Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 12:16 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times

Advertisements

Louisville has an extremely high homicide rate considering it's a clean, middle-income city with a very low prices and a stable, non-transient population with good economics.

One would think with decent per-capita incomes just slightly lower than Chicago and Los Angeles and extremely low cost of living plus cleanliness, good housing stock and having a non-transient population would make it one of the safest cities in the country but yet the amount of homicides in Louisville is extremely high.

173 homicides last year and yet it is a very middle-class city with a per-capita income that is just slightly lower than Chicago and Los Angeles.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ay/7316611002/

Kansas City is another one less than half a million in the city population but 182 homicides. Yet household incomes and per-capita income middle of the road for a city.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...250178685.html

Oakland has one of the highest per-capita incomes of large cities but yet Oakland has an extremely high violent crime rate.

Minneapolis is similar, one of the highest per-capita incomes for a city of it's size but yet it is a very high violent crime rate.

St. Louis is near of the world on the homicides it has but yet St. Louis has only slightly lower per-capita incomes than Los Angeles and Chicago.

St. Louis is far, far more economically well-off with-in the city limits compared to cities like Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit yet St. Louis has an international reputation as one of the world's more violent cities.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-23-2021 at 01:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 12:21 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Dc

Old 04-23-2021, 01:06 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I will say having been in Louisville several times before, the homicide rate is puzzling.

One would think with decent per-capita incomes just slightly lower than Chicago and Los Angeles and extremely low cost of living plus cleanliness, good housing stock and having a non-transient population would make it one of the safest cities in the country but yet the amount of homicides in Louisville is extremely high.

173 homicides last year and yet it is a very middle-class city with a per-capita income that is just slightly lower than Chicago and Los Angeles.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ay/7316611002/

Kansas City is another one less than half a million in the city population but 182 homicides. Yet household incomes and per-capita income middle of the road for a city.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/e...250178685.html

Oakland has one of the highest per-capita incomes of large cities but yet Oakland has an extremely high violent crime rate.

Minneapolis is similar, one of the highest per-capita incomes for a city of it's size but yet it is a very high violent crime rate.

St. Louis is near of the world on the homicides it has but yet St. Louis has only slightly lower per-capita incomes than Los Angeles and Chicago.

St. Louis is far, far more economically well-off with-in the city limits compared to cities like Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit yet St. Louis has an international reputation as one of the world's more violent cities.
I think Odessa, Texas would be a city that has a good income for a blue-collar and working class city that has a high murder rate i would think.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:11 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,854,799 times
District of Columbia - homicide rate similar or slightly higher than Louisville yet the median hh income is more than double. It's one of the richest cities in the country

Old 04-23-2021, 07:54 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
DC came to mind.

Raleigh too.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Dc
DC isn't necessarily "high crime".

Old 04-23-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Oh god yes it is. Murder rate of 28 rape rate of 64, i think the violent crime rate is still around 1000.

Extremely high

Old 04-23-2021, 08:29 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
..Really? I mean ill be honest, by no means does it "feel" high crime to me but it is.

Also fwiw OP said "high homicide"

Old 04-23-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
..Really? I mean ill be honest, by no means does it "feel" high crime to me but it is.

Agreed there. I put it as one of the top cities i feel safest walking around at night. They hide it pretty well i guess

Old 04-23-2021, 08:47 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:

It doesn't feel like it, because the crime in the district is mostly located East of the Anacostia River, where most people don't go. More than half the homicides in the city happen on about 15 sq mi of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City