Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 09:41 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,735 times

Advertisements

1.Austin, TX Met my wife there, had tons of fun, my first experience living in a bigger city. Loved the climate and hint of Texan culture. Great beer (I think better than Colorado). More scenic than I would of expected (big cypress trees, beautiful rivers, sprawling oak trees). Probably wouldn’t be as fun now that I’m over 30, but I’ll always love that city. Loved living in Texas and experiencing the diverse geography and culture. I was pleasantly surprised by Galveston and the Big Bend region is still one of the coolest places I’ve ever visited. San Antonio was a fun day trip.

2. Denver, CO Current city. I’m enjoying that it’s more urban than Austin. Food is good, not great. I’m actually not a huge fan of the high and dry climate -. Wish there were a bit more cloudy days. Planning every hike can get exhausting- I hardly go in the mornings anymore and just wait till 2PM or later when everyone is leaving.. I miss the days of being a 10 minute drive from a forested metro park. Overall it’s a pretty alright city, but I don’t feel at home here.

3. Dayton, OH I grew up in the suburbs. Everytime I go back I’m always excited to explore new restaurants and visit the metro parks. It was a pretty solid place to grow up. Definitely enough to do if you look for it.

4. Longmont, CO. Not the most exciting place in the world, but I loved being 15-20 minutes from the foothills. Pretty good dining options for the city of its size. The older parts of the city gave off creepy vibes. Felt slightly depressed there.

5. TX Hill Country Rock Springs, Junction, Marble falls, northern SA metro). Traveled around for my job for about a year. Coming from Ohio, everything was different and I kind of loved it. I got to work on ranches in the middle of nowhere.. It was a cool experience, and sometimes terrifying. The locals were nutty, unstable, and afraid of everything (I worked in utilities). Like the kind of people who sit around all day dreaming of the time when they’ll finally be able to use their gun on a trespasser. Everyone seemed to be home, not working. A ton of wannabe ranchers. I didn’t enjoy that part of it. **** those people.

6. Daytona Beach, FL spent a summer there for work. Not too memorable, just remember absolutely hating Florida and being over my job and all of the travel. Worked mostly in DeLand. Went down to Fort Meyers to visit a friend. I thought the beaches down there were much nicer than Daytona.

7. Athens, OH - fun little college town. Absolutely beautiful campus. Looking back though after all these years, the culture and amount of things to do was extremely lacking. Not sure if I’ll ever have a reason to return.

Next up SoCal

Last edited by Jame22; 09-26-2021 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 10:17 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'll list all the places I've lived as an adult.
  1. Fort Collins, CO
    Went to college here, and if the economy for tech jobs were solid, I'd move back in a hot second.

2. Aurora, CO
    Current city. The part of the city I live in has great schools and expansive views of the foothills and high peaks of the Front Range, but it's a little far from everything.

3. Brush, CO
    Small farming community on the Eastern Plains. Bunked with the in-laws here until we bought our house in Aurora.

4. Craig, CO
    Small city on the Western Slope in the heart of Trump Country. The city's economy is almost totally dependent upon fossil fuels. When the coal-fired power plant shuts down (by 2030), the city will die.

5. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
    Lived in 3 different parts of the Metroplex. Grew to hate all of them. Nice folks and all the banal amenities one could ever want, but the traffic is horrendous, the climate sucks (especially from May/June 'til well into September), and there's literally nothing scenically appealing about the area. It's Kansas with more trees. Plus Texas Pride is annoying as hell.

Where will I move next? Either Fort Collins or one of Denver's western burbs like Littleton or Arvada.
Either Dallas is the most hated metro on this forum or Colorado people really have a strong dislike for Texans in general.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:21 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I think the latter….they also have a strong dislike for Californians as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Either Dallas is the most hated metro on this forum or Colorado people really have a strong dislike for Texans in general.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:34 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
The latter. Coloradans blame Texans for a lot of their problems. Dallas is well liked here.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:48 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
I think over the years I've pretty clearly spelled out what I dislike about DFW. The climate and scenery are both crap. It's an awful place to live if you need more than a bunch of grungy lakes and "mountains" that are 2-4 hours away to satisfy your urge to be outdoors.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:30 PM

1,846 posts, read 832,254 times
Fort Worth, TX suburbs: Born and raised around FW until after college. Lived closer to the outskirts of the metroplex so most of the negatives that come with living in the city didn't exist, but there were plenty of things to do as a kid / teenager within a 30 minute drive. Got use to the summers but still hate them. The geography isn't to bad, but it's not an outdoorsy climate. Overall it's fine, didn't hate it and didn't love it.
Spring, TX (N Houston): First six months hated it, second six months were meh, final six months were fine. Humid and hot yes, traffic yes, flat basic landscape yes, flooding sometimes, very friendly people most of the time and diverse very much so. Moved down there for a better job and cheaper housing both of which Houston had plenty of at the time. Can't see myself moving back
Hackettstown, NJ: Stayed here for less then a year. Trees/mountains/lakes/nature everywhere really felt like a wilderness vacation every day. Slim Pickens when it came to entertainment, food and shopping although most of the food choices were local instead of the typical national venues. Less then an hour drive to the beach. 20ish minute drive to the train station which went to Penn station (NYC). Really enjoyed it here, but it was very expensive especially for how remote the city felt.
Back to the FW suburbs: Currently in Arlington. Even being in the better part of town still can't figure out why I choose to live here. At first it was a love hate relationship although I'm slowly falling out of love with it. Climate still sucks, honestly the people around here aren't the nicest, and traffic is a pain. For as much hate as Arlington gets from other D/FW residents it has some nice areas. Those nice areas are keeping me from saying that it's worse then Spring, TX.
Considered northern NM until I visited there a few times (would be a nice place to retire). Secondly was southern Colorado or Colorado Springs, but the job market is no bueno and housing isn't cheap. Final and current plans are south of the D/FW metroplex closer to Waco.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:55 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
4. Longmont, CO. Not the most exciting place in the world, but I loved being 15-20 minutes from the foothills. Pretty good dining options for the city of its size. The older parts of the city gave off creepy vibes. Felt slightly depressed there.

6. Daytona Beach, FL spent a summer there for work. Not too memorable, just remember absolutely hating Florida and being over my job and all of the travel. Worked mostly in DeLand. Went down to Fort Meyers to visit a friend. I thought the beaches down there were much nicer than Daytona.
I've often heard others describe Daytona Beach, as being a little meh of a city. And that other nearby beach towns were better, i.e. New Smyrna Beach. And I remember once google street viewing Daytona, and to me I thought other beach towns in Florida I had street viewed look better.

As for Longmont, would you say it's better off than Greeley? Traditionally, I had heard from others (and the times I had streel viewed certain northern Colorado places north of Denver, but hadn't yet street viewed Longmont) that Greeley was the most blue collar place north of Denver in CO, but not sure if Longmont tops that. I always had that impression Greeley was most like that over Longmont, but am not sure. Thanks to you or any others, where I could hear your thoughts comparing Longmont and Greeley.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:57 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I think over the years I've pretty clearly spelled out what I dislike about DFW. The climate and scenery are both crap. It's an awful place to live if you need more than a bunch of grungy lakes and "mountains" that are 2-4 hours away to satisfy your urge to be outdoors.
Funny you say that, about DFW. We have the same pain in the Chicago area, having to travel west/northwest towards the 'driftless region'(northwest Illinois, northeast Iowa, southeast Minnesota, and southwest Wisconsin) if we want to go to somewhere that isn't totally flat. So I feel the pain of y'all, in the DFW area!

For hills and mountains, isn't the closest such areas that aren't entirely flat in southern Oklahoma? Like the Arbuckle Mountains, and Wichita Mountains?

Old 09-28-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Funny you say that, about DFW. We have the same pain in the Chicago area, having to travel west/northwest towards the 'driftless region'(northwest Illinois, northeast Iowa, southeast Minnesota, and southwest Wisconsin) if we want to go to somewhere that isn't totally flat. So I feel the pain of y'all, in the DFW area!

For hills and mountains, isn't the closest such areas that aren't entirely flat in southern Oklahoma? Like the Arbuckle Mountains, and Wichita Mountains?
Yes, thus the "mountains" dig. DFW homers love to brag up the Ouachitas, Wichitas, and Arbuckles. They're puny hills that were probably mountains a million years ago. There are some hills...erm I mean "mountains" west of Fort Worth, too.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
As for Longmont, would you say it's better off than Greeley? Traditionally, I had heard from others (and the times I had streel viewed certain northern Colorado places north of Denver, but hadn't yet street viewed Longmont) that Greeley was the most blue collar place north of Denver in CO, but not sure if Longmont tops that. I always had that impression Greeley was most like that over Longmont, but am not sure. Thanks to you or any others, where I could hear your thoughts comparing Longmont and Greeley.
Longmont over Greeley without question. Greeley is much farther out on the plains, and you'll get regular reminders of how intertwined the city is with the ag industry. There's a meatpacking plant on the north side of town and a gigantic feedlot just east of the city. When the wind is coming out of the east you'll get the smell of manure and ammonia (urine), and if the wind is out of the north you'll get the not-so-fresh scent of whatever they're incinerating at the meatpacking plant. Pray to god that doesn't happen on the days when they're rendering the blood.

On top of that Weld County is backwards AF. Their county commissioners are a bunch of redneck GOBs. One of them (Lori Saine) has done some pretty racist and insensitive crap in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City