Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Longmont over Greeley without question. Greeley is much farther out on the plains, and you'll get regular reminders of how intertwined the city is with the ag industry. There's a meatpacking plant on the north side of town and a gigantic feedlot just east of the city. When the wind is coming out of the east you'll get the smell of manure and ammonia (urine), and if the wind is out of the north you'll get the not-so-fresh scent of whatever they're incinerating at the meatpacking plant. Pray to god that doesn't happen on the days when they're rendering the blood.

On top of that Weld County is backwards AF. Their county commissioners are a bunch of redneck GOBs. One of them (Lori Saine) has done some pretty racist and insensitive crap in the past.
What this person said. I’ve never been to Greeley but I already know Longmont beats it. BTW, Loveland is even creepier than Longmont. I think it’s a northern front range thing- I get rural 90s Northern Ohio vibes with a bit of juggalo. Maybe I’ve gotten too used to living in vibrant metros but it definitely made me (and my partner) pretty uncomfortable. For the record, I’ve never seen a juggalo in N Colorado, but it’s the best way I can think to describe it right now.

It’s like being in a sleepy, tired, twighlight zone. Like taking a time machine back to the rural towns of the Midwest before they fully died. I’d admit that I’m being a bit dramatic, but that’s really how it felt sometimes. The newer suburban developments (we happened to live in one) were nicer, but still slightly depressing.

Just found this.. almost reads like satire, but it references a a juggalo ‘gang’ in Loveland, whatta know, I might not be so crazy after all.
https://www.lovelandwaterandpower.or...cument?id=2396

Last edited by Jame22; 10-03-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 04:03 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Weather:
1. Greensboro, NC
2. North Central New Jersey
3. Boston, MA
4. New York, NY (Heat Island??)
5. Syracuse, NY
6. Orlando, FL

Crime/How Safe I felt:
1. Syracuse, NY
-Big Gap-
2. Boston, MA (Varies greatly)
3. North Central New Jersey (Varies greatly)
4. New York City (My neighborhood wasn't good...)
5. Orlando, FL
-Bigger Gap-
6. Greensboro, NC (Someone got shot in my complex, then there were two GTAs... and then there was a shooting in front of the COurthouse, in broad daylight, across the street from my complex. .)

Food
1. Central Northern New Jersey
-Big Gap-
2. New York, NY
3. Boston, MA
-Big Gap-
4. Greensboro, NC
-Bigger Gap-
5. Orlando, FL
6. Syracuse, NY

Walkability/Ambiance/Access to things
1. Boston, MA
2. New York, NY
3. Central Northern New Jersey
4. Greensboro, NC
5. Syracuse, NY
6. Orlando, FL

Transit Quality and how convenient it was for me
1t. Boston, MA
1t. New York, NY
3. Central Northern New Jersey
-Big Gap-
The Rest

Nightlife
2. Syracuse, NY
3. New York, NY
4. Greensboro, NC
5. Boston, MA
6. Orlando, FL

Overall
2. Boston, MA
3. New York, NY
-Gap-
4. Syracuse, NY
5. Greensboro, NC
6. Orlando, FL

Old 10-04-2021, 08:06 AM

42 posts, read 45,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Crime/How Safe I felt:
1. Syracuse, NY
-Big Gap-
2. Boston, MA (Varies greatly)
3. North Central New Jersey (Varies greatly)
4. New York City (My neighborhood wasn't good...)
5. Orlando, FL
-Bigger Gap-
6. Greensboro, NC (Someone got shot in my complex, then there were two GTAs... and then there was a shooting in front of the COurthouse, in broad daylight, across the street from my complex. .)
Sheesh. Had no idea Greensboro could be that bad. I would even think Syracuse is worse.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:04 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPajamas View Post
Sheesh. Had no idea Greensboro could be that bad. I would even think Syracuse is worse.
Yeah and my complex was the 2nd nicest in downtown. It was weird.

Orlando I lived in a subdivision of Lake Nona but it just never felt safe or alright. No community.

Syracuse I lived in the boonies... it was very safe in feel.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:38 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I’ve only lived in California, but have traveled all over the US and internationally.

San Francisco - cosmopolitan city. Sometimes too cold, overcast and windy. Great restaurants.

Pleasanton - family friendly, small town feel. Educated residents. Can get hot in the summer.

Sunnyvale - somewhat boring Silicon Valley city. Very diverse, very safe. Perfect weather.

Fremont - family friendly East Bay city. Good city services. Diverse and generally safe. Great weather also.

Redondo Beach - typical California beach city. Great restaurants, beaches. Sun, sand & surf.
Great bars, restaurants and places to socialize nearby.

South Pasadena - small town “Mayberry” type of feel. Very safe with friendly neighbors. Very educated, open minded residents working in professional occupations. Great, central location
in Los Angeles County.

Places I would enjoy living:: Northern Virginia (Mc Lean, Arlington, or Falls Church), Atlanta
(northwest suburbs such as Vinings, Smyrna or Marietta), or Seattle (Bellevue.)

Old 10-10-2021, 01:12 AM

41 posts, read 23,906 times
This is an interesting topic to read through. Here is my list:

I have live in towns/cities in my 35 years:
1. Kentwood, Louisiana. hometown. boring and very rural. Famously where Britney Spears is from. epic

2. Osyka, Mississippi -- Really the area between Hammond, LA and McComb, Mississippi should be considered one like "micropolis" because they operate as one region. This is where I grew up. It sucked then and sucks now. Rural, poor, with a few wealthy or upper middle class people...still lots of racism and evangelicals and republicans are the majority. Many dying old railroad towns.

3. Baton Rouge, Louisiana -- LSU was the reason I first moved here... I was in love with this city when I was a kid. Young and stupid. Terrible traffic, high crime, people can be great or they can be total a-holes. Do not miss it.
4. New Orleans, LA-- when I was in my early twenties this was my favorite place on earth. I wanted so badly to officially live here but I was in Baton Rouge which was close enough and I spent so much time here from 19-24 I may as well have lived there. Then in 2014 at age 28, I decided to move to sort of have a change of space and scenery from where I was living, which is the next entry. I had a great job I loved, found an awesome attic apartment in the FQ next door to the cathedral. Active social life...on paper seems perfect. I hated every second of it. Crime out of control, everyone knows everyone and there are always way too many dumb and drunk tourists...renting is a maze of horrors...I never felt safe walking anywhere in that place. TV and film industry causes a lot of closed streets and blocked off pathways. Smells like urine and horse feces all the time. Not much diversity.

5. Houston, Texas-- where I live now and have lived almost most of my adult life at this point. I first visited when I was 18 and was blown away. Began to come regularly-ish like twice a year or so for the next few years. Loved the freeways and the downtown skyline and found the people very friendly. I wondered what living here would be like. In 2007, I found out when my ex and I moved here. I fell in love with this place. But it wasn't the best time in my life. After 9 months, ex and I broke up and I had to suddenly move back to Baton Rouge, where I was miserable for two years and thought only of returning to Houston. In 2010, I finally got tired of talking about it and being unhappy and I just did it. Saved up, and just went for it...all alone. Packed up my stuff and my cat into my tiny little 2 door white Chevy something that broke down on me all the time and had no ac and which I hated. My parents and uncle had helped me move my furniture the week before...after I came and found an apartment and job. First day here, I traded the white Chevy for a black 2 door Honda Civic WITH AC and a manual transmission. Met a guy who is still one of my good friends. Ended up hating the job but have LOVED living here.
Houston has become the most important place in my life and is likely my ultimate home. If we ever move anywhere, it will be temporary most likely...like for work or for the hell of it, but Houston is where I will always want to return and make my home.
Houston is where I managed to find myself and discover my true self, where I have made the best friends of my life, met and married my husband, got my dog, decided to become a paramedic (still in school for that) and where the best job I have ever had has been located.

Now, if I were to move...which I kind of want to do temporarily when I start as a medic... I kind of want to see what living in San Antonio is like. If we ever left permanently it would be for somewhere cold like Colorado or New England. I'd even consider Alaska.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:31 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
In rank order:

1. Palm Springs CA - tourist mecca, punches way above its weight and size amenity-wise. Lots to do and experience.
2. Sacramento CA - a big town. Portland with palm trees.
3. Tucson AZ - again, a big town, and where I am now. Just right population-wise for me.
4. Austin TX - love the Austin of 15-20 years ago when I lived there; I wouldn't do it now.
5. Portland OR (hometown) - love the Portland of my youth. That's gone now.
6. Anaheim CA - one more suburb in an endless string of interchangeable suburbia.
7. Phoenix AZ - too big, takes way too long to get anywhere. Only two seasons, hot and not-quite-so-hot
8. Dallas TX - way too big, worst drivers I've ever experienced, and as for the natives, they call it "Dallitude" for a reason

Fantasy city to which I'd love to move - Savannah GA, but it'll never happen.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:30 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
1.) Washington, D.C. for 4 years. Really love the city, the metro is a huge plus. It’s so clean and has great connections which is important to me because I choose not to have a car.

2.) Charlotte. It’s a nice suburban city. Everything nice about suburbia, Charlotte excels in. Cute little “villages” (developments designed like a downtown), grocery stores are way too nice. Even the Waffle House where I lived in Cornelius has a stone façade.

Next city in order of where I would live:

1) NYC (mass transit is a huge plus)
2.) San Francisco (it’s just my favorite city)
3.) Los Angeles (The suburbs are the best in the world by far)

There’s not other cities I really want to live in in the US beyond those.

Old 10-10-2021, 03:37 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
What this person said. I’ve never been to Greeley but I already know Longmont beats it. BTW, Loveland is even creepier than Longmont. I think it’s a northern front range thing- I get rural 90s Northern Ohio vibes with a bit of juggalo. Maybe I’ve gotten too used to living in vibrant metros but it definitely made me (and my partner) pretty uncomfortable. For the record, I’ve never seen a juggalo in N Colorado, but it’s the best way I can think to describe it right now.

It’s like being in a sleepy, tired, twighlight zone. Like taking a time machine back to the rural towns of the Midwest before they fully died. I’d admit that I’m being a bit dramatic, but that’s really how it felt sometimes. The newer suburban developments (we happened to live in one) were nicer, but still slightly depressing.

Just found this.. almost reads like satire, but it references a a juggalo ‘gang’ in Loveland, whatta know, I might not be so crazy after all.
https://www.lovelandwaterandpower.or...cument?id=2396
I know this is just a fun, casual thread, but could you post a couple streetviews of areas that feel creepy? I get that streetview doesn't capture things that can affect an area's vibe --- how many people are walking around, strange people talking to you, the amount of traffic --- but just from a bit of viewing, it doesn't look different to me from any other small Colorado city.

Now Pueblo, that's definitely a city I can imagine feeling creepy IRL. Or any of the small plains towns east of the Front Range...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
1.) Washington, D.C. for 4 years. Really love the city, the metro is a huge plus. It’s so clean and has great connections which is important to me because I choose not to have a car.

2.) Charlotte. It’s a nice suburban city. Everything nice about suburbia, Charlotte excels in. Cute little “villages” (developments designed like a downtown), grocery stores are way too nice. Even the Waffle House where I lived in Cornelius has a stone façade.

Next city in order of where I would live:

1) NYC (mass transit is a huge plus)
2.) San Francisco (it’s just my favorite city)
3.) Los Angeles (The suburbs are the best in the world by far)

There’s not other cities I really want to live in in the US beyond those.
Just curious, if you're into the mass transit lifestyle, why do you want to live in Charlotte and LA but not Philly, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, or Boston?

Old 10-12-2021, 03:48 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
In rank order:

1. Palm Springs CA - tourist mecca, punches way above its weight and size amenity-wise. Lots to do and experience.
2. Sacramento CA - a big town. Portland with palm trees.
3. Tucson AZ - again, a big town, and where I am now. Just right population-wise for me.
4. Austin TX - love the Austin of 15-20 years ago when I lived there; I wouldn't do it now.
5. Portland OR (hometown) - love the Portland of my youth. That's gone now.
6. Anaheim CA - one more suburb in an endless string of interchangeable suburbia.
7. Phoenix AZ - too big, takes way too long to get anywhere. Only two seasons, hot and not-quite-so-hot
8. Dallas TX - way too big, worst drivers I've ever experienced, and as for the natives, they call it "Dallitude" for a reason

Fantasy city to which I'd love to move - Savannah GA, but it'll never happen.
Was just in Dallas. Yea some pretty awful attitudes among those in the service industry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City