Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City struggling to find identity?
NYC 1 0.81%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
Houston 14 11.29%
Phoenix 35 28.23%
Philadelphia 2 1.61%
San Antonio 4 3.23%
San Diego 2 1.61%
Dallas 13 10.48%
San Jose 53 42.74%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 10:44 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,427,004 times

Advertisements

San Jose. Could not tell you one thing about it besides Silicon Valley. I had no idea until recently it was even a large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 10:59 AM

1,122 posts, read 927,393 times
I always figured Nordstrom to be from Hotlanta.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:14 AM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times
Nordstrom and the Nordstrom family certainly have an impact in Seattle. And visitors are apparently half of the customer base of the flagship store. But I suspect it's way down the list if people start throwing out words for the Seattle brand, and many don't know the connection.

People don't know these things. Until HQ2 a lot of people probably thought Amazon was from the San Francisco area.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:36 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,719,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The TV show? Maybe, but almost anyone who knows anything about that show is an aging population.

JFK? No. That one is specific to Dallas.

State Fair? Sure. The slightly more popular Houston Rodeo is also extremely old school Texan, but I'd say the State Fair "out-Texas" the Houston Rodeo, because the Rodeo also implements local culture. Heck "Houston Rodeo" vs "Texas State Fair" the name shows this. And Austin's SXSW obviously is far less Texan than both.

Neiman Marcus? How is this Texan at all?

Central location? Sure, I'd say this gives it some pointers over why its Texan over Houston. But then again, Austin is seen as even less "Texan" than both Houston and Dallas, yet it's right in the center of the state.

Well rounded economy? No. Texas stereotypes are O&G and cattle.

Houston and Austin have individualized themselves from the state more than Dallas whether on purpose or naturally. Dallas is beginning to individualize itself more, but of these three, if one thinks old school Texan, Dallas comes to mind more than the other two. The things that hold weight in Dallas are just generally more Texan.

For Houston, it's done this for decades with NASA, Texas Medical Center, prominent Hip-hop culture, it's ties to the south, etc.

For Austin, it was quiet and now that it's loud, it's your white liberal capital.

Meanwhile what holds most weight in Dallas pop culture wise with the Cowboys and outsiders often literally think it's cowboyish there and I just laugh at them.
Maybe I misunderstood your post, which I thought was about why Dallas is the first big city that tends to come to mind when people think of Texas.

Not all (or even most) of the reasons why are explicitly "Texan."

Old 04-15-2021, 11:52 AM

9,914 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Maybe I misunderstood your post, which I thought was about why Dallas is the first big city that tends to come to mind when people think of Texas.

Not all (or even most) of the reasons why are explicitly "Texan."
That response was to Dallas being the city to most showcase Texas identity of all Texas cities. Which is true, even as Dallas is starting to form its own. As you mentioned, Fort Worth is the major city who most has that old School Texan mindset, but it’s name doesn’t hold near enough weight as compared to Houston, Austin, Dallas and even San Antonio. I would like to say the old school Texan identity is going away, but it seems like something always takes Texas back there. The laughing stock of the winter storm and republicans response certainly didn’t help. Whether Houston or Austin is more individualized, that’s for the jury to decide. But what keeps Dallas as the most “Texan†of the majors is pretty obvious to me. The Cowboys, Big Tex, and Austin and Houston identifying with white liberal and prominent Hip Hop culture are the drivers.

Of the points you mentioned, the State Fair and tv show give it a Texas feel. But as mentioned above, the tv show’s audience is extremely aging. Most people my age, below and slightly above May not even know about it let alone know what it’s about. But I’m with you on the State Fair. Despite the Houston Rodeo getting more attendance, they do a better job of mixing in some Houston culture than the State Fair does of mixing in Dallas culture. While SXSW has very little “Texanâ€. But some of the other points neither do anything for popularity nor Texan identity. JFK and Neiman Marcus headquarters... really?

Old 04-15-2021, 02:52 PM

36,664 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
That response was to Dallas being the city to most showcase Texas identity of all Texas cities. Which is true, even as Dallas is starting to form its own.
This is why I rather think Dallas is the answer to this thread: IMO, very little about the city's image is really attributed to the city itself but rather the entire state of Texas. That's no knock, but rather an observation.

Houston and San Antonio definitely have qualities that define them as cities imo, Dallas not so much.

Again, this is just my observation.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:05 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is why I rather think Dallas is the answer to this thread: IMO, very little about the city's image is really attributed to the city itself but rather the entire state of Texas. That's no knock, but rather an observation.

Houston and San Antonio definitely have qualities that define them as cities imo, Dallas not so much.

Again, this is just my observation.
And it's why I had it tied for second to last.

1. Phoenix
2. Dallas/San Jose

Austin has also showcased its uniqueness since last decade with white liberal culture, ACL, SXSW. Unlike RodeoHouston and the State Fair, SXSW has 0 Texas ties to it.

Despite what you (and I) said, Dallas still has more urban identity san SJ. But the Silicon Valley automatically gives SJ more of an identity despite that.

On the other hand, Phoenix doesn't have much of an identity at all outside of the desert and cacti. And that's why this one was first for me.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 04-15-2021 at 03:14 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 09:14 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,824,082 times
Quote:
On the other hand, Phoenix doesn't have much of an identity at all outside of the desert and cacti. And that's why this one was first for me.
I don't agree. Phoenix may not have historic urban bones (after all, it was a small town before the advent of air conditioning and in the early days, people weren't moving to Phoenix to live in high rises and ride streetcars) but it definitely as an identity and a unique feel.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:25 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Deserts and the Arizona Cardinals? Im not sure. Midwestern and California retirees? The definition of urban sprawl. Im not sure.

What even is Phoenix or San Jose.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:27 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't agree. Phoenix may not have historic urban bones (after all, it was a small town before the advent of air conditioning and in the early days, people weren't moving to Phoenix to live in high rises and ride streetcars) but it definitely as an identity and a unique feel.
Which is what? It seems everyone is struggling to define it on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City