Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,517 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Currently working remote and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm interested in moving to either Nashville TN or Raleigh/Durham/Chapell Hill, NC area. I can't seem to make up my mind, so I figured I'd ask here. Here are some things that are important to me.

- Relatively low violent crime - I've grown up in larger metro areas and tired of always having to be alert all the time (I expect this from all major cities, but looking to make it less so when compared to NYC/SF/LA etc.)
- Looking for something purple politically, I don't want too much of one thing. I like balance
- Fun things to do, I like festivals and concerts, music is a hobby of mine
- A hip allure, good food, quirky in places
(I'll be renting so not worried about housing costs for rent or buying)

I'm in my late 20s, so also looking for a place with a good dating scene. Most major cities have one, but feel like Nashville's might be better since Raleigh is usually described as more family orientated. Lastly I'm looking for a place that isn't so strict as far as covid goes. I'm all vaccinated and ready to take on the world. My mental health took a big hit last year and I really need some normalcy, so do let me know if you feel one is better in this department. Nashville seems like an easy choice, but the fact that country music is so dominant and everyone and their mother is a musician makes me feel like I was be a small fish in a big pond in a bad way. Thanks for reading y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 02:50 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,536,517 times
I'd say Nashville overall. Their crime is higher than RDU's, but I've never felt unsafe in the Nashville area at all. Nashville is closer to purple/balanced politically, where RDU is pretty blue. Definitely more things to do in Nashville. Nashville isn't as phobic about covid in my experiences over the last year.

Really, you can't go wrong in either place. I like both. Good luck wherever you land.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:00 AM

10,087 posts, read 14,483,337 times
Here is what I think--

- Relatively low violent crime - I've grown up in larger metro areas and tired of always having to be alert all the time (I expect this from all major cities, but looking to make it less so when compared to NYC/SF/LA etc.) Raleigh would come out on top here. Nashville isn't super high crime, but I believe it is higher, since it's a bigger city.

- Looking for something purple politically, I don't want too much of one thing. I like balance. Either city works here. Although Raleigh is probably a bit more blue. North Carolina is red/purple while Tennessee is red.

- Fun things to do, I like festivals and concerts, music is a hobby of mine. Nashville wins out here.

- A hip allure, good food, quirky in places: Nashville here. It has tons of people like this and neighborhoods like this.
(I'll be renting so not worried about housing costs for rent or buying)

I'd say it's a pretty even split--both areas are great, and growing. Nashville gets the slight edge though, due to you being single and in your 20s and Nashville will probably offer better dating. Plus the music scene there is incredible overall.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:01 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,538,142 times
Chapel Hill is one of the most liberal places in NC! Chapel Hill has some unique eateries, and the fact that it is part of the Triangle adds to the appeal.

Nashville may be more suited to your requests, but overall, two great places to live.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:15 AM

9,689 posts, read 9,427,090 times
Nashville is a much larger city and great for young people. Not to say that Raleigh is not great for young people, it just cannot compete with Nashville's downtown. I like the city energy and proximity to the outdoors. Raleigh has more affordable housing though.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:37 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,995,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville is a much larger city and great for young people. Not to say that Raleigh is not great for young people, it just cannot compete with Nashville's downtown. I like the city energy and proximity to the outdoors. Raleigh has more affordable housing though.
Obviously Nashville has more to do, but is it really "a much larger city"? They look almost identical at the CSA, which aligns with the OP.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:12 PM

73 posts, read 115,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Obviously Nashville has more to do, but is it really "a much larger city"? They look almost identical at the CSA, which aligns with the OP.
This. Job brought me to Nashville from 2018 to 2020 and I left late last year. Not my type of city and it felt small. Had never seen a city overhyped way too much by its locals who actually believe their city is the fastest growing city in America. Nashville immediate feels country 5-7 miles outside of downtown towards Dickson and many other directions. I also lived in Raleigh. Aside from downtown, Raleigh to me feels bigger and denser.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:32 PM

155 posts, read 128,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroboi View Post
This. Job brought me to Nashville from 2018 to 2020 and I left late last year. Not my type of city and it felt small. Had never seen a city overhyped way too much by its locals who actually believe their city is the fastest growing city in America. Nashville immediate feels country 5-7 miles outside of downtown towards Dickson and many other directions. I also lived in Raleigh. Aside from downtown, Raleigh to me feels bigger and denser.
Have you been down I65S and I65N? and I24? The Dickson area is fairly undeveloped and sparse, but I65 and I24 feels pretty dense.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:39 PM

611 posts, read 366,185 times
"Phobic about Covid?"

What does that even mean?
Quote:

Nashville is a much larger city and great for young people

The areas are very close in population.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:44 PM

592 posts, read 593,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroboi View Post
Uhh Dickson is a good 45 minute drive from Nashville, not sure where you got 5-7 miles from. Also, the Higland Rim which is very rugged terrain makes a half circle around Nashville from the South, West and North. That's probably why you don't see tons of development that way, you should know that if you've lived here. Like the previous poster mentioned, if you want to see contiguous development drive I-24 from Nashville to Murfreesboro, a good 35 miles or I-65 directly south towards Franklin about 30 miles.

Last edited by jkc2j; 04-29-2021 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City