Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better public transit?
Toronto 39 35.45%
Chicago 71 64.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:22 AM

2,305 posts, read 1,716,165 times

Advertisements

I’m curious which one of these two Great Lakes powerhouses people think has the better public transit system. I’m thinking in terms of coverage, convenience, frequency, going to where people want to be, etc. Which city’s public transit system does a better job for users of the system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I’m curious which one of these two Great Lakes powerhouses people think has the better public transit system. I’m thinking in terms of coverage, convenience, frequency, going to where people want to be, etc. Which city’s public transit system does a better job for users of the system?
It’s really close but I’d say Toronto because its subway system integrates much better with its buses and streetcars than the El does with Chicago’s buses. Personally I think I’d find it easier to get around in Toronto because it all just feels more seamless. But again it’s close.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Provider View Post
It’s really close but I’d say Toronto because its subway system integrates much better with its buses and streetcars than the El does with Chicago’s buses. Personally I think I’d find it easier to get around in Toronto because it all just feels more seamless. But again it’s close.
What exactly do you mean by this? I can't think of a single El stop that doesn't have at least one bus route going to it.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 13,197 times
Not everyone lives that close to an El station in Chicago or a subway station in Toronto. What I mean is transfers between the different modes (subway, buses, streetcars) feels easier in Toronto than Chicago. Also, it’s worth noting Toronto has several underground light rail lines under construction that will blend well into the system and provide more coverage. Does Chicago have any major expansion plans?

Old 06-17-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Not everyone lives that close to an El station in Chicago or a subway station in Toronto. What I mean is transfers between the different modes (subway, buses, streetcars) feels easier in Toronto than Chicago. Also, it’s worth noting Toronto has several underground light rail lines under construction that will blend well into the system and provide more coverage. Does Chicago have any major expansion plans?
I’ve found Chicago’s bus-rail connections to be pretty well-planned actually. I will say Toronto is the one North America city where streetcars actually work and they are well connected to the TTC subway so that’s a plus. But I’d argue that the El itself has better coverage in the urban core than the TTC subway so it’s kind of a wash.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Did you live in Chicago or are you just guessing? I think people who live in Chicago will tell you that this is absolutely not true (and I'm one of them who used to live there and what you are you saying is not true). Every single train station in Chicago has bus routes that go directly to it. It doesn't stop at El stops either - the Metra (commuter rail) stops usually have bus routes that go directly to them or fairly close.

Major expansion plans for Chicago? There are some - apart from doing renovation work on tens of stations, replacing track on an entire line, and replacing track now, they have expansion plans for at least one of the lines (Red line) to extend it over 5 miles. Not counting a few new stations that should open in the next few years and of course the fact that Elon Musk and the city announced yesterday about the high speed train between downtown and O'Hare airport.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-17-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Did you live in Chicago or are you just guessing? I think people who live in Chicago will tell you that this is absolutely not true (and I'm one of them who used to live there and what you are you saying is not true). Every single train station in Chicago has bus routes that go directly to it. It doesn't stop at El stops either - the Metra (commuter rail) stops usually have bus routes that go directly to them or fairly close.

Major expansion plans for Chicago? There are some - apart from doing renovation work on tens of stations, replacing track on an entire line, and replacing track now, they have expansion plans for at least one of the lines (Red line) to extend it over 5 miles. Not counting a few new stations that should open in the next few years and of course the fact that Elon Musk and the city announced yesterday about the high speed train between downtown and O'Hare airport.
Yeah - am I right to be skeptical of what Elon Musk is proposing though? 15 minutes from O’Hare to Downtown seems very ambitious.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:56 PM

58 posts, read 55,049 times
Toronto definitely. Chicago is dense in the core and falls apart after that.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposedData View Post
Toronto definitely. Chicago is dense in the core and falls apart after that.
What exactly does that mean? Are you saying transit service outside the core is better in Toronto?

Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
What exactly does that mean? Are you saying transit service outside the core is better in Toronto?
Toronto's bus system has far better frequency of service in its outer neighbourhoods than Chicago does. In the core, Toronto's subway, streetcar and bus routes operate at extremely high frequencies -- likely placing it first among U.S. and Canadian transit systems in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City