Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick the winner (Yes, its' hard)
Chicago's North Side/Lakeshore out to its boutique suburbs 70 72.16%
Boston's metro zone to Marblehead/Gloucester/Rockport 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 07:43 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Just read it. Got ya.

I wouldn't call North End and Camberville the least sterile or least bland. Chinatown and Downtown Crossing are less sterile and less bland than those places IMO. Chelsea and Everett are definitely less sterile. South End may qualify here too.
Downtown Crossing is pretty bland. Its like a bunch of declining department stores and a few restaurants/cafes that will be heading out soon too.

Chinatown is really good, yeah forgot about that place. South End is sterilizing fast, especially the closer you get to the overpass and the pike. My only hope is that Fenway development. 140 restaurants and shopped/dining, alleys with outdoor seating.

idk I just feel most cities are getting more vibrant and Boston is lining formerly pedestrian heavy areas with Banks and sterilized street walls that do little to facilitate a good atmosphere. The Hub On Causeway was good, parcel 12 will be better, and the Fenway development will be a life saver in my opinion. But all in all, Boston has some catching up to especially compared to Chicago, Philadelphia and NY Area.

Chicago between Rogers Park and Old Town is amazing. Its diverse, cathcy, fun, lots to do/see/eat/shop at. It reminds me a little bit on how parts of Boston used to be. a little bit gritty but a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 08:03 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Downtown Crossing is pretty bland. Its like a bunch of declining department stores and a few restaurants/cafes that will be heading out soon too.

Chinatown is really good, yeah forgot about that place. South End is sterilizing fast, especially the closer you get to the overpass and the pike. My only hope is that Fenway development. 140 restaurants and shopped/dining, alleys with outdoor seating.

idk I just feel most cities are getting more vibrant and Boston is lining formerly pedestrian heavy areas with Banks and sterilized street walls that do little to facilitate a good atmosphere. The Hub On Causeway was good, parcel 12 will be better, and the Fenway development will be a life saver in my opinion. But all in all, Boston has some catching up to especially compared to Chicago, Philadelphia and NY Area.

Chicago between Rogers Park and Old Town is amazing. Its diverse, cathcy, fun, lots to do/see/eat/shop at. It reminds me a little bit on how parts of Boston used to be. a little bit gritty but a lot of fun.
Downtown Crossing is not bland! Huh? one of my favorite places to be and a good socioeconomic mix. It has Caffe Nero, Paramount Theatre, some nice restaurants, Sneakers/Urbanwearstores, pawnshops/jewelry exchanges, a food court, Primark (very cool store, not declining), street food, SideBar-love that place, Kung Fu (head shop/adult video store/kung fu movies on the second floor above where payless was) all types of minor drug dealers on the corners, a Grocery store. I'd consider it one of the gems of Boston and most vibrant areas-no doubt..tons of foot traffic.

How is the North End less bland than DTX? North End apart from the tourist trap markets (and done kind of nasty/grimy market for locals) isn't all that vibrant to me.

South End is the same South End its been for a while now-there really no significant change to the populace or to the stores-just infill. Objectivel,y this is evident in demographic data that supports this.. and just if you know the stores there you know it hasn't changed very much. Some nice parks and arts and a decent socioeconomic mix of people.

And of course, Chelsea Everett and even Allston are less sterile than Camberville or the North End. In general Boston isnt as vibrant as NYC Philly or Chicago and I think beyond puritanism-its smaller size, a lack of street grid, and the MassPike Canyon have something to do with that.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:18 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Chicago's glorious north side, easily.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Downtown Crossing is not bland! Huh? one of my favorite places to be and a good socioeconomic mix. It has Caffe Nero, Paramount Theatre, some nice restaurants, Sneakers/Urbanwearstores, pawnshops/jewelry exchanges, a food court, Primark (very cool store, not declining), street food, SideBar-love that place, Kung Fu (head shop/adult video store/kung fu movies on the second floor above where payless was) all types of minor drug dealers on the corners, a Grocery store. I'd consider it one of the gems of Boston and most vibrant areas-no doubt..tons of foot traffic.

How is the North End less bland than DTX? North End apart from the tourist trap markets (and done kind of nasty/grimy market for locals) isn't all that vibrant to me.

South End is the same South End its been for a while now-there really no significant change to the populace or to the stores-just infill. Objectivel,y this is evident in demographic data that supports this.. and just if you know the stores there you know it hasn't changed very much. Some nice parks and arts and a decent socioeconomic mix of people.

And of course, Chelsea Everett and even Allston are less sterile than Camberville or the North End. In general Boston isnt as vibrant as NYC Philly or Chicago and I think beyond puritanism-its smaller size, a lack of street grid, and the MassPike Canyon have something to do with that.
Downtown Crossing is a few department stores, chain cafes and banks. You go to DTX for cafe Nero? Maybe it was because I saw DTX at a higher peak, but right now it is for sure, disappointing for being the 'crossroads/center of Boston'. I find it very underwhelming.. maybe it will round a corner. Foot traffic in DTX is also down considerably in the past

The North End has some of the best Italian food, bakeries and cocktail bars in Boston/the country. The streets are pre-Civil War and there are shops and tons of family owned restaurants. Chains and corporate stuff are a no from me. You just dont go to Mikes Pastry and the 5-6 restaurants that area tourist trap .. and you have the best Little Italy out there.

There are some parts of Boston that are obviously not sterile/bland.. but there isnt much going on there I don't call the Encore with $22 hamburgers all that hoppin'. Compared to Chicago/NY/Philly (And yes, that is what Im using for a standard) Boston is not all that fun/hoppin/vibrant

Old 04-14-2021, 08:31 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Quote:
Boston is not all that fun/hoppin/vibrant
Relative to Chicago, Boston isn’t that fun or vibrant.. At night.

During the day, the truth is, Boston is about as vibrant and sees about as much foot traffic as any city at street level. All of us who have lived there know, there are days where it’s nearly unbearable. No parking, people everywhere, duck boast and tour buses as far as the eye can see. The city BUZZES during peak hours and in peak seasons. The harbor is full, the Charles is full, things going on in every corner of the core.

I’d separate fun and hoppin’ nightlife vs. vibrancy of the city. Very different things.

A late spring or early fall day in Boston is elite, almost European Cityesque is daytime vibrancy.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Relative to Chicago, Boston isn’t that fun or vibrant.. At night.

During the day, the truth is, Boston is about as vibrant and sees about as much foot traffic as any city at street level. All of us who have lived there know, there are days where it’s nearly unbearable. No parking, people everywhere, duck boast and tour buses as far as the eye can see. The city BUZZES during peak hours and in peak seasons.

I’d separate fun and hoppin’ nightlife vs. vibrancy of the city. Very different things.

A late spring or early fall day in Boston is elite, almost European in daytime vibrancy.
Agreed with last part. A quick stroll/walk through the Common, Beaocn Hill, back Bay and North End shows you the best Boston offers with top tier weather and amazing scenery. Definitely feels European.

Regarding foot traffic in Boston (Pre covid).. its declined a bit, and the offerings Boston have pale in comparison to Chicago. Food quality, variety in proximity, etc.

Like the North End is great, Boston does specialize in Italian food in its center core.. but I wish things overlapped/mixed in better.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Agreed with last part. A quick stroll/walk through the Common, Beaocn Hill, back Bay and North End shows you the best Boston offers with top tier weather and amazing scenery. Definitely feels European.

Regarding foot traffic in Boston (Pre covid).. its declined a bit, and the offerings Boston have pale in comparison to Chicago. Food quality, variety in proximity, etc.

Like the North End is great, Boston does specialize in Italian food in its center core.. but I wish things overlapped/mixed in better.
Absolutely, though pre-covid foot traffic in Boston was at an all time high (city jobs, population, and tourism will prove that).

I can't say this enough to people in Boston, or from anywhere for that matter. DT Chicago and the more immediate neighborhoods offer endless options- Food, bars, nightlife, museums, lake front, parks, tourists destinations. It's a wagon of a city.

There is only one city that outbids Chicago in North America. The rest just categorically don't stack up.

There was a thread about DC vs. Chicago, and people from DC were saying how much more there is to do in DC.. To that i'd say, for a tourist? Or for an everyday resident. The former, fine. The latter, the two cities aren't even playing the same sport. DCs everyday amenities and desirable neighborhoods could almost fit inside of Lincoln Park itself, no exaggeration needed. Same can be said about Boston proper.

In fairness to Boston, as you move from downtown into Brookline, Cambridge, and Somerville, Boston's core expands and so do the amenities. But it's still not that close compared to Chicago's Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, West Loop, Wicker Park, Bucktown.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Absolutely, though pre-covid foot traffic in Boston was at an all time high (city jobs, population, and tourism will prove that).

I can't say this enough to people in Boston, or from anywhere for that matter. DT Chicago and the more immediate neighborhoods offer endless options- Food, bars, nightlife, museums, lake front, parks, tourists destinations. It's a wagon of a city.

There is only one city that outbids Chicago in North America. The rest just categorically don't stack up.

There was a thread about DC vs. Chicago, and people from DC were saying how much more there is to do in DC.. To that i'd say, for a tourist? Or for an everyday resident. The former, fine. The latter, the two cities aren't even playing the same sport. DCs everyday amenities and desirable neighborhoods could almost fit inside of Lincoln Park itself, no exaggeration needed. Same can be said about Boston proper.

In fairness to Boston, as you move from downtown into Brookline, Cambridge, and Somerville, Boston's core expands and so do the amenities. But it's still not that close compared to Chicago's Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, West Loop, Wicker Park, Bucktown.
Yeah compared to Chicago.. I was blown away in the area between Loop and Rogers park/Evanston. It was probably the most continuously diverse and integrated area Ive ever seen. It was vibrant, just so unqiue. It was spectacular.

I even think Roger's Park is amazing.. idk, compared to Boston... Chicago blows it away and it isnt close by any margin.

The one thing i will always give Boston credit for.. is the best Little Italy. lol

Old 04-14-2021, 10:03 AM

1,122 posts, read 926,121 times
^^some bad news: Maria's Pastry Shop,
(home of the most insane Sicilian pizza of all time) is gone.
We still have the original Regina (by O. N. Church) and Santarpio's (Eastie).

Boston neighborhoods were hit hard (early) in the pandemic, (see Chelsea)
and did so much harm to Boston's pedestrian traffic and streetwall.
We have to be patient. It will ALL come back eventually,
with denser neighborhoods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXqj3Xowhfg

Last edited by odurandina; 04-14-2021 at 10:21 AM..

Old 04-14-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Boston neighborhoods were hit hard (early) in the pandemic, (see Chelsea)
and did so much harm to Boston's pedestrian traffic and streetwall.
We have to be patient. It will ALL come back eventually,
with denser neighborhoods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXqj3Xowhfg
You should see Chicago. It’s a different city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City