Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 09:50 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
This. Though El Paso or Milwaukee etc are not on my "must-see" list, I wouldn't actually hesitate to go visit them. There are just a lot of other places I would go to first.
I've been to both these 2 cities. To me, Milwaukee is a sleeper of a great city to visit, that I think sometimes flies under the radar. A lot of great restaurants and bars, and also it has some decent museums too(i.e. Milwaukee Art Museum). Some of the communities just outside Milwaukee's city limits are nice too, such as Shorewood and Wauwatosa.

El Paso is nice too, especially if you like outdoor hiking. There's a good park east of I-10 and off of Texas 375, that offers a lot of good hiking paths within the mountains north of downtown El Paso. And pre-9/11, I remember Ciudad Juarez(IF you have a passport) had a few good things to do, such as a flea market that was fun to shop at. Not sure if that market is still open anymore, since for a little while cartel violence got bad in northern Mexico. Hopefully such violence has died down, and that Ciudad Juarez is safer to visit again. Thinking about that, it now makes me wonder if the US/Mexico land border has reopened again? I have this weird feeling the Mexico land border will reopen sooner, vs. the Canadian land border on a side note from reading articles about both situations. Not sure why.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 01:08 PM

474 posts, read 530,461 times
Want to Visit:

Minneapolis
Detroit
Miami
New Orleans
Providence
SLC

Old 06-04-2021, 01:31 PM

624 posts, read 906,221 times
Los Angeles
San Diego
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
Atlanta only seen it from the highway
Miami
like to also see Idaho, Wyoming, Montana
seen the rest of the big metros

Old 06-04-2021, 01:51 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
I've been to every US metro with an MLB/NFL/MLS/NBA/NHL sports team except Columbus, Ohio, and to all 50 states. In addition to Columbus, Burlington, VT, Louisville, KY, El Paso, TX and Sedona, AZ are left on my list to visit.

One thing I'd recommend is assessing how many hours you want to spend somewhere. Mobile is great, but 3-4 hours there is plenty. You can do Mobile-Biloxi-New Orleans in a 2-3 day trip and see a lot. Kansas City-Lawrence-Omaha-Lincoln can be similar.

Personal preference, but I find Western cities far more interesting than others because of the topography and varying cultures. I'd add for anyone visiting Los Angeles you can go 20 times and miss things because it's so spread out and some of the better spots aren't so obvious. I know people who've been that many times and never seen the Arts District, Silver Lake, even Malibu. So many people go there and stick to a Hollywood-Santa Monica-Disneyland pattern that misses some great spots.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:28 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The want to visit list is long, but to list a handful,

Seattle
Santa Cruz
San Diego
Albuquerque
Tulsa
Birmingham
Burlington
Portland ME
A couple of people have mentioned Tulsa now. Why Tulsa?

I was there briefly by ORU for a meeting, and have driven through it a couple of times. It looks like a place I'd only go if required...so I'm curious what it is that intrigues you?

Old 06-04-2021, 05:48 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times

New Orleans & Atlanta

Old 06-04-2021, 05:59 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,044 times
1. Sahvenna, GA
2. Niagrara falls, NYC
3. Santa Fe, NM
4. Sedona, AR
5. Salt Lake City, UT
6. Pittsburgh, PE
7. Portland ,OR
8. New Orleans , LO
9. Orlando, FL
10. Puerto Rico City, PU

Old 06-04-2021, 06:03 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Billings, MT
Burlington, VT,
Warwick, RI

Old 06-04-2021, 06:16 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Want to visit:

- Seattle
- San Francisco
- Denver
- Salt Lake City
- Boise

- Nashville
- Boston
- Philadelphia

Most of the cities are on here because they are potential places I would be interested in moving to. Most cities don't stand out to me in the US as places to go see because I prefer doing relaxation or nature related stuff (lounging at the beach, visiting the forest etc.). I don't really care for a lot of like museum touring and what not. If I was going to see a city for the city itself, it would be either A) I'd be interested in living there or B) wildly outside of the US and therefore offer a significantly different cultural experience.

If I have my way I might cross off Philadelphia in a couple weeks.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:24 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
There's literally no good-sized city that I wouldn't want to visit. I simply don't understand the mindset.
I've traveled a lot (often for work) and visited more places than most. I love visiting new places, but I get not wanting to do so. It's like restaurants. After eating at lots of restaurants I started to develop some favorites. I will still go to new places if there is a buzz or good reviews but I'm not trying to visit every restaurant in LA when I already know lots of good places. It's the same with the buzz and feedback surrounding cities. I'll check them out if I'm there, but I'm not going out of my way to visit random cities that don't have positive feedback when there are so many that I already like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City