Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities has more friendlier people, less snobbier people, and less mean people?
Phoenix, AZ 34 39.53%
Denver, CO 11 12.79%
Salt Lake City, UT 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 06:13 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Salt Lake City in my opinion isn't that friendly, but a majority of the residents are very polite and rudeness is extremely rare there.

I prefer the personality traits of Salt Lake City and Metropolitan Phoenix over Denver extreme arrogance and pretention.

Denver's airport has always had good customer service. The airport in Denver has alot of very happy people who have dreamed about taking a Colorado vacation and are finally in their dream state.

Denver is not outwardly rude. The service at stores and coffee shops is there but usually with no smile.

The main thing about Denver is just the extreme arrogance and pretentiousness of the population. There is likely not a place on this earth that has so many visually unappealing men and women who pretend they are at the top of the scale on looks and then they were brag about their athletic accomplishments and pretend all they do is climb 14'ers when they aren't in good shape.

If one wants to be in a city with phony people pretending to be atheletes who only talk about materialism then Denver is a perfect city.

Denver also has alot of very dishonest, unethical people. Many of them only want friends because they need more people to join their multi tier marketing scheme.

I wouldn't recommend people looking for a city based on friendliness to choose Salt Lake City. It is a moderately friendly and very polite city.

Salt Lake City is a very, very superficial city though. I think some of the negative comments people make is more jealousy or envy because a majority of the men and women are extremely intelligent and extemely good-looking.

I would say that Salt Lake City sort of has a very similar vibe to Tempe meets Chandler.

In regards to Texas. I thought El Paso was polite but very cliquish. I liked El Paso best out of the Texas cities.

San Antonio I was there a few months, I wanted to like San Antonio because it is a very appealing, affordable city with a great climate and great scenery but the residents of San Antonio were extremely unfriendly.

It is hillarious to me that San Antonio ranks so high on friendliness. I wonder if it's just they have nice workers at the dozens of huge tourist attractions based on the selectiveness of the tourism-based employers, because the vast majority of residents of San Antonio seemed mean, unhappy, judgemental, very pretentious.

Almost everyone in San Antonio seemed very, very snobby and aloof. A tremendous amount of very mean and very unhappy people for no reason.

Austin was not rude at all compared to San Antonio but Austin is a very, very, very aloof and pretentious city in my opinion.
Your descriptions of Denver were 100% spot on for me. I’ve had the same experience with people there. I had family in Boulder and Golden. Last time I was there I had someone telling me that they were in the process of suing Uber and Lyft because they had trademarked the business model and that their idea was stolen

Old 04-29-2021, 10:30 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,648 times
Probably SLC because it's in Utah which is a conservative and religious state (even though SLC is not as much). It is a very Mormon state (obviously), and oriented toward the Mormon faith in many ways. Idk if there are like Evangelical Mormons or not? I know Mormonism is very important in Utah.

I feel like same could be said about Phoenix for Arizona to a lesser extent, except PHX is a much larger city than SLC, and larger cities tend to correlate with less personal/less friendly.

Something tells me it's a tie between SLC and PHX. Probably SLC overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 12:06 AM

88 posts, read 85,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Probably SLC because it's in Utah which is a conservative and religious state (even though SLC is not as much). It is a very Mormon state (obviously), and oriented toward the Mormon faith in many ways. Idk if there are like Evangelical Mormons or not? I know Mormonism is very important in Utah.

I feel like same could be said about Phoenix for Arizona to a lesser extent, except PHX is a much larger city than SLC, and larger cities tend to correlate with less personal/less friendly.

Something tells me it's a tie between SLC and PHX. Probably SLC overall.
One thing for sure, from what I've read on city-data, Phoenix definitely wins for overall friendliness when compared with Denver. Denver sounds like Metropolis Tucson, meaning a bigger city version of Tucson. In one other thread, someone wrote that people in Denver also say mean things to you in public. Just like in Tucson. But in Phoenix and probably Salt Lake City, people likely say very nice things to you in public.

Overall, I prefer Phoenix because I love the Sonoran Desert and I love Arizona. Utah has nice scenery, but it's super cold and snowy, and I do not like snowy and cold weather.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seems like I am in the vast majority, only 6% in this poll think Denver has the friendliest population.

It's very entertaining to go on the web and read all the reviews about opinions of the "non-friendliness of the people of Denver"

I can see why they are considered so unfriendly compared to Valley of the Sun. While, Denverites were slipping on ice and shoveling the sidewalk many, many times last month, the residents of Phoenix were outside in the mild morning sun followed by that warm Arizona afternoon sunshine.

94% of those responding did not vote for Denver.

Of course they are in ancedotal opinions, but many have the same anecdotal opinion of Denver.

There are hundreds and hundreds of reviews that I have read through the years and many agree with me.
I have a question. What are the people in Green Bay, WI like compared to the people in Minneapolis, MN? I remember a few years ago calling hotels in Green Bay asking questions because I was going to go for a visit there, but then plans fell through the roof. The people sounded very rude and had attitudes. Is Green Bay also an unfriendly city? Minneapolis sounds friendlier.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
One thing for sure, from what I've read on city-data, Phoenix definitely wins for overall friendliness when compared with Denver. Denver sounds like Metropolis Tucson, meaning a bigger city version of Tucson. In one other thread, someone wrote that people in Denver also say mean things to you in public. Just like in Tucson. But in Phoenix and probably Salt Lake City, people likely say very nice things to you in public.

Overall, I prefer Phoenix because I love the Sonoran Desert and I love Arizona. Utah has nice scenery, but it's super cold and snowy, and I do not like snowy and cold weather.
Lol you people can't be serious.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I found Phoenix to be awesome between the people and overall vibe.

Unfortunately, when I went to PHX, it was the summer of 2017... during the crazy heat wave they had. Highs were 110 116 121 123 119 116 .. so it wasnt particularly enjoyable. But, the people were amazing!
You sure about that? One of those numbers is higher then the hottest day ever recorded in Phoenix and it's only hit 120 or more 3 times, none of which were in 2017. I'm a bit of a weather enthusiast so I tend to follow these things closer than most.

Advice if you're coming out in the summer again, head out after dark, it's only the high temperature for a few hours of the day. Glad you found people pretty friendly here, I agree with that too and I also spent some years living in your neck of the woods.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:34 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lol you people can't be serious.
I wouldn't be surprised. Denver has a tremendous amount of people on various drugs and tremendous amounts of alcoholics also.

I agree that people just don't say randomly mean things in Denver, the residents of Denver would never give that attention to someone they don't know.

The saying "meaning things" is likely someone with untreated drug addiction who is homeless and lonely in downtown Denver. Generally, Denverites don't believe in changing the social circumstances of individuals in their city.

I have never had anything mean yelled to me in public in Denver though. The vast of Denveites noses are straight up in the air that they would never stoop to the level of making eye-contact with someone who aren't friends with.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:41 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You sure about that? One of those numbers is higher then the hottest day ever recorded in Phoenix and it's only hit 120 or more 3 times, none of which were in 2017. I'm a bit of a weather enthusiast so I tend to follow these things closer than most.

Advice if you're coming out in the summer again, head out after dark, it's only the high temperature for a few hours of the day. Glad you found people pretty friendly here, I agree with that too and I also spent some years living in your neck of the woods.
Regarding summers in Denver they don't have the heat of Phoenix but Denver has triple-digit days with four days in it's history that have been up to 105

The airport in Denver is far outside the urban heat island. Phoenix airport is in the middle of the heat island.

This article is from 2017, but 120 degrees is very uncommon in Phoenix.

120 degrees happens about once every 40 years and the all-time record is 122.

118 or 119 usually happens once every couple of years.

Seems like generally, the hottest day a majority of years is more 115 or 116.

They talk about that 122 degree day every year in June

https://kjzz.org/content/491375/phoe...corded-history

North Phoenix from Deer Valley up to the New River border tends to peak at about 111 or 112 a majority of summers. I wonder what the day-time temperature is in the Northern border of Phoenix where they are outside the heat island and a higher elevation.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:11 AM

Well one thing for sure, Phoenix is a whole lot better and a whole lot nicer than Denver or Salt Lake City. I hope to begin my lifelong career in Phoenix, specifically the Chandler-Gilbert area.

I really love Phoenix and I really love Chandler and Gilbert.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:36 AM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
Salty Lakes has the nicest people in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City