Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 07:45 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Honestly, there isnt a place I "dont want to visit". Im willing to give every place a chance and Ive discovered some places I truly loved in the process, yet wasnt expecting anything from. Cincinnati is an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 09:19 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I
I could pass on NYC and Miami and do Long Island instead. Don't get the highrises or glam but you still get east coast, bagels, pizza, beach, and probably the same people. Atlanta flies direct to Long Island MacArthur!

Pass on San Diego, San Fransisco, and Portland, would do Seattle + Forks WA. Might as well see the most rainforesty part of the west coast.
NYC has tons of neighborhoods and places to experience all the stuff you are looking for on Long Island. I wouldn't skip it. People tend to think NYC is all tall buildings. Yes, there is a lot of that, but go to Greenwich Village or East Village or much of Brooklyn and you'll see a lot of great stuff. I've only been to Manhattan, which by itself has a couple dozen of distinct neighborhoods.

As for SF - man, it used to be awesome, and guessing some of it still is, but even I don't really want to go there anymore. It's turned into a much worse place just in the last 10 years.

I did not like Portland OR that much. The surrounding area is great, and Portland itself does have a pretty decent downtown area, but the energy was not for me.

Seattle was great the one time I went for 2-3 days in 2015.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:27 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
NYC has tons of neighborhoods and places to experience all the stuff you are looking for on Long Island. I wouldn't skip it. People tend to think NYC is all tall buildings. Yes, there is a lot of that, but go to Greenwich Village or East Village or much of Brooklyn and you'll see a lot of great stuff. I've only been to Manhattan, which by itself has a couple dozen of distinct neighborhoods.

As for SF - man, it used to be awesome, and guessing some of it still is, but even I don't really want to go there anymore. It's turned into a much worse place just in the last 10 years.

I did not like Portland OR that much. The surrounding area is great, and Portland itself does have a pretty decent downtown area, but the energy was not for me.

Seattle was great the one time I went for 2-3 days in 2015.
I guess I'm not that interested in Manhattan and the craziness around it, Chicago appears to be the superior skyscraper city. Brooklyn or Queens seems more interesting to get the vibrancy of NYC.

I wonder if there will be anything that replicates what SF used to be? It'd be cool if another part of CA could pick up on that.

Oregon is amazing, so Portland's a great base but the city itself seems plagued. I think people sleep on the quieter, non coastal parts of California as well.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:10 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Never been to, want to visit (in order)
Chicago
Miami
Cincinnati
Portland OR
Seattle
Denver
Salt Lake City
Albuquerque
Louisville
Pittsburgh

Never been to, no desire to visit in no particular order
Milwaukee
Detroit
Austin
El Paso
New Orleans

Old 06-03-2021, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 8,808 times
LA
Dallas
Austin

Old 06-03-2021, 02:47 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,043,034 times
There's literally no good-sized city that I wouldn't want to visit. I simply don't understand the mindset.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:56 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
There's literally no good-sized city that I wouldn't want to visit. I simply don't understand the mindset.
Well, choices are limited because most people won't be able to catch them all. Since people have to pick options, some places really perk interests while others don't as much. I agree, I could find things to do in every decent city in the nation, but since I, like most people, only visit a handful a year, ranking helps prioritize.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:25 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Well, choices are limited because most people won't be able to catch them all. Since people have to pick options, some places really perk interests while others don't as much. I agree, I could find things to do in every decent city in the nation, but since I, like most people, only visit a handful a year, ranking helps prioritize.
This. Though El Paso or Milwaukee etc are not on my "must-see" list, I wouldn't actually hesitate to go visit them. There are just a lot of other places I would go to first.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:44 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
I haven't been there yet. I really haven't even explored the US east of the Mississippi much outside of the ATL area. The ocean is fun, but I wouldn't want that to be the main focus of a trip, just one of the activities.

Being on an island seems novel for a Colorado native . On Long Island, if you go east and you get scenery and islands to explore and a new england vibe, go west and you have queens and Brooklyn. Come back to the middle and you have a hassle free small airport to fly out of! Seems like a good way to get introduced to the northeast.
Gotcha. Yeah I see what you mean about LI potentially being a way to see various parts of the northeast, and it(for all I know) being a little more laid back(maybe at least in parts of Suffolk County?) vs. NYC. And yep do know what you mean about it having an airport to various parts of the country, through MacArthur Airport.

Also LI having a few ferries east and north to other places(i.e. New London(CT), Block Island(RI), Newport(RI), etc to other parts of southern Connecticut across the Long Island Sound), would be nice as well.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:09 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
The want to visit list is long, but to list a handful,

Seattle
Santa Cruz
San Diego
Albuquerque
Tulsa
Birmingham
Burlington
Portland ME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City