Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 05:03 PM

155 posts, read 127,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Uhh Dickson is a good 45 minute drive from Nashville, not sure where you got 5-7 miles from. Also, the Higland Rim which is very rugged terrain makes a half circle around Nashville from the South, West and North. That's probably why you don't see tons of development that way, you should know that if you've lived here. Like the previous poster mentioned, if you want to see contiguous development drive I-24 from Nashville to Murfreesboro, a good 35 miles or directly south towards Franklin about 30 miles.
Yeah, 5-7 miles out of Nashville is pretty developed, unless you're going out of I40W or the Bells Bends area, which as he said is the highland rim. Where development is more expensive, because of the rugged terrain. The Nashville Metro does have undeveloped pockets here and there, but that's with any sprawling city. Nashville will eventually fill those areas out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 05:36 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroboi View Post
This. Job brought me to Nashville from 2018 to 2020 and I left late last year. Not my type of city and it felt small. Had never seen a city overhyped way too much by its locals who actually believe their city is the fastest growing city in America. Nashville immediate feels country 5-7 miles outside of downtown towards Dickson and many other directions. I also lived in Raleigh. Aside from downtown, Raleigh to me feels bigger and denser.
Raleigh felt like a city of 150,000 people when I visited in 2019. The downtown is growing but also feels smallish. There's a corporate, start-up vibe, and great companies and universities in the area, but it does not feel denser than Nashville.

I saw many old school, 1960s/70/80s subdivisions in Raleigh. Lots of beautiful classic homes.

Denser? Where.

Raleigh has a great quality of life, but does not feel like a large city--many people love that about the area.

Nashville midtown to downtown is so much more vibrant and exciting than anywhere in Raleigh. But don't get me wrong, I love the triangle area and would move there potentially.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:14 PM

73 posts, read 115,179 times
Quote:
Uhh Dickson is a good 45 minute drive from Nashville, not sure where you got 5-7 miles from. Also, the Higland Rim which is very rugged terrain makes a half circle around Nashville from the South, West and North. That's probably why you don't see tons of development that way, you should know that if you've lived here. Like the previous poster mentioned, if you want to see contiguous development drive I-24 from Nashville to Murfreesboro, a good 35 miles or I-65 directly south towards Franklin about 30 miles.
Driving down I-40 W from downtown, it doesn't take long before you are in the country. It goes straight from suburban to rural right about after the Old Hickory Blvd exit. That's like 5 miles from I-440 and I-40 W junction near downtown.
Here is the video of driving from West Nashville near Charlotte Pike/Old Hickory exits towards Dickson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48boWYCSVXc

Old 04-29-2021, 06:22 PM

592 posts, read 591,411 times
Quote:
Driving down I-40 W from downtown, it doesn't take long before you are in the country. It goes straight from suburban to rural right about after the Old Hickory Blvd exit. That's like 5 miles from I-440 and I-40 W junction near downtown.
Here is the video of driving from West Nashville near Charlotte Pike/Old Hickory exits towards Dickson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48boWYCSVXc
I'm pretty familiar with the area as I'm from here. I mentioned the Highland Rim which explains the sparse the development in that direction, which is going west. Also, that video doesn't show the trek from downtown Nashville to Dickson as the interstate doesn't get down to two lanes until you get past Bellevue, which is 13-15 miles from downtown, about a 20 minute drive. The dead giveaway is the sign that shows the exit towards Jackson, TN which shows not even 3 seconds into the video when you're well outside of Davidson County lol. Heck, I'd suffice to say well outside of the MSA as you don't see signs to Jackson till you cross Tennessee River lol. Nice try though.

Last edited by jkc2j; 04-29-2021 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 06:43 PM

73 posts, read 115,179 times
Quote:
I'm pretty familiar with the area as I'm from here. I mentioned the Highland Rim which explains the sparse the development in that direction, which is going west. Also, that video doesn't show the trek from downtown Nashville to Dickson as the interstate doesn't get down to two lanes until you get past Bellevue, which is 13-15 miles from downtown, about a 20 minute drive. The dead giveaway is the sign that shows the exit towards Jackson, TN which shows not even 3 seconds into the video when you're well outside of Davidson County in West Tennessee lol. Nice try though.
Did you really watch the clip? Skip to :25 you will see the route map. You should have already known if you live there.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:50 PM

592 posts, read 591,411 times
Quote:
Did you really watch the clip? Skip to :25 you will see the route map. You should have already known if you live there.
The :25 mark is the White Bridge Rd area in West Nashville, not downtown. Also if the camera was facing left you'd see the massive Nashville West development that has a Costco and other suburban shops and to the right you'd see many new garden style apartment buildings in the hills all the way till you reach Bellevue.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
The thing that makes Nashville such a great example of city-vs-rural is because it's in a very uniquely rugged area for any American city. Even in its own county (Davidson) there are areas that are undevelopable due to the rugged (rocky) terrain. That makes for a fantastic contrast between the built-up areas which stretch out like veins from the core, and the undeveloped areas, some of which are only about 5-10 miles from downtown. The major arterial roads in the core 5 counties (Davidson, Rutherford, Williamson, Sumner, Wilson) show massive density, while the beauty of nature is only a short drive away. It has been fascinating to watch Nashville's development in the past couple of decades into a major urban area. And that's going to continue. I'd say the social infrastructure for a young adult (20s/30s) is better in Nashville at this point in time. I love the RDU area, but you should visit, as the three core cities there are very distinct from each other. The areas between them have been rapidly suburbanizing over the past three decades. You'd be much closer to Atlantic beaches in RDU, but you'd also be closer to the Midwest in Nashville. They're both great cities to start your careers in.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:10 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Obviously Nashville has more to do, but is it really "a much larger city"? They look almost identical at the CSA, which aligns with the OP.
I was referring to the downtowns of both.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:36 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I was referring to the downtowns of both.
I agree with that, although I don't agree that downtown=city size.

I think that it's interesting that Nashville has historically been the much larger city. Nashville had over 100,000 people a hundred years ago. It was the same size as Houston. I'm guessing that accounts in part for its larger downtown along with its entertainment history.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:55 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
The Raleigh area is probably some of the best areas in the country to live, definitely the best in the Southeast. Some of the suburbs in/around Raleigh area are some of the best there are. For example, the Cary and Apex area are phenomenal. Raleigh also has one of the lowest crime rates of any MSAs in the country. Very well educated, safe and high quality metropolitan area. THe best airport too.

However, I think Raleigh is stellar for someone in the 30-49 age range. I do think for Youngins like you/me, Nashville might work better. The nightlife is great in both Raleigh and Durham, but I think you get a much larger well-rounded scene in Nashville. THe quality and quantity is just greater in BNA over RDU.

I wouldn't worry about the political aspect of each city/area. Im very liberal and make friends with virtually all types o people in the Raleigh area. Completely different vibe there.. Im not sure on Nashville though. Its more transient there, I have no idea. But in my 20s, I would do Nashville. When Im ready to settle, Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City