Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 12:14 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,688,285 times

Advertisements

Awe. DC is great. It’s very pretty, cosmopolitan, big and makes you feel patriotic even when you don’t want to be.
Even absent the landmarks, it’s a dynamic and pretty city. It’s not as “cool” as most cities its size (throw in Baltimore and it’s the 4th most populated metro in the country, 6th without Charm City) but it is classy and charming and feels important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 12:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,862,174 times
I like DC - I've been there for work several times and always wanted to see more. There's nothing like it, obviously.

If we are talking smaller places, there are many I left off my list, i.e.

Flagstaff AZ
San Luis Obispo, CA
Santa Fe, NM
P-Town, MA
Juneau, AK
Kauai, HI
Ithaca, NY

Old 06-08-2021, 05:57 PM

3,473 posts, read 3,391,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Not reeally. Nashua’s nice enough as far as small New England cities go. It has a decent mix of shops and restaurants downtown but it just doesn’t cater to tourists in the same way that the coastal cities do. You’d probably run out of things to see and do pretty quickly as a visitor.
Gotcha. I think I see what you're saying. That while it is nice, it is small and that eventually one visiting wouldn't find a lot of things to do there. Is that right?

I'd also want to see Traverse City, MI, due to the things I've read about there. Same with Duluth, MN as well. I also wouldn't mind seeing Houghton and Hancock, which are both on opposite sides of whatever river it is(always stupidly forget its name) on the bottom part of the Upper Peninsula(Michigan) Keweenaw Peninsula.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:45 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,822,408 times
I've lived in New York State for the better part of the last 14 years and still haven't visited NYC yet. I'm not a big city person but I would love to check out NYC. Mainly the touristy stuff like the Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial, Empire state building, central park, MSG, etc.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:40 AM

171 posts, read 189,322 times
Why Grand Rapids but not Detroit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I've been to many major US cities but there are some I haven't seen where I'd love to go. There are also places that I have no desire to see, based on personal biases or whatever. If someone has been to cities on either of my lists here, please let me know what your experiences have been. Anything NOT on these lists are places I've either already been to, or I'm pretty neutral about.

Want to Visit

San Antonio - would love to see the river walk and explore this place a bit. Don't need a week, but just a couple of days to see what is one of our 1M+ population centers. I think the culture might be neat there.

Burlington, VT - I know it's a small place but I've heard it's very cool.

Providence, RI - I think I would enjoy the age and history and charm. But maybe it's not worth it?

Grand Rapids, MI - I'll likely make this happen pretty soon

Greenville, NC - have heard nothing but great things about this city

Mobile, AL - very intrigued, it's just in a spot I never find myself traveling

Boise, ID - boomtown, curious

Cleveland, OH - some say it sucks, others say it's very underrated. I want to see for myself.

No Desire

Jacksonville
Orlando
Houston
Albuquerque
Baltimore
Toledo
Detroit
Omaha

Old 06-14-2021, 08:54 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,058,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Well, choices are limited because most people won't be able to catch them all. Since people have to pick options, some places really perk interests while others don't as much. I agree, I could find things to do in every decent city in the nation, but since I, like most people, only visit a handful a year, ranking helps prioritize.

Maybe. But I think one would have to be a half-witted clod to say, "Ewwwwww....that town? No thanks."

I have been traveling on biz for 35 years. I've yet to encounter a decent-sized town that couldn't keep me entertained for a couple of days.

So by closing oneself off from even considering a town, one basically says far more about oneself than they do about the town in question. Snobbery is just ignorance with a higher bit of status attached to it.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:04 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,232,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Maybe. But I think one would have to be a half-witted clod to say, "Ewwwwww....that town? No thanks."

I have been traveling on biz for 35 years. I've yet to encounter a decent-sized town that couldn't keep me entertained for a couple of days.

So by closing oneself off from even considering a town, one basically says far more about oneself than they do about the town in question. Snobbery is just ignorance with a higher bit of status attached to it.
Exactly! I look forward to seeing any city or town that I haven’t been to. People who claim to have no interest in seeing certain cities to me seem pretty pretentious and uninteresting and not someone who’s company I would enjoy.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:13 AM

12,859 posts, read 9,600,469 times
Chicago is about the only major I have not seen. Would love to see it.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:16 AM

20,522 posts, read 33,579,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
There's literally no good-sized city that I wouldn't want to visit. I simply don't understand the mindset.
I don't either unless you already visited once.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:27 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,461,653 times
Places that interest me that I will eventually visit:

*Charlotte
*Phoenix
*Detroit
*San Diego
*Tampa
*Memphis
*Tulsa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City