Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more dismissive of the rest of the country?
East Coast 51 39.23%
West Coast 52 40.00%
About equal 27 20.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 05:30 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
I've found mutually dismissive/hostile attitudes toward other regions and perspectives to be pretty universal. East/West, North/South, urban/rural, etc: people are (to a really unfortunate degree), largely working with caricatures of what they think people in other regions (or simply people who are different than them) are like. People in the cities often believe people in rural areas are ignorant racists, people in rural areas often think people in the cities want to take their guns and force them to convert to Islam. And so on.

These are very broad examples, of course; just to illustrate the point of how polarized and reactionary so many people's mindsets have become.

But that fact is (obviously), it's all much more complicated than that. People like stereotypes, though.

I remember when the internet was supposedly going to break down those barriers, and correct those misperceptions. Instead, too often it seems have simply reinforced people's prejudices and biases, and made them worse.

And liberal/conservative is very much part of this dynamic, as well.

I don't think any region or group has a monopoly on closed mindedness, or open mindedness. Way too many people are in their own bubbles, and echo chambers.
100000000%....on everything you've said here.

/thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 06:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Also, why does San Diego has aweird obsession with Boston and vice versa? Whats that all about?
It’s more the other way around; A LOT of Boston transplants in SD. I knew a lot when I lived there.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:09 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,424,599 times
Never been to California but As a born and raised East Coaster we tend to be very arrogant and dismissive of the rest of the country. So I voted east coast.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:19 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
West Coast in a landslide, seemingly if City Data is any indication occupied exclusively by delicate little flowers adverse to any kind of normal humidity.
Haha true weather is probably the one topic where we really do complain about...but that has nothing to do with the people or the amenities etc. We're just not used to rain in the summer at various intervals throughout the day.

Although we had a little mugginess on saturday and tbh I kind of liked it-reminded me of Hawaii.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:51 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,405,236 times
On this forum definitely the west coast. I can think of some particular posters from the Bay Area, San Diego, and Seattle with some highly consistent smug.

East coast folks seem chill, though a little over-obsessed with rowhouses.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:06 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
I would say West Coast from my experience. People in the Bay Area tend to be the most smug when giving their opinions about the middle of the country. Seattle and Portland also tend to like to turn up their nose as well.

SoCal is a mixed bag. Most natives born before 1985 seem to be quite open to what the middle of the country offers. The younger generation from SoCal seem to look at the Middle of the Country as a toilet minus a few places.

There are exceptions of course. People on the West Coast love them some Austin. Denver, Boise, and increasingly Atlanta seem to be thought of highly as well.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:37 AM

309 posts, read 308,386 times
The East Coast. Folks on the west coast don't realize anything exists east of Rockies

Old 05-24-2021, 12:00 PM

2,926 posts, read 2,015,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha true weather is probably the one topic where we really do complain about...but that has nothing to do with the people or the amenities etc. We're just not used to rain in the summer at various intervals throughout the day.

Although we had a little mugginess on saturday and tbh I kind of liked it-reminded me of Hawaii.
Where was it muggy? The East Bay?
It's been bone dry out here in far inland CA. Hoping it stays that way all summer. Last summers humidity kicked my butt, we need a break from that.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:22 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
From my own personal experience and anecdotal evidence the East Coast and I'm talking NORTHEAST is the most dismissive group of people I've ran across in my lifetime. I've never heard so many people poop on cities and regions they've never been to in my life. And as someone who likes to travel I've encountered the smug and disdain once people find out I'm from Texas.

I'd say my experiences in Cali were actually pretty cool. Seem much more laid back and reserved with their perspective on every other part of America. I've run into a few elitist there as well don't get me wrong. Felt like it was more so a smugness with some older people in San Francisco than it was with millennials. Unless they were tech bros.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:03 PM

580 posts, read 515,249 times
Most native or long time Californians know so little about back east they do not really have an opinion.

It's more the transplants, and people passing through for a few years that are the most vocal about back east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City