Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these major cities would you feel comfortable walking alone at night in?
San Francisco, California 2 2.78%
Los Angeles, California 0 0%
Las Vegas, Nevada 1 1.39%
Seattle, Washington 8 11.11%
Chicago, Illinois 7 9.72%
Austin, Texas 5 6.94%
Dallas, Texas 2 2.78%
New Orleans, Louisiana 1 1.39%
New York City 6 8.33%
Boston, Massachusetts 9 12.50%
Washington DC 0 0%
Atlanta, Georgia 1 1.39%
Miami, Florida 0 0%
Denver, Colorado 5 6.94%
Portland, Oregon 1 1.39%
San Diego, California 10 13.89%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2 2.78%
Orlando, Florida 2 2.78%
Other. Please comment. 3 4.17%
Forget that! I never walk alone at night. 7 9.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 03:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I shouldn't have to say this but its because in the West their arent deep concentrations of Black people and if they're are it's usually a suburbanized environment that isnt foreboding. So that explains that perception/ "feel"

Also as noted Denver surge in crime is very recent like within the last 5 years or so. and the crime seems pretty spread out compared to eastern cities.
I feel like I am walking on eggshells here but some cities like Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix have extremely high rates of homicides in the latino community compared to Boston, New York City, Tampa, Orlando, San Diego.

The highest crime latino area of the Bronx, would likely be considered very safe compared to many of the hispanic majority areas of Denver.

The hispanic population likely commits violent crime at 10 times the rate in Albquerque, West Phoenix, Southwest Denver, Bakersfield, Fresno compared to the hispanic community in Hialeah or Kissimmee Florida.

I feel extremely, extremely safe in El Paso and Orlando's hispanic neighborhoods but that is certainly not the case in West Denver, Albuquerque, Bakersfield, Maryvale in Phoenix.

Phoenix, Denver, Albuquerque African-American populated tends to be much more well-off per-capita over the entire demographic than Eastern cities.

I rarely hear about violent crime with an African-American suspect in Phoenix, Denver, Albuerque certainly no more than average.

Whites tend to be commit far more violent crime in the Western cities per-capita than in the Midwest and especially Northeastern part of the country.

I think it is interesting how latino violent crime rates are very, very low in much in Florida and even in the heavily hispanic areas in NYC, Boston have fairly low rates of crime compared to cities like Denver, Albuqueruqe, Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 03:55 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
San Fran

Old 04-22-2021, 03:57 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I feel like I am walking on eggshells here but some cities like Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix have extremely high rates of homicides in the latino community compared to Boston, New York City, Tampa, Orlando, San Diego.

Phoenix, Denver, Albuquerque African-American populated tends to be much more well-off per-capita over the entire demographic than Eastern cities.

I rarely hear about violent crime with an African-American suspect in Phoenix, Denver, Albuerque certainly no more than average.

Whites tend to be commit far more violent crime in the Western cities per-capita than in the Midwest and especially Northeastern part of the country.

I think it is interesting how latino violent crime rates are very, very low in much in Florida and even in the heavily hispanic areas in NYC, Boston have fairly low rates of crime compared to cities like Denver, Albuqueruqe, Phoenix.
Phoenix and Albuq have a wild west feel to me. Like anything could go down and feels volatile on the streets. Even though they are way safer than the city I live in they don't necessarily feel safer walking around. Not sure about at night. I've never been to Denver but I'll admit I had stereotyped it as a safe yuppie city. Surprised their homicide rate is >10/100k since that would put them higher than NYC, Boston, Charlotte, LA

Old 04-22-2021, 04:00 PM

Also never been to Hialeah but I'm gonna be in that area next month so I might check it out. I mostly hear bad things about the place and yet it has one of the lowest homicide rates of any city in the country.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:01 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
One time I was walking near there on W Cottage and cops swarmed by turned out someone had been shot dead. This was at 1:30 pm in the middle of the week. Needless to say I wouldn't be walking there at night.

In general walking around Boston at night is just dead quiet. If you go downtown or especially state street area at like 4am you could hear a pin drop. It's the same in a lot of neighborhoods. Used to walk around Rozzie a lot which was always quiet except for washington st and felt safe to me again except for washington st and a handful of side streets that there's no reason to go down.

I have seeen ppl breaking into cars at night and one time I saw a girl get jumped by a group of other girls while I was parked on a sidestreet off River St. Didn't know what to do cause so I just threw my highbeams on and droveup the street and they scattered. Seemed like they knew each other and she wasn't hurt but it was kind of weird to see, especially since I don't expect a group of young girls to be mugging people
It's dead quiet all over- but if you walk in the high crime areas it's only criminals out-very sporadically though- that's why i don't feel safe in some places. You go down to like Lucerne Street or Talbot Ave or or in the Bowdoin Geneva/Grove Hall area and its not a good feeling. Too quiet (except for people fighting and car stereos), too dark. 85-90% of the city feels fine though.

Places in the South do feel much more uniformly wild west, and they are.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I shouldn't have to say this but its because in the West their arent deep concentrations of Black people and if they're are it's usually a suburbanized environment that isnt foreboding. So that explains that perception/ "feel"

heres West Colfax in Denver: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7394...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7402...7i16384!8i8192

Five Points:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7605...7i16384!8i8192

East Colfax:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7365...7i16384!8i8192

Also as noted Denver surge in crime is very recent like within the last 5 years or so. and the crime seems pretty spread out compared to eastern cities.
I don't know how familiar you are with, but Denver has a fairly high percentage of African-Americans for a Western city.

Denver's African-American populated must be one of the most well-off African-American populations for any metropolitan area in America. Wouldn't be surprised if Black per-capita incomes in Denver are above the white per-capita income's in many cities.

Aurora is 17% Black alone and 5% is bi-racial which is mainly non-hispanic White/Black so the percentage is Black and combination weith others well over 20% in Aurora.

A majority of Denver's population has been there for a very long time, owned their houses for a long time and the neighborhoods they reside in Denver are usually next to prime real estate areas also.

I wish they had Census statistics by area because parts of Aurora seem to be majority African-American.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:

The highest crime latino area of the Bronx, would likely be considered very safe compared to many of the hispanic majority areas of Denver.

The hispanic population likely commits violent crime at 10 times the rate in Albquerque, West Phoenix, Southwest Denver, Bakersfield, Fresno compared to the hispanic community in Hialeah or Kissimmee Florida.

I feel extremely, extremely safe in El Paso and Orlando's hispanic neighborhoods but that is certainly not the case in West Denver, Albuquerque, Bakersfield, Maryvale in Phoenix.

Phoenix and Albuquerque I can see that, having been to Vegas. Denver just doesn't feel dangerous but I haven't see most of Denver of course. As an easterner, I definitely correlate higher crime to higher concentrations of Black people. And I don't see a lot of the low-quality suburban housing in Denver that I would associate with crime. Obviously, the numbers tell a tale but the explosive growth in violent crime in Denver seems bizzare.

I do know for certain white in the west are more engaged in crime as well.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know how familiar you are with, but Denver has a fairly high percentage of African-Americans for a Western city.

Denver's African-American populated must be one of the most well-off African-American populations for any metropolitan area in America. Wouldn't be surprised if Black per-capita incomes in Denver are above the white per-capita income's in many cities.

Aurora is 17% Black alone and 5% is bi-racial which is mainly non-hispanic White/Black so the percentage is Black and combination weith others well over 20% in Aurora.

I wish they had Census statistics by area because parts of Aurora seem to be majority African-American.
Im not terribly familiar with Denver but I did spend a solid week out there. Went maybe a few blocks into Aurora.

"for a western city" being key here. Denver is still only 9% black lol. It's not high. 17% in Aurora is pretty high though, thats legit.

But again the deep concentrations of 70%+ black census tracts that are high poverty don't exist there. Even in Aurora. Then add to that the suburban orientation of the place.

When we're talking about perceptions and "feel" this matters.

According to this, there are 3 tiny census blocks that are majority African American in Aurora, no census tracts. The blackest one is 57% black. https://www.city-data.com/city/Aurora-Colorado.html Black racial isolation is not so intense out west.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Phoenix and Albuq have a wild west feel to me. Like anything could go down and feels volatile on the streets. Even though they are way safer than the city I live in they don't necessarily feel safer walking around. Not sure about at night. I've never been to Denver but I'll admit I had stereotyped it as a safe yuppie city. Surprised their homicide rate is >10/100k since that would put them higher than NYC, Boston, Charlotte, LA
Perfect example that they are like the "Wild West".

Phoenix, Albuquerque, Denver tend to have alot of random crime that goes on and honestly there alot of very mentally unstable people in larger Western cities. I think in general people in cities like Phoenix, Albuqerque and Denver have alot more stress also.

I am not to familiar with the east, but seems like in many Midwestern cities that there war-zone levels of violent crime in small areas of their cities but most of the safer neighborhoods tend to be very safe.

Seems like out East the crime rates are very, very concentrated.

I have been in many Midwestern rough areas and while many look bad and do have alot of violent crime it seems much more controlled and generally crime is less random.

Denver has several times the homicide rate of NYC, not only that Denver has quite a few high crime suburbs also.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Perfect example that they are like the "Wild West".

Phoenix, Albuquerque, Denver tend to have alot of random crime that goes on and honestly there alot of very mentally unstable people in larger Western cities. I think in general people in cities like Phoenix, Albuqerque and Denver have alot more stress also.

I am not to familiar with the east, but seems like in many Midwestern cities that there war-zone levels of violent crime in small areas of their cities but most of the safer neighborhoods tend to be very safe.

Seems like out East the crime rates are very, very concentrated.

I have been in many Midwestern rough areas and while many look bad and do have alot of violent crime it seems much more controlled and generally crime is less random.

Denver has several times the homicide rate of NYC, not only that Denver has quite a few high crime suburbs also.
Not sure if there's any truth to this but part of it might be the drugs of choice. As in east coast opiate junkies vs western methheads.

NE cities are full of junkies. They can be dangerous but they're slow and uncoordinated. Rather run into one of them alone at night than some guy who's tweaking or strung out, especially if the person is unstable to begin with. A lot more unpredictable outcome. Meth is somewhat common in the NE but way less common than opiates, and still way less common than it is in the south and especially southwest.

Besides that, which is really only a small set of people, I wouldn't really agree that the stress level is higher in those sw cities than the NE. Maybe the stress level is still high over there, and maybe there are even more unstable people too but I just don't buy that the average workaday person's environment is more stressful in in Denver than DC or Phoenix than NYC

I could agree that the crime is generally more uniformly distributed out there though. I guess there has just been fewer generations for the haves and have-nots to geographically isolate and for that level of segregation to compound over time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City