Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities has more friendlier people, less snobbier people, and less mean people?
Phoenix, AZ 34 39.53%
Denver, CO 11 12.79%
Salt Lake City, UT 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 10:03 AM

94 posts, read 184,525 times

Advertisements

I feel like Phoenix is the most friendly out of the 3. Denver has changed a lot in the last 10 years. A different kind of people have moved here in recent years. It wasn't always this way. Arrogance and aloofness are a real thing. Some of it, is just changes in society overall that effect all cities, but seem a little worse in Denver. SLC is somewhere in between the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 10:13 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No city is friendlier than any other. Humans are humans no matter which geographic spot on the map they occupy. People who say Denver is snobby are wrong.
There are definitely cities that are snobbier than others.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcawtsrif View Post
Completely true. Denver and, though not related to the thread, Northern Virginia, North Dallas, Austin, San Francisco/Silicon Valley, and San Diego (yes, seriously!) also have rather snobby vibes, in my experience.
Also Seattle and Boston.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:01 AM

88 posts, read 85,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Also Seattle and Boston.
Agreed with you on Boston. People are very snotty in Boston and do not smile or even give you their time of the day. The whole northeast is that way in general.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:31 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Completely true. Denver and, though not related to the thread, Northern Virginia, North Dallas, Austin, San Francisco/Silicon Valley, and San Diego (yes, seriously!) also have rather snobby vibes, in my experience.
San Francisco yes, Silicon Valley people are more lost in thought and introverted than snobby imo--well the techies are that way, the MBAs might be perceived as snobby so it's 50/50. There is also a language issue in the Bay Area as most people speak a foreign language and that might be a barrier to communication.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Seattle, for sure! How could I forget them? Theirs may be the worst of any place in the western U.S., as it's a sort of passive-aggressively mean snobbery.

I've never been to Boston, but I've heard stories. The Northeast in general is our country's least friendly, cheerful region, in my experience. Maybe more rural areas like upstate and western NY, "Pennsyltucky," Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine aren't so bad, but I don't know.

Portland, OR is also getting to be like Seattle in the insufferably snobby department. Thank God the rest of Oregon (and Washington state, for that matter) still seem to have people who are a little shy and reserved (two different things, often simultaneous), but generally well-meaning.

Now, as a side note, a city that isn't nearly as snobby as people often think: L.A. Or, rather, the greater L.A. region. Leave certain enclaves like west L.A., Santa Monica, Newport Beach/coastal OC, Glendale, and maybe the Anaheim Hills and pockets of Encino/Sherman Oaks, and folks in the region are generally pretty down to Earth. They're not over-the-top friendly, but still pleasant.

That would seem to be the case.
Agreed with Los Angeles. Someone described it best as having a laid back but cosmopolitan vibe.

If the COL wasn't ridiculous, I'd considee living there.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:00 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
As far as Denver and Phoenix, I cant recall ever feeling looked down upon.

But because I'm Mormon(practicing and quite happy at that) and have lots of relatives in Utah, I go there quite a bit more, and I'm torn as to if what I've experienced is snobbery or racism. Not sure, which, but I have experienced something at certain times there that gave me reason to pause.

Most people are fine, Id say 99% of my experiences there have been just fine, but I remember this mall next to the freeway in Sandy, the sales staff was so rude to me at this one store when I was trying to pay with a credit card...it's like they didnt believe it was my card. They didnt give any of the white customers the third degree they gave me. I know Polynesians have a 'bad reputation' there so maybe that was it, IDK, but they are **lucky** I didnt go full Polynesian on them in that moment. LOL.

Anyway, like I said, Utah has been very good to me 99% of the time, a few times tho, not so much-but really that could happen anywhere.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:07 PM

88 posts, read 85,955 times
Phoenix and Salt Lake are tied, but I think we can all agree that Phoenix tops this comparison.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:34 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
Looks like Denver is indeed the least friendliest city out of these 3 western cities. I feel like in Phoenix, the friendliest areas are Gilbert and Chandler. I wonder if Peoria, Avondale, or the West Valley suburbs are friendly as well. I live in Chandler and haven't spent a lot of time out in the west valley. I've found Scottsdale to be laid back. Tempe and Mesa I've found to be the least friendliest.
Some of the best times I have had have been in Gilbert. I worked and lived there on and off for quite a long time and it is an excellent town.

The combination of Gilbert, Scottsdale, Tempe and Chandler has the widest variety of personality traits among residents that I have observed anywhere in the country.

Gilbert is just a very positive town, with an excellent vibe and the residents seem to be very happy and optimistic.

I loved residing in the town of Gilbert and really have excellent memories.

Scottsdale is a fairly pretentious city but it more of a passive-pretentiousness. The vast majority in Scottsdale are fairly polite but the reality is it is a rather materialistic city and there is subtle superficialness about the city also.

Mesa and much the city of Phoenix have a very negative vibe in my opinion. There are alot of very stressed out and very unhappy individuals in both Mesa and West/South Phoenix especially.

West Valley (Peoria, Glendale) are more balanced. I have not been there many, many times but with the
West Valley I really have a more neutral opinion.

Denver is absolutely the least friendly out of the three in my opinion.

Seems like when I was in Denver many of the people I would associate with wanted me to be part of their "multi-tier marketing" business or were just very flaky.

Walking in downtown Denver is surreal with a combination of individuals screaming in the air, hustlers selling everything under the sun, married couples with sunglasses with their $1000 jackets and $100 sunglasses with their noses straight up in the air.

A majority of the residents of Denver also pretend like they are superatheletes when I see 10 times more atheletic individuals in a day in Tempe or Salt Lake City compared to what I have seen in all my collective years that I resided in Denver metro area.

Each time I am in Denver visiting I get very depressed after an hour or two the culture might be excellent for some but it is a depressing place in my opinion.

Salt Lake City I like the culture of it and even though it is a rather "Keep Up with the Jones" and materialistic city there are a huge amount of very interesting, entertaining and exciting individuals who reside there and it is a very fun city.

Salt Lake City though I would consider a very superficial city on looks. It seems more judgemental on looks and appearance than a majority of cities because there are tremendous amount of very visually appealing men and women in the city and many are very confident about their looks.

I will say Salt Lake City is one of the few cities I was jealous and envious of the looks of others. There are alot of absolutely stunning men and women there on looks and they know it. I consider myself average looking overall and it's the city where I felt very humbled by my looks.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-24-2021 at 12:02 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 11:59 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
San Diego (city) and Denver are both extremely snooty and San Diego (city) is even on a higher level of mean than Denver in my opinion.

The only area of San Diego city that wasn't very rude and mean was San Ysidro. The rest of the city whether it's Clairmont, Rolando, Pacific Beach, Bay Terraces, La Jolla is way up their on snootiness and on a completely higher level of mean.

The thing about San Diego though is while the city and Eastern suburbs are mean, rude and very snobby is that much of North County actually far less rude and much less snobby despite the affluence.

Carlsbad, Escondido, Leucadia and Cardiff despite their affluence are a nicer experience than the city of San Diego.

The city of San Diego proper is very snooty. I wouldn't say they are mean or rude but just very cold, indifferent and have a tremendous superior complex.

Sacramento is also a very unfriendly, rude city with a very introverted culture.

Always nice to come back to Phoenix after being in Denver, San Diego or Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City