Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities has more friendlier people, less snobbier people, and less mean people?
Phoenix, AZ 34 39.53%
Denver, CO 11 12.79%
Salt Lake City, UT 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 03:35 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times

Advertisements

The Denver area is the snobbiest place I’ve ever been. The people in Colorado in general come off as stand offish and unfriendly. Boulder may be worse than Denver. I consider those in the same general area. Phoenix wasn’t snobby at all but I didn’t care for it.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:17 AM

88 posts, read 85,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Some of the best times I have had have been in Gilbert. I worked and lived there on and off for quite a long time and it is an excellent town.

The combination of Gilbert, Scottsdale, Tempe and Chandler has the widest variety of personality traits among residents that I have observed anywhere in the country.

Gilbert is just a very positive town, with an excellent vibe and the residents seem to be very happy and optimistic.

I loved residing in the town of Gilbert and really have excellent memories.

Scottsdale is a fairly pretentious city but it more of a passive-pretentiousness. The vast majority in Scottsdale are fairly polite but the reality is it is a rather materialistic city and there is subtle superficialness about the city also.

Mesa and much the city of Phoenix have a very negative vibe in my opinion. There are alot of very stressed out and very unhappy individuals in both Mesa and West/South Phoenix especially.

West Valley (Peoria, Glendale) are more balanced. I have not been there many, many times but with the
West Valley I really have a more neutral opinion.

Denver is absolutely the least friendly out of the three in my opinion.

Seems like when I was in Denver many of the people I would associate with wanted me to be part of their "multi-tier marketing" business or were just very flaky.

Walking in downtown Denver is surreal with a combination of individuals screaming in the air, hustlers selling everything under the sun, married couples with sunglasses with their $1000 jackets and $100 sunglasses with their noses straight up in the air.

A majority of the residents of Denver also pretend like they are superatheletes when I see 10 times more atheletic individuals in a day in Tempe or Salt Lake City compared to what I have seen in all my collective years that I resided in Denver metro area.

Each time I am in Denver visiting I get very depressed after an hour or two the culture might be excellent for some but it is a depressing place in my opinion.

Salt Lake City I like the culture of it and even though it is a rather "Keep Up with the Jones" and materialistic city there are a huge amount of very interesting, entertaining and exciting individuals who reside there and it is a very fun city.

Salt Lake City though I would consider a very superficial city on looks. It seems more judgemental on looks and appearance than a majority of cities because there are tremendous amount of very visually appealing men and women in the city and many are very confident about their looks.

I will say Salt Lake City is one of the few cities I was jealous and envious of the looks of others. There are alot of absolutely stunning men and women there on looks and they know it. I consider myself average looking overall and it's the city where I felt very humbled by my looks.
I have to agree with you on Gilbert being the most friendly suburb in all of Maricopa County! I live in Chandler, it's the 2nd friendliest suburb. I am hoping maybe to relocate to Gilbert if I ever found a job there. I agree with you on Mesa not really being great. It's probably the least friendliest suburb, but no where near as bad as Tucson though. The city limits has friendly people from experience, but I'd say Chandler, Gilbert, and Scottsdale have the friendliest and most down to earth people in all of Maricopa County. Though I work in the city of Phoenix, I live in Chandler and take the drive. I am hoping to find a job in Gilbert eventually. I don't really see myself working or moving to the West Valley. I prefer the southeast valley such as Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek. They are all very friendly areas with a high sense of community.

I haven't been to Denver since I was 15 years old, so I never paid attention to people there. I've also never been to Salt Lake City either, but I want to one of these days. One of my friends who has family up there invited me to go, so I may get to see what it's like.

I think for me, I prefer Phoenix over the 3 because the city is amazing and the people overall are amazing. In Arizona, Phoenix, Flagstaff, and Yuma have the friendliest people in the entire state. Can't speak for Show Low because I've never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
San Diego (city) and Denver are both extremely snooty and San Diego (city) is even on a higher level of mean than Denver in my opinion.

The only area of San Diego city that wasn't very rude and mean was San Ysidro. The rest of the city whether it's Clairmont, Rolando, Pacific Beach, Bay Terraces, La Jolla is way up their on snootiness and on a completely higher level of mean.

The thing about San Diego though is while the city and Eastern suburbs are mean, rude and very snobby is that much of North County actually far less rude and much less snobby despite the affluence.

Carlsbad, Escondido, Leucadia and Cardiff despite their affluence are a nicer experience than the city of San Diego.

The city of San Diego proper is very snooty. I wouldn't say they are mean or rude but just very cold, indifferent and have a tremendous superior complex.

Sacramento is also a very unfriendly, rude city with a very introverted culture.

Always nice to come back to Phoenix after being in Denver, San Diego or Sacramento.
I've been to San Diego a few times. It felt laid back in my opinion, but I've only spent 2-3 nights each time I was there. Phoenix feels friendlier and more laid back than anywhere in California.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:40 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No city is friendlier than any other. Humans are humans no matter which geographic spot on the map they occupy. People who say Denver is snobby are wrong.
Yep, another "friendliest" thread and another "friendliest" thread with responses all over the place.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcawtsrif View Post
Even in North County SD, I did notice a lot of aloofness and arrogance. But not as many hateful attitudes as down in the city and out in East County.

San Diego is just an unfriendly city. Period.

Sacramento has always given me mixed reactions socially. It wasn't for my already knowing people there, I'd think it was one of the most unsocial (different from anti-social) cities in the West; urban NorCal types are generally a standoffish bunch.

California's weird, because the more simultaneously north and inland one goes from the major cities, the generally friendlier the people become. So, the Central Valley and inland areas of the "State of Jefferson" are the friendliest areas, in my experience. But then Central Valley cities such as Stockton and Sacramento are generally unfriendly, for reasons I don't entirely understand, but it's also notable that they've now become part of the Bay Area's sphere of cultural influence. Coastal communities north of the Bay Area are very introverted, almost to the extent of disliking social interactions. The SF Bay Area, of course, is one of the snootiest regions in the nation, but given that a much more interesting and diverse cast of characters live there than in SD, I much prefer spending time in the Bay.

Now, down in the Los Angeles area, away from the well-known concentrations of pretentiousness and wealth, is actually the friendliest (relative term), most optimistic population among any of California's large metro areas. But then as far south as one can go, into far south Orange County (San Clemente and Dana Point) and San Diego, people are largely a-holes, in large part because of the alpha-bravado, testosterone-fueled military influence; there are also many Bay Area transplants in SD. It just makes for an odd environment.

Phoenix has always given me mixed reactions socially, but the more I go, the more I warm up to the place. I will say that the farther one gets from North Scottsdale and Tempe (for whatever reason), the more relaxed people seem. Except for the driving, it can be pretty bad there. I don't see myself ever living there, but I can see it becoming one of my favorite Western cities to visit.
The driving can be hard sometimes in Phoenix, but I'd say the city with the worst and scariest drivers hands down is El Paso, TX. I almost got into an accident there 2 months ago when visiting because some a-hole tried to make the exit last minute and almost side swiped me coming so fast. El Paso drivers are scary. El Paso probably has some of the rudest and meanest people compared to most cities.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:56 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
The driving can be hard sometimes in Phoenix, but I'd say the city with the worst and scariest drivers hands down is El Paso, TX. I almost got into an accident there 2 months ago when visiting because some a-hole tried to make the exit last minute and almost side swiped me coming so fast. El Paso drivers are scary. El Paso probably has some of the rudest and meanest people compared to most cities.
I thought El Paso was extremely polite but it's a very, very cliquish city. I was there for a few months and I actually thought the population was extremely calm and mild-mannered.

I think a majority of the population has their social need's well fulfilled and under circumstances are looking to expand their social circle.

El Paso is more materialistic than I thought. Seems like a city where alot of the population spends more than earns also.

El Paso seemed as though it's a perfect city for those who have been their multiple generations.

Las Cruces is terribly unfriendly and pretentious for absolutely no reason. It was almost a joke how rude the population in Las Cruces was.

I would have really enjoyed Las Cruces, but the residents of the city were rude and a vast majority of them were extremely unfriendly.

I think Tucson is actually very unfriendly and much more pretentious than a vast majority of the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Yuma was much more friendly than I thought. Based on the economic situations in Yuma and reputation I thought it would be unappealing, but a vast majority of the residents were friendly, happy, down to earth and very polite.

Flagstaff is an introverted mountain city but the residents seemed fairly polite and fairly happy but the residents don't seem as talkable as Phoenix metro.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I thought El Paso was extremely polite but it's a very, very cliquish city. I was there for a few months and I actually thought the population was extremely calm and mild-mannered.

I think a majority of the population has their social need's well fulfilled and under circumstances are looking to expand their social circle.

El Paso is more materialistic than I thought. Seems like a city where alot of the population spends more than earns also.

El Paso seemed as though it's a perfect city for those who have been their multiple generations.

Las Cruces is terribly unfriendly and pretentious for absolutely no reason. It was almost a joke how rude the population in Las Cruces was.

I would have really enjoyed Las Cruces, but the residents of the city were rude and a vast majority of them were extremely unfriendly.

I think Tucson is actually very unfriendly and much more pretentious than a vast majority of the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Yuma was much more friendly than I thought. Based on the economic situations in Yuma and reputation I thought it would be unappealing, but a vast majority of the residents were friendly, happy, down to earth and very polite.

Flagstaff is an introverted mountain city but the residents seemed fairly polite and fairly happy but the residents don't seem as talkable as Phoenix metro.
You are spot on about Tucson. I lived there for two and a half years, and boy was it a terrible city. Very rude people, super meanspirited people, and everyone kept to themselves. I hardly made any friends there. It felt very much like El Paso in many ways. I remember going to Phoenix for day trips and seeing all the friendly people who would smile at you. Then I'd return to Tucson and see all the rude meanspirited people who looked like New Yorkers. Tucson in many ways so much reminded me of the northeast with how rude people were. Phoenix reminds me more of Southeast and Central Texas. I moved to Phoenix, and my anxiety went away and I've met people here. I always had anxiety in Tucson.

Now, would you say Tucson is like Denver? I remember once connecting in Denver from Tucson, and the moment I got off the plane from Tucson, Denver people just felt very warm and nice. Maybe they were connecting passengers at that airport? Las Vegas too felt much friendlier than Tucson.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:

It is very hard to make friends in El Paso. I grew up there, and the only way you will make any friends is if your close friends introduce you to their friends. It is one of those cities where people only stick to their own social circle and are closed minded about meeting others. Many people are rude too in El Paso. In many ways, Tucson and El Paso are exactly alike. I was even warned in 2016 that Tucson was like El Paso. I never saw it until 2018 when I realized how awful Tucson was and when I was looking for apartments in Phoenix. I met some residents in different apartment complexes in Phoenix and they were so nice and it was then decided that my decision was made to leave Tucson forever. I've gone back to visit and I always am shocked at how mean the people are down there. I got screamed at Walmart in Tucson for going into a closed side for self-checkout. They don't do that in Phoenix. They talk to you politely in Phoenix.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:56 PM

393 posts, read 261,970 times
Remember: Salt Lake City is a Mormon-influenced city.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:02 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
Remember: Salt Lake City is a Mormon-influenced city.
And so therefore, what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City