Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 10:45 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Is Annapolis really the suburbs of Baltimore...given it is the state Capitol?? I thought Baltimore wealth was more concentrated in its NorthWestern suburbs...?? And the Baltimore money pocket was in that Northwestern part of the burbs....

The Baltimore - DC corridor blends quite easily... but DC is actually a little closer to Annapolis than Baltimore is...
I was in Annapolis on Friday.

It's about equal distance to both cities, but honestly has a bit of it's own sense of place separate from the two cities themselves. The Eastern most DC suburbs are pretty darn close to Annapolis though.

Baltimore's trophy suburb would be Towson, or Ellicott City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 01:56 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

It's about equal distance to both cities, but honestly has a bit of it's own sense of place separate from the two cities themselves. The Eastern most DC suburbs are pretty darn close to Annapolis though.

Though ISTR it's possible to travel from Baltimore to Annapolis on MTA Maryland buses, while this isn't an option for DC residents.

As for Elicott City: Assuming it doesn't wash away in the near future.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:14 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Portland, OR
City: Laurelhurst
Suburb: Lake Oswego

Spokane, WA
City: Cliff/Cannon
Suburb: Liberty Lake

Old 04-19-2021, 02:20 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Yes... I agree with you 100%..

Annapolis is really its own place. And not a DC or Baltimore suburb. It is the state capital of Maryland.

For Baltimore suburbs.. the Northwest burbs are the trophy winners.

For DC suburbs... it is the McLean to Tysons corner and the Bethesda to Potomac corridor....

Annapolis is just Annapolis. It has some old money, some new money, and it really is its own thing.....

Annapolis and right across the Bay on the Eastern Shore of Maryland is actually home to quite a bit of old money vacation homes and not really suburban full time residents to the Baltimore metro......

It's almost like saying Wilmington, Delaware is the suburb of Philadelphia.... when Wilmington is kind of also its own thing.... Even though they are part of the same MSA area... Wilmington is its own area....

Old 04-19-2021, 03:00 PM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston

Orlando
City- Lake Eola
Suburb- Winter Park or Bay Lake
Really???
What part of "Lake Eola?"
Eola Heights has some nice homes for sure, but as a whole, I don't think anyone singles that out as the epitome of upper-class Orlando... It's downtown, and gets lots of riff-raff spill that comes with it.

Not dismissing your opinion, just curious as to why you picked that above other places... And... What part of Lake Eola, too.

And your "Bay Lake" response makes no sense. Bay Lake is practically all Disney. Does anyone actually live there?

Old 04-19-2021, 10:01 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
San Diego

City- La Jolla (most don’t know it’s the city of SD)

Suburb- Coronado (strong case can be made for Del Mar)
La Jolla 100%. Mission Hills, Pt. Loma, and Carmel Valley a very distant second.

I think Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe are a bit more exclusive. Less touristy, trafficked, and noisy from naval station compared to Coronado. I'd put Poway, Solana Beach, Encinitas, and Carlsbad after those three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City