Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more dismissive of the rest of the country?
East Coast 51 39.23%
West Coast 52 40.00%
About equal 27 20.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 04:50 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,997,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Disagree - the West Coast is snootier and more dismissive.
The Bos-Wash Corridor is dismissive of every other city except NYC; NYC is dismissive of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 04:55 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,579,347 times
There is this famous cover that appeared on The New Yorker magazine in 1976...lol:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...MaAibxEALw_wcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Bos-Wash Corridor is dismissive of every other city except NYC; NYC is dismissive of everyone.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:29 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,619,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Yes, much of America looks down on the coastal cities. Often this is based on fox news BS, not the real world. But some is reality-based disagreement on things like assault rifles. Lots of people all over consider themselves more "real people" than others, whether it's people in the rich neighborhoods, the poor neighborhoods, the rich cities, the poorer cities, farms, etc. Some think people buying organic quinoa with bean sprouts are less real, while others think people who eat at Applebees are slaves to the system. In some ways they're often doing the same thing: keeping to the local or sublocal ways.
Well put. Scorn and resentment definitely cuts both ways. But in the end, the vast majority of us are the same pawns to the super wealthy.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:16 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
Miami is not on anyone’s radar on the West Coast. It may as well be Siberia.

NYC is the only city outside of the West Coast that people on the West Coast pay any attention to or care about.
I know there's no way you could've known this but I was half joking about Miami.

Now if I had never met anyone from the West Coast before now I might be inclined to believe the rest of your post, but fortunately I know better than that. I've met too many California transplants and tourists down here in South Florida. I doubt Siberia has quite as many.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:11 AM

7,416 posts, read 6,579,347 times
I thought about the bolded part for awhile before deciding to reply....some do, some don’t.

It seems a newly transplanted person on the West Coast will look down on their former East Coast home usually centered around weather (novelty), especially during the winter and within their first few years of relocation. In many other cases, transplants are frequently comparing their new home (in terms of amenities and qualities outside of weather and usually with fellow transplants) against their former East coast home and how, often times, one or more items do not measure up—which usually prompts from others a chorus of “if you don’t like it here, why don’t you leave” response that you will hear out West but not back East. Back East, it is more common to complain or kvetch—without offending others—then do a shot at the bar with the person you are talking with and all is good again. Nobody’s feelings were hurt.

There’s an “only in NY” and an “only in CA”, but they go at it in different ways and based on different metrics. Both tend to be dismissive of flyover country with the exception of Chicago and an occasional Rocky Mountains ski trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Again, it's transplants from the East Coast who look down on their former home--Californians themselves generally have no opinion of other places in favor of or against. Only places that actively come for us like Texas, then we have an opinion.

But as far as the Midwest and East Coast, I can assure you we don't even think much about you let alone 'look down' on you. Aside from agreeing that the weather sucks back there and how we love NYC, or going to college back there, or DC, or Atlanta, or Miami, or Chicago, there is very little conversation about the East and Midwest, unless people from there bring it up, which they do, not us.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-23-2021 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-23-2021, 10:42 AM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I thought about the bolded part for awhile before deciding to reply....some do, some don’t.

It seems a newly transplanted person on the West Coast will look down on their former East Coast home usually centered around weather (novelty), especially during the winter and within their first few years of relocation. In many other cases, transplants are frequently comparing their new home (in terms of amenities and qualities outside of weather and usually with fellow transplants) against their former East coast home and how, often times, one or more items do not measure up—which usually prompts from others a chorus of “if you don’t like it here, why don’t you leave” response that you will hear out West but not back East. Back East, it is more common to complain or kvetch—without offending others—then do a shot at the bar with the person you are talking with and all is good again. Nobody’s feelings were hurt.

There’s an “only in NY” and an “only in CA”, but they go at it in different ways and based on different metrics. Both tend to be dismissive of flyover country with the exception of Chicago and an occasional Rocky Mountains ski trip.
Yeah, I just know that Californians don't sit around thinking about, conversating about, criticizing, much less looking down on other parts of the country out of thin air, just to make ourselves feel superior-that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of and there are a lot of hyper sensitive out-of-staters who need to develop thicker skin and stop acting like perennial victims. Sticks and Stones people, get over it.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:42 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,997,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
There is this famous cover that appeared on The New Yorker magazine in 1976...lol:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...MaAibxEALw_wcB
That is exactly how NYC sees the world.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:25 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
West Coast in a landslide, seemingly if City Data is any indication occupied exclusively by delicate little flowers adverse to any kind of normal humidity.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:48 PM

503 posts, read 802,078 times
West Coast, especially Seattle and SF.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:19 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,619,113 times
I'm honestly surprised by so many folks opting for the West Coast for this question. Certainly there's a cadre of West Coasters that can be insufferable about where they live. But I've always found native West Coasters more open-minded and FAR less elitist than East Coasters. Like not even a contest.

The "East Coast Establishment" is alive and well, and the superiority complex among many residents in the Northeast Corridor is honestly pretty nauseating.

Can't tell you how often you'll hear condescending and arrogant comments about the South and Midwest, and even the West Coast itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City