher working class roots. I actually love the city just because it is now part of my heritage and family connections there. I love me some Chicago too though.

I agree with others that the regions, physical geography and built environments or so vastly different that they really don’t merit an apples to apples-like comparison though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 03:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
But it lack 3 big things
-Diversity
-Density
-Vibrancy
The cities within 128 absolutely have all 3 of these things.

Granted, I'm very confused about what's actually being compared here.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:26 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The cities within 128 absolutely have all 3 of these things.

Granted, I'm very confused about what's actually being compared here.
The poll I think is refering to outside 128 and th e north shroe from Salem to Newburyport. I THINK

Old 04-13-2021, 04:34 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
sorry to confuse....
all of it.
comparing Boston + the urban core "big 7 or 8" of Boston
to Chicago's "North Side" boroughs + Skokie, Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, etc
then the suburbs of 128 and beyond to Chicago's suburbs.

and overall in the usual suspect categories.
Cost vs wages
Economy
Power/influence.
Highrise/iconic construction
Architecture
Nightlife
Quality of Living:
Culture
History
Weather
Education/secondary/university
Public Transportation:
Food
Entertainment/Theater
Sports/championships
Your sports
Leisure
Walkable
Bikeable
Weather
Diversity
Gentrification
Amenities
Shopping
Museums
Airports/travel convenience
Traffic
Parking
Getaways/near/less near
nature
beaches/
boating/camping/ fishing etc

Last edited by odurandina; 04-13-2021 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-13-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
sorry to confuse....
all of it.
comparing Boston + the urban core "big 7 or 8" of Boston
to Chicago's "North Side" boroughs + Skokie, Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, etc
then the suburbs of 128 and beyond to Chicago's suburbs.

and overall in the usual suspect categories.
Cost
Economy
Nightlife
Education/secondary/university
Diversity
Amenities
Food
Shopping
Sports/championships
Your sports
Leisure
Walkable
Bikeable
Weather
Airports/travel convenience
Traffic
Parking
Architecture
Getaways/
nature
beaches/
boating
fishing etc
lol I completely misinterpreted this poll. I was thinking Boston's Metrowest and North Shor vs CHicago's North Shore from Evanston and Northbrook and stuff..

Old 04-13-2021, 09:54 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t see how you can compare them since Chicago is so much bigger and is the dominant city for hundreds of miles. Boston is a boutique city that is world class in narrow areas. Education, obviously. It has critical mass with biotechnology/Big Pharma and tech. It has world class health care. Fidelity is there so it has a bit of finance though dominated by NYC a few hours away. Outside of the Bay Area, it’s the biggest concentration of smart-educated people in the country. Those smart-educated people cluster together in blue chip suburbs with outstanding schools and amenities. The ones without children cluster in fancy urban enclaves. If you’re not one of those, it’s the biggest socioeconomic divide in the country with the largest gap in income and wealth in the country.
mostly agree but the floor in Boston is not so bad anymore and there is a reasonable of the middle class in areas away from the core to the south, but definitely lacking compared to msot metros. The Social divide is bigger than ever but the economic part feels like its been closing as of late, albeit very slightly.

Dont think you can compare Boston's core to the North Side of Chicago due to size but if you're pushing to include Watertown Medford Somerville and Cambridge to then sure I guess...Chicago probably still wins.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Boston's is more posh and 'picturesque'.

But it lack 3 big things
-Diversity
-Density
-Vibrancy

Also, Boston's Metro West and North Shore are outrageously expensive and overpriced. And, the people who live there are classist a*holes.

Chicago all the way
Isn't the North Side of Chicago extremely white, and not that diverse? Furthermore, Boston proper's actual core is very dense and vibrant, but not diverse.

Some of the areas just outside of Boston are very dense, diverse, and vibrant-but i don't think they're part of the "iconic" core...even if they are part of the urban core (Everett Chelsea Malden Revere).

The density in these areas lack in comparison to the loop or much of the North Sie of Chicago but it's still very impressive.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Isn't the North Side of Chicago extremely white, and not that diverse? Furthermore, Boston proper's actual core is very dense and vibrant, but not diverse.

Some of the areas just outside of Boston are very dense, diverse, and vibrant-but i don't think they're part of the "iconic" core...even if they are part of the urban core (Everett Chelsea Malden Revere).

The density in these areas lack in comparison to the loop or much of the North Sie of Chicago but it's still very impressive.
Read post #15

Also side note: Boston's core (Outside the North End and Camerville) is sterile and bland compared to Chicago's.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 04-14-2021 at 07:03 AM..

Old 04-14-2021, 06:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Northside of Chicago is white/protestant and Jewish,esp along Sheridan Road .
Chicago the city is bankrupt,are they raising taxes ?

Old 04-14-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Read post #15

Also side note: Boston's core (Outside the North End and Camerville) is sterile and bland compared to Chicago's.
Just read it. Got ya.

I wouldn't call North End and Camberville the least sterile or least bland. Chinatown and Downtown Crossing are less sterile and less bland than those places IMO. Chelsea and Everett are definitely less sterile. South End may qualify here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City