Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City struggling to find identity?
NYC 1 0.81%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
Houston 14 11.29%
Phoenix 35 28.23%
Philadelphia 2 1.61%
San Antonio 4 3.23%
San Diego 2 1.61%
Dallas 13 10.48%
San Jose 53 42.74%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 09:52 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
San Jose.
At least San Jose has a SONG..... but since it isn't Rap it counts much less.
Enjoy the nostalgia for a bit ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJhXAXf9qA

We can't let San Francisco out with its classic 60s songs... This one #1 for me.
Sorry.... again it isn't Rap, but it has a calm, peace and understanding we lack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZcyRLtwUVY

No Rap.... but great scene and legacy of a era that is mostly no more.....
I know too.... TOO MUCH BOOMER stuff. But thread went off on music again .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 09:56 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If we are talking from a pure historic impact standpoint, I would agree that Philadelphia is right there with them. But it's more than just that. Kanye West and Travis Scott have the hottest hip-hop rapper designed shoes on the market. What does Philly have? Miami is one of the only cities since the 2010s (and prior) to possibly overtake Atlanta as the hottest city in hip hop. Then whether its lean, chiraq, south beach, alcoholic beverages, non-alcoholic beverages (hello exotic pop), designers, etc, all of these are continuing some sort of overall trend.
That's why I say, serious question, what does Philly have in comparison in recent years?

Why are we just going to discount modern history as if it didn't exist? Philly hasn't been inactive by any means, but it's definitely been less active than all of the top 5 by a good margin. Philly without a doubt has the history, but you have to add modern era too. Of course to be fair, with that argument, Memphis loses ground.
So you're ranking is based on if a city is trendy in todays age. I see. Well then Philly should be happy not to be high up today. I will agree to disagree.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:13 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So you're ranking is based on if a city is trendy in todays age. I see. Well then Philly should be happy not to be high up today. I will agree to disagree.
I'm using both in my ranking. If I did just trending right now this moment in hip hop, it would be like this.

1. Miami/Atlanta (Miami slight lead just right now)
3. LA
4. Chicago
5. NYC/Houston (very slight lead Houston)
7. SF Bay Area

Gets blurry after that. I may have missed someone and this can easily change at any given moment.

If we did Historic impact alone, Detroit could get a spot, and Houston and Philly would be in the same tier, as you mentioned above.

Btw, why do you say Philly should be happy to not be high up today?

Old 04-18-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
At least San Jose has a SONG..... but since it isn't Rap it counts much less.
Enjoy the nostalgia for a bit ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJhXAXf9qA

We can't let San Francisco out with its classic 60s songs... This one #1 for me.
Sorry.... again it isn't Rap, but it has a calm, peace and understanding we lack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZcyRLtwUVY

No Rap.... but great scene and legacy of a era that is mostly no more.....
I know too.... TOO MUCH BOOMER stuff. But thread went off on music again .....
These songs are muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more of a statement than hip hop could ever desire to be.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
I went with San Jose.

Even though it's well known as a tech center, people still don't really think of it as a major city in its own right. Most people certainly don't know that it has a significantly higher population than both San Francisco and Oakland.

Also, it only has one major league sports team, and that being in the country's least popular major sport (NHL). All of the other cities on the list have multiple major sports teams.

Even San Francisco and Oakland have multiple teams.

Edit: Oops, San Antonio only has one team, but the Spurs are quite popular nationally unlike the Sharks...

Old 04-22-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I went with San Jose.

Even though it's well known as a tech center, people still don't really think of it as a major city in its own right. Most people certainly don't know that it has a significantly higher population than both San Francisco and Oakland.

Also, it only has one major league sports team, and that being in the country's least popular major sport (NHL). All of the other cities on the list have multiple major sports teams.

Even San Francisco and Oakland have multiple teams.

Edit: Oops, San Antonio only has one team, but the Spurs are quite popular nationally unlike the Sharks...
If you count MLS, San Jose also has the Earthquakes. I wouldn't consider the MLS a major league, though.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:13 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If you count MLS, San Jose also has the Earthquakes. I wouldn't consider the MLS a major league, though.
Neither would I. I don't think I could name more than a handful of teams, if that. I meant the Big Four.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Neither would I. I don't think I could name more than a handful of teams, if that. I meant the Big Four.
That, but also, the best soccer players in the world don't play in the MLS. They play in the big 5 leagues in Europe (Premier, Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga, and Ligue 1). You often see MLS players get really good and catch the eye of a Euro team and thus leave.

NHL isn't too popular the way NBA and NFL are, but all of the best hockey players in the world go to the NHL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City