Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City struggling to find identity?
NYC 1 0.81%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
Houston 14 11.29%
Phoenix 35 28.23%
Philadelphia 2 1.61%
San Antonio 4 3.23%
San Diego 2 1.61%
Dallas 13 10.48%
San Jose 53 42.74%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 09:31 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't agree. Phoenix may not have historic urban bones (after all, it was a small town before the advent of air conditioning and in the early days, people weren't moving to Phoenix to live in high rises and ride streetcars) but it definitely as an identity and a unique feel.
Most people disagree, but I respect your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
My opinion of most to least would be as follows:

NYC
Philly
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Antonio
Houston
San Diego
San Jose/Dallas
Phoenix
Never really thought of Houston as having a strong brand or identity. Oil/energy? NASA? TMC? Is that even an identity? Does that even accurately apply to the whole region?

I think I'd swap SD and Houston. SD's identity might not be super unique from LA, but there's no question what that identity is: SoCal city with beach/coastal proximity, weather, military, mexican culture, theme parks/zoo. That identity is uniformly found across the entire region...literally every corner. It's presence and universal recognition is strong

Old 04-15-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Never really thought of Houston as having a strong brand or identity. Oil/energy? NASA? TMC? Is that even an identity? Does that even accurately apply to the whole region?

I think I'd swap SD and Houston. SD's identity might not be super unique from LA, but there's no question what that identity is: SoCal city with beach/coastal proximity, weather, military, mexican culture, theme parks/zoo. That identity is uniformly found across the entire region...literally every corner. It's presence and universal recognition is strong
Houston is quite a bit less uniquely identified as opposed to a Chicago. But I'd put Houston easily over San Diego and it's not close in my opinion. Those two have a big gap in my opinion. Many would even have Houston over San Antonio. I don't because Tex Mex is so unique as opposed to the rest of the nation

As for what you stated stated energy? yes. TMC? yes. NASA? maybe not, but it still implements it to the local culture. The Rockets, Astros and Aeros are named that way for a reason. They're building the world's first commercial spaceport, so while it's a niche, it's a growing one.

But that's not really it. In the hip hop and black culture heavy 2020s, Houston is one of the more influential cities.. San Diego? Not so much. LA and SF? yes but not SD. And not to mention how people falsely call Houston America's most diverse city, but it's still synonymous for diversity. Maybe 15 years ago, San Diego would be on top, but these days? I don't see how. That's just me though.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:57 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
I think we might be prioritizing the notion of how urban a city is or is perceived to be, as being the defining characteristic of 'identity', as if being less urban therefore means you are having an identity crisis-that's just not the case imo.

I think Dallas and Phoenix are both city personfications of their respective states to a point that their actual city image might be more difficult to pinpoint.

Just a thought.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think we might be prioritizing the notion of how urban a city is or is perceived to be, as being the defining characteristic of 'identity', as if being less urban therefore means you are having an identity crisis-that's just not the case imo.

I think Dallas and Phoenix are both city personfications of their respective states to a point that their actual city image might be more difficult to pinpoint.

Just a thought.
I think it's more than that. LA is a personification of California, but it still has it's unique identity as a city.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Houston is quite a bit less uniquely identified as opposed to a Chicago. But I'd put Houston easily over San Diego and it's not close in my opinion. Those two have a big gap in my opinion. Many would even have Houston over San Antonio. I don't because Tex Mex is so unique as opposed to the rest of the nation

As for what you stated stated energy? yes. TMC? yes. NASA? maybe not, but it still implements it to the local culture. The Rockets, Astros and Aeros are named that way for a reason. They're building the world's first commercial spaceport, so while it's a niche, it's a growing one.

But that's not really it. In the hip hop and black culture heavy 2020s, Houston is one of the more influential cities.. San Diego? Not so much. LA and SF? yes but not SD. And not to mention how people falsely call Houston America's most diverse city, but it's still synonymous for diversity. Maybe 15 years ago, San Diego would be on top, but these days? I don't see how. That's just me though.
A single industry or a medical complex defines Houston's identity? Is that some universal lifestyle? Is that even an attribute across the region? I could see a better argument for hip hop, but I'm unconvinced that's some universal identity. Is that really how locals and outsiders identify Houston? Seems pretty irrelevant and non-applicable to most people.

San Diego's identity--SoCal beach towns, weather, military, mexican culture, etc.--is unquestionably accepted and well-known for both locals and outsiders. The entire region hugs the coast, offering year-round temperate weather and outdoor activities. Military members+bases are everywhere, as are Mexican influences. These attributes define every perception of the city and are widely displayed throughout the entire region. There's no mistaking what the identity and key attributes of San Diego are.

Houston...oil? gulf? Texas? hip hop? Honestly struggling to figure out its identity. Maybe locals have a better idea, but I sure don't.

Last edited by newgensandiego; 04-15-2021 at 11:43 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
A single industry or a medical complex defines Houston's identity? Is that some universal lifestyle? Is that even an attribute across the region? I could see a better argument for hip hop, but I'm unconvinced that's some universal identity. Is that really how locals and outsiders identify Houston? Seems pretty irrelevant to most people.

San Diego's identity--SoCal beach towns, weather, military, mexican culture, etc.--is unquestionably accepted and well-known for both locals and outsiders. These attributes define every perception of the city and are widely displayed throughout the entire region. There's no mistaking what the identity and key attributes of San Diego are.
At first, I thought it was kind of funny how you're saying industries are irrelevant to outsiders, yet you bring up military. Then I noticed you have "San Diego" in your name. Houston's energy ties hold a thousand times more weight than San Diego's military ties to outsiders. Houston is more known for it's international culture than San Diego is its Mexican culture. I realize California Mexicans are a big thing (as are Tejanos by the way), but more people associate California Mexicans with LA. Since you grew up/live there/have it in your name, it holds more weight to you personally but to outsiders, not so much.

Hip hop being "just within music" can be said for more places. Houston along with Atlanta, Miami, NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Philly are all synonymous of hip hop. It's not just a local thing in any of those. "H-Town in my cup" and similar phrases is said more by outsiders than it is by locals. As I said before and I will again, hip hop culture is synonymous with modern culture. I understand this is an aging site and it's hard to understand this but that's how it is. That doesn't mean we find what's said in hip hop are "relevant", but growing up hearing things, we get some sort of identity from them.

And on to your industry argument.. For a single industry adding identity to an entire city or region, it's true in some examples. Energy to Houston, Technology for San Jose (or Bay Area, take your pick) and Finance for New York and film for LA, those four are very applicable. It's not the only thing that applies to either of those (other than maybe San Jose), but it's a huge part of each of their identities. San Diego and military? not so much.

As for San Diego, it's not that what you're saying doesn't tie to San Diego, but all that is generic and more tied to other parts of Cali. While those things put it above Phoenix and San Jose, they aren't really neither unique nor tied enough for what holds to San Diego as compared to Houston's ties. You didn't bring those things up for no reason, so I doubt even you mis-tie them. You brought those up yourself for a reason.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 04-16-2021 at 12:19 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 11:55 PM

Most to least with identity

NYC

(gap)

Philly
Chicago

(gap)

Los Angeles

(gap)

San Antonio
Houston

(gap)

San Diego

(gap)

Dallas
San Jose

(gap)

Phoenix

Old 04-16-2021, 03:37 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
San José.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Most to least with identity

NYC

(gap)

Philly
Chicago

(gap)

Los Angeles

(gap)

San Antonio
Houston

(gap)

San Diego

(gap)

Dallas
San Jose

(gap)

Phoenix
I feel like Philly should be above NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City