Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these major cities would you feel comfortable walking alone at night in?
San Francisco, California 2 2.78%
Los Angeles, California 0 0%
Las Vegas, Nevada 1 1.39%
Seattle, Washington 8 11.11%
Chicago, Illinois 7 9.72%
Austin, Texas 5 6.94%
Dallas, Texas 2 2.78%
New Orleans, Louisiana 1 1.39%
New York City 6 8.33%
Boston, Massachusetts 9 12.50%
Washington DC 0 0%
Atlanta, Georgia 1 1.39%
Miami, Florida 0 0%
Denver, Colorado 5 6.94%
Portland, Oregon 1 1.39%
San Diego, California 10 13.89%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2 2.78%
Orlando, Florida 2 2.78%
Other. Please comment. 3 4.17%
Forget that! I never walk alone at night. 7 9.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 02:21 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times

Advertisements

Varies so much based on the section of each city and what I'm carrying at the time that it's hard to really give a straight answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 02:22 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I agree with this but I might flip Boston and NYC simply because there police everywhere in NYC. That being said there are more folks out on the street at night which is good and bad. Denver would go ahead of them both.

I have a hard time imagining Orlando not being safe to walk around at night unless you're talking about its teeny downtown. Which I've never been too. It feels like it's just a lot of subdivisions.
While NYC has definitely improved recently, i still think Boston feels safer than NYC to walk around. I rarely get weird there. I feel the homelessness issue in NYC is what makes me feel most unsafe, if it was cleaned up a little bit it would be better.

And nah I lived in an “upscale†neighborhood of Orlando and there were constantly gun fights. Its downtown at night is creepy and i dont feel totally comfortable. Orlando is a place that seems great until you actually live there. There were mad sketchy crap in Orlando.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
While NYC has definitely improved recently, i still think Boston feels safer than NYC to walk around. I rarely get weird there. I feel the homelessness issue in NYC is what makes me feel most unsafe, if it was cleaned up a little bit it would be better.

And nah I lived in an “upscale†neighborhood of Orlando and there were constantly gun fights. Its downtown at night is creepy and i dont feel totally comfortable. Orlando is a place that seems great until you actually live there. There were mad sketchy crap in Orlando.
Yeah parts of Orlando can keep you on your toes for sure. There's like this weird backwoods vibe there even right near downtown you get some of that layered on top of the low income urban surroundings.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:39 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:

And nah I lived in an “upscale†neighborhood of Orlando and there were constantly gun fights. Its downtown at night is creepy and i don't feel totally comfortable. Orlando is a place that seems great until you actually live there. There were mad sketchy crap in Orlando.
I think I've just been in the common/downtown Chinatown too much at night. Sketchy and zero police presence. Just drug addicts, homeless and few normal people being cautious.

And I can not bring myself to walk through Grove Hall at night. Also zero police presence.

Most anything along Blue Hill Avenue is a no-go for walking when it dark. On two occasions I've gotten out of my car to pump gas or head to the liquor and heard the fights escalating I just got right back in my car and pulled off. One was at the Mobil in Egleston and another was in a liquor store ust south of Ali'sRoti.

I'll never forget coming back from Hartford late one night getting out of South Station and right in front of South Station was bis of police tape and blood stains from a stabbing that happened a few hours earlier.

Or the time I was walking to McDonlads and a shooting was going down at Towns Field.

For those reasons, I'm scarred from walking in certain parts of Boston at night. Nevermind all the BS ive seen in Dorchester in the day including a man pulling a MASSIVE btucher knife out on the entire train car as we pulled into Ashmont int the middle of the afternoon...threatening to stab anyone who stared at him.

NYC has more sketchy character at night, for sure, but I always see police. Boston is kind of just, whatever happens, is going to happen and you're on your own. Since the streets are emptier.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:57 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
I think I've just been in the common/downtown Chinatown too much at night. Sketchy and zero police presence. Just drug addicts, homeless and few normal people being cautious.

And I can not bring myself to walk through Grove Hall at night. Also zero police presence.

Most anything along Blue Hill Avenue is a no-go for walking when it dark. On two occasions I've gotten out of my car to pump gas or head to the liquor and heard the fights escalating I just got right back in my car and pulled off. One was at the Mobil in Egleston and another was in a liquor store ust south of Ali'sRoti.

I'll never forget coming back from Hartford late one night getting out of South Station and right in front of South Station was bis of police tape and blood stains from a stabbing that happened a few hours earlier.

Or the time I was walking to McDonlads and a shooting was going down at Towns Field.

For those reasons, I'm scarred from walking in certain parts of Boston at night. Nevermind all the BS ive seen in Dorchester in the day including a man pulling a MASSIVE btucher knife out on the entire train car as we pulled into Ashmont int the middle of the afternoon...threatening to stab anyone who stared at him.

NYC has more sketchy character at night, for sure, but I always see police. Boston is kind of just, whatever happens, is going to happen and you're on your own. Since the streets are emptier.
I think if you see more in a city you know more. Im not sure if Ive ever walked in Dorchester at night.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I think if you see more in a city you know more. Im not sure if Ive ever walked in Dorchester at night.
Cousin Stizz said "come to where we from its really live, after dark you gotta stay inside" And not a lie was told. I always say when I walked out of a friend on Waverly Street in Grove Hall he gave a choice of an extendable police baton, a brick, and a knife to walk with. All of which he had at the ready in his living room bookshelf...

If I had to go with cities on this list where you could walk really anywhere at night it would probablly only be SD and maybe Denver and Seattle. Too many sketchy neighborhoods all over the country.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:22 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
I'd say the same about Denver. Never been anywhere in Denver that felt even remotely unsafe.

The only area of Seattle I wouldn't want to walk around at night (if I was female, or if I wasn't armed) would be Aurora Ave. north of 85th, because there's literally no one walking except prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers and junkies, and people WILL assume you are one of those things. There are some other dicey areas in SODO and the South End but nothing I'd be too worried about as long as you keep to yourself.
Out of those I would say Orlando, Florida felt safest. I don't think it is that safe but it's so clean it gives off an image of being safe plus it's rather crowded and Florida cities tend to have a very large number of police driving around on patrol compared to other cities, especially out West.

San Diego would be 2nd place but the 12th and Imperial area is quite rough and the Trolley stations tend to have alot more crime than other cities light-rail stations. The public transit in San Diego has alot more crime issues than other cities but overall much of San Diego is extremely safe by American standards.

I am curious how much of Denver did you walk around in? Larimer Square and Cherry Creek or Southeast Denver.

Denver like virtually all Western United States ignores the violent crime and social issues.

Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque all ignore the extreme amounts of violent crime that is far more widespread although not as intense in the rougher parts of their cities.

Countless amounts of people move to Denver thinking it is a paradise, with virtually no crime and virtually no social problems. The city and residents there downplay everything though.

Maybe in 2000 Denver was a very safe big city, but now it's a very violent city with violent crime that is very widespread throughout the city, although much less so in Southeastern part of city.

Denver has a very high violent crime rate. 97 homicides last year in the city of Denver in 2020.

High rates of robbery and very, very high rates of aggrevated assaults.

https://www.westword.com/news/denver...-2020-11922988

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-22-2021 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I am curious how much of Denver did you walk around in? Larimer Square and Cherry Creek or Southeast Denver.

Denver like virtually all Western United States ignores the violent crime and social issues.

Countless amounts of people move to Denver thinking it is a paradise, with virtually no crime and virtually no social problems. The city and residents there downplay everything though.

Maybe in 2000 Denver was a very safe big city, but now it's a very violent city with violent crime that is very widespread throughout the city, although much less so in Southeastern part of city.

Denver has a very high violent crime rate. 97 homicides last year in the city of Denver.

High rates of robbery and very, very high rates of aggrevated assaults.

https://www.westword.com/news/denver...-2020-11922988
I shouldn't have to say this but its because in the West their arent deep concentrations of Black people and if they're are it's usually a suburbanized environment that isnt foreboding. So that explains that perception/ "feel"

heres West Colfax in Denver: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7394...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7402...7i16384!8i8192

Five Points:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7605...7i16384!8i8192

East Colfax:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7365...7i16384!8i8192

Also as noted Denver surge in crime is very recent like within the last 5 years or so. and the crime seems pretty spread out compared to eastern cities.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:35 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Aside from Oakland and LA, I've found that major Western cities just don't have real ghettos, like you'll find in the Midwest, South and parts of the Northeast. Sure, they all have their sketchy areas, but it's just completely different.
The Western cities are much newer but nearly equally as bad and Western cities tend to have alot more rough surburban areas than the East. The violent crime tends to be very, very spread out in Western cities compared to Midwestern cities, Southern cities and Northeastern cities.

I notice in the Midwest cities they tend to have many very, very safe neighborhoods but the "rough" areas are usually very, very dangerous and the violent crime is extremely concentrated.

Phoenix has alot of violent crime but it's not concentrated, it is a moderately-high level of violent crime over a huge swath of the city.

Denver is very similar to Phoenix, it's a moderately-high level of violent crime but it is spread out over half the city.

Same could be said about Tucson, Albuquerque and many other Western cities. They don't have neighborhoods as rough as Baltimore and Philadelphia but the rough areas cover half or more or their city limits in many of these Western cities.

San Diego also has some rough areas but overall they are easily avoided and it is overall a very safe city by American standards. They do have alot of rough neighborhoods in the suburbs though, even more than the city itself.

San Diego seems to be one of the few metros, where there are far more homicides in the suburbs then the city itself.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Cousin Stizz said "come to where we from its really live, after dark you gotta stay inside" And not a lie was told. I always say when I walked out of a friend on Waverly Street in Grove Hall he gave a choice of an extendable police baton, a brick, and a knife to walk with. All of which he had at the ready in his living room bookshelf...

If I had to go with cities on this list where you could walk really anywhere at night it would probablly only be SD and maybe Denver and Seattle. Too many sketchy neighborhoods all over the country.
One time I was walking near there on W Cottage and cops swarmed by turned out someone had been shot dead. This was at 1:30 pm in the middle of the week. Needless to say I wouldn't be walking there at night.

In general walking around Boston at night is just dead quiet. If you go downtown or especially state street area at like 4am you could hear a pin drop. It's the same in a lot of neighborhoods. Used to walk around Rozzie a lot which was always quiet except for washington st and felt safe to me again except for washington st and a handful of side streets that there's no reason to go down.

I have seeen ppl breaking into cars at night and one time I saw a girl get jumped by a group of other girls while I was parked on a sidestreet off River St. Didn't know what to do cause so I just threw my highbeams on and droveup the street and they scattered. Seemed like they knew each other and she wasn't hurt but it was kind of weird to see, especially since I don't expect a group of young girls to be mugging people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City