Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these major cities would you feel comfortable walking alone at night in?
San Francisco, California 2 2.78%
Los Angeles, California 0 0%
Las Vegas, Nevada 1 1.39%
Seattle, Washington 8 11.11%
Chicago, Illinois 7 9.72%
Austin, Texas 5 6.94%
Dallas, Texas 2 2.78%
New Orleans, Louisiana 1 1.39%
New York City 6 8.33%
Boston, Massachusetts 9 12.50%
Washington DC 0 0%
Atlanta, Georgia 1 1.39%
Miami, Florida 0 0%
Denver, Colorado 5 6.94%
Portland, Oregon 1 1.39%
San Diego, California 10 13.89%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2 2.78%
Orlando, Florida 2 2.78%
Other. Please comment. 3 4.17%
Forget that! I never walk alone at night. 7 9.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 12:55 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Every city has areas that are better than others for walking alone in at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 01:00 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Would feel fine in most of these, but yeah Seattle is probably the single safest-feeling one. I'd even give it the slight edge over Portland, some of the gas stations and mini-marts in east Portland have a lot of weird drugged-out people after midnight, whereas in Seattle they're mostly closed.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:01 PM

365 posts, read 229,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm judging the person who's scared to walk around Seattle.
I'd say the same about Denver. Never been anywhere in Denver that felt even remotely unsafe.

The only area of Seattle I wouldn't want to walk around at night (if I was female, or if I wasn't armed) would be Aurora Ave. north of 85th, because there's literally no one walking except prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers and junkies, and people WILL assume you are one of those things. There are some other dicey areas in SODO and the South End but nothing I'd be too worried about as long as you keep to yourself.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:03 PM

117 posts, read 80,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Would feel fine in most of these, but yeah Seattle is probably the single safest-feeling one. I'd even give it the slight edge over Portland, some of the gas stations and mini-marts in east Portland have a lot of weird drugged-out people after midnight, whereas in Seattle they're mostly closed.
Hard disagree - Seattle feels safe for the most part but there are some somewhat sketchy areas to walk in at night. San Diego and Denver I literally would feel safe walking anywhere in those cities.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:07 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
I wish the poll was multiple choice, I feel comfortable in most of them.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
I'd say the same about Denver. Never been anywhere in Denver that felt even remotely unsafe.

The only area of Seattle I wouldn't want to walk around at night (if I was female, or if I wasn't armed) would be Aurora Ave. north of 85th, because there's literally no one walking except prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers and junkies, and people WILL assume you are one of those things. There are some other dicey areas in SODO and the South End but nothing I'd be too worried about as long as you keep to yourself.
There's areas like that here but they don't scare me. Colfax to be specific but its a major road. I had one lady telling me how bad some parts of Denver are and I just can't help but laugh.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:15 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
Hard disagree - Seattle feels safe for the most part but there are some somewhat sketchy areas to walk in at night. San Diego and Denver I literally would feel safe walking anywhere in those cities.
Well it's all relative, and it's also what you're familiar with. The area in Denver south of Dry Gulch Park felt kinda run-down and creepy at night but I was only there for a couple days, never been to San Diego.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:22 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
San Diego
DC
Raleigh
Boston
New York City
Chicago
Orlando
Greensboro
Philadelphia

in that order. DC has been the safest 'dangerous' city to walk around in by far. Idk, something about it.

Im a white male.. so im sure these lists would differe with different races/genders.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:02 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
San Diego
DC
Raleigh
Boston
New York City
Chicago
Orlando
Greensboro
Philadelphia

in that order. DC has been the safest 'dangerous' city to walk around in by far. Idk, something about it.

I'm a white male.. so I'm sure these lists would different with different races/genders.
I agree with this but I might flip Boston and NYC simply because there police everywhere in NYC. That being said there are more folks out on the street at night which is good and bad. Denver would go ahead of them both.

I have a hard time imagining Orlando not being safe to walk around at night unless you're talking about its teeny downtown. Which I've never been too. It feels like it's just a lot of subdivisions.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:03 PM

365 posts, read 229,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's areas like that here but they don't scare me. Colfax to be specific but its a major road. I had one lady telling me how bad some parts of Denver are and I just can't help but laugh.
Aside from Oakland and LA, I've found that major Western cities just don't have real ghettos, like you'll find in the Midwest, South and parts of the Northeast. Sure, they all have their sketchy areas, but it's just completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City