Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is the best example of the "New South"?
Atlanta 96 58.18%
Raleigh/Durham 12 7.27%
Charlotte 17 10.30%
Nashville 14 8.48%
Northern Virginia (Fairfax, etc.) 5 3.03%
Miami 2 1.21%
Orlando 0 0%
Tampa 0 0%
Houston 7 4.24%
Austin 4 2.42%
Dallas/Fort Worth 7 4.24%
Other 1 0.61%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 07:51 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Rural View Post
Austin shouldn't even be considered here -- too full of people who don't even want to live in Texas. It's not even southern culturally, maybe south central/western.

When I think of Austin I get a more west coast vibe. It also has so few black people, not typical of the south. Houston, which I've been to many times, is different though.
Austin is the capital of Texas. Dont know how that makes it more "West Coast" culturally than Southern where accents are found everywhere just like they are found in Atlanta which is way more international than Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 07:58 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Interesting that Charlotte has remained more stagnant than Atlanta, while the center of gravity is shifting to Raleigh-Durham. It is starting to become Silicon Valley East!
The world "stagnant" doesn't even belong in the same sentence with Atlanta and Charlotte. Charlotte and the Triangle are both full speed ahead in so many ways, and it's not one booming at the expense of the other at all. Charlotte has even upped its tech game substantially while the Triangle has continued building on its economic foundation of tech with Google and Oracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Back around when I moved to Texas in 2005, Charlotte would have been high on the list, but I feel like it’s just not really sustained its momentum; and Nashville has really stolen a lot of thunder lately.
Uhhhhhh....not even. Nashville has been doing its thing lately but it has absolutely NOT been at Charlotte's expense whatsoever. I'm not even sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

Y'all are on one when it comes to Charlotte. Just like the Triangle and Nashville, it hasn't missed a beat.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-28-2021 at 08:23 AM..

Old 04-28-2021, 05:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times
Not on the list, but I would go with Huntsville.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:37 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,648 times
Atlanta comes to mind instantly. It is the New South.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:16 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The world "stagnant" doesn't even belong in the same sentence with Atlanta and Charlotte. Charlotte and the Triangle are both full speed ahead in so many ways, and it's not one booming at the expense of the other at all. Charlotte has even upped its tech game substantially while the Triangle has continued building on its economic foundation of tech with Google and Oracle.

Uhhhhhh....not even. Nashville has been doing its thing lately but it has absolutely NOT been at Charlotte's expense whatsoever. I'm not even sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

Y'all are on one when it comes to Charlotte. Just like the Triangle and Nashville, it hasn't missed a beat.
I guess it was the Austin of the early 2000s, it was hella hyped. I haven’t heard much about it since. Driving through, I encountered the traffic of a growing city, but didn’t feel anything that new about it. Caveat: I was a truck driver, so I wasn’t really seeing that much of the city. So, I kind of presumed it had resumed perhaps a more “normal” growth rate.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 8,202 times
Atlanta, then Charlotte.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I guess it was the Austin of the early 2000s, it was hella hyped. I haven’t heard much about it since.
That's because the new kids on the block now, like Nashville, are getting the type of press Charlotte used to get, but that doesn't mean that Charlotte has slowed down whatsoever because it hasn't. Expanded rail transit, a new MLS franchise, more corporate headquarters relocations and expansions, climbing the ranks in tech, CLT regularly ranks among the busiest in the country (in the top 10 in most recent years), hosting more and more high-profile events, etc.--like I said, it hasn't missed a beat.

Quote:
Driving through, I encountered the traffic of a growing city, but didn’t feel anything that new about it. Caveat: I was a truck driver, so I wasn’t really seeing that much of the city. So, I kind of presumed it had resumed perhaps a more “normal” growth rate.
Not at all...it's still growing like gangbusters. When was the last time you drove through, and when was the last time before that? Charlotte's road network has undergone and is undergoing considerable expansion and widening, particularly I-77, I-485, and US 74, and that's just in the city itself.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-29-2021 at 09:41 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 09:29 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown_in_da_heezy View Post
Atlanta, then Charlotte.
This is right.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:42 PM

Interestingly enough, had this question been asked a century ago, Birmingham would have likely been the most common answer along with Atlanta.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:43 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Interestingly enough, had this question been asked a century ago, Birmingham would have likely been the most common answer along with Atlanta.
No city suffered more from the CRM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City