Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2021, 07:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The website I linked to before had a different list that was ordered by cities with the most buildings over 35 meters or 12 stories (no idea how old or how accurate it is):

World Ranking Name # of Builds over 35 Meters

8 New York City 6,608

52 Chicago 1,357

103 Los Angeles 587

115 Washington, D.C. 477

119 San Francisco 460

121 Honolulu 451

122 Philadelphia 447

124 Houston 434

125 Miami 404

129 Dallas 386

151 Detroit 270

154 San Juan 252

156 Boston 237

159 Atlanta 234

162 Seattle 222

168 Denver 204

171 Minneapolis 192

179 Baltimore 159

184 Pittsburgh 151

185 Miami Beach 150

185 St. Louis 150

187 San Diego 149

189 Austin 140

191 Fort Lauderdale 136

194 Las Vegas 135

198 Nashville 131

199 Portland 129

201 Cincinnati 120

205 Milwaukee 114

206 Kansas City 112

207 Cleveland 111

208 Jersey City 110

209 New Orleans 107

211 Hartford 103

212 Newark 100
Combined, Miami and Miami Beach have 554 such buildings in 43 square miles of land, and more are coming out of the ground. This is quite impressive when put up against monster land area cities like Houston, Los Angeles, etc. FWIW, there are other adjacent municipalities around Miami that aren't even included like North Bay Village, Sunrise, Bal Harbour, Coral Gables, etc. Even if they were, "Miami" would still be among the smallest area cities on this list, and have one of the most impressive numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 07:15 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Combined, Miami and Miami Beach have 554 such buildings in 43 square miles of land, and more are coming out of the ground. This is quite impressive when put up against monster land area cities like Houston, Los Angeles, etc. FWIW, there are other adjacent municipalities around Miami that aren't even included like North Bay Village, Sunrise, Bal Harbour, Coral Gables, etc. Even if they were, "Miami" would still be among the smallest area cities on this list, and have one of the most impressive numbers.
It shows that Miami is a desirable place to live, otherwise when they ran out of space they would have built elsewhere instead of building up. But that is what is expected. When you run out of land to build out you build up. I don't know if I would call it impressive though, it is just common sense.

What I find impressive is that in areas with lots of land and in places that most on here would deem less desirable they still build up. Houston has all this extra open land, they are not pressed for space, most on here clown on how undesirable it is and yet it is up there with the best of them for number of towers. THAT'S IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Old 06-18-2021, 08:30 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What are the differences between living in highrise’s in these cities? Amenities in the building? Rooftop pools? Neighborhoods? How is one highrise different from another? In DC’s case, what is the difference between living in a 15 story highrise compared to the 30-40 story highrises in other cities? I’ve often wondered this when comparing living in Arlington VA versus inside DC. You can live on the 30th floor in Arlington VA, but only the 15th floor in DC. Maybe the view is the difference? Based on the OPs criteria, I think this thread is only about views.

I think you are right on this. When I think of an advantage for DC in terms of having an even height limit, it's that a lot of places can have uninterrupted rooftop views of the monuments and other notable buildings. However, DC misses out on the 'in the city' views imo. My parents friend almost talked my parents into moving to Philly when they were ready to downsize. Their friend lives at the Symphony house condos and the view keeps getting better in regards to the 'in the city' view. DC also misses out on the more dramatic urban 'canyon' views down certain avenues or streets.
The view from the Symphony House, what I meant more of being 'in the city':

Walnut Street's 'canyon' of residential buildings:

Old 06-18-2021, 09:17 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
A DC high rise with "views".

https://www.1331maryland.com/gallery/

Old 06-18-2021, 10:01 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think you are right on this. When I think of an advantage for DC in terms of having an even height limit, it's that a lot of places can have uninterrupted rooftop views of the monuments and other notable buildings. However, DC misses out on the 'in the city' views imo. My parents friend almost talked my parents into moving to Philly when they were ready to downsize. Their friend lives at the Symphony house condos and the view keeps getting better in regards to the 'in the city' view. DC also misses out on the more dramatic urban 'canyon' views down certain avenues or streets.
The view from the Symphony House, what I meant more of being 'in the city':

Walnut Street's 'canyon' of residential buildings:
I think you’re right about the rooftop experience in DC versus other cities. I’ve been to many cities and the rooftop pool experience in DC is unlike any other city in the country because of the height limit. You don’t get the shadows from buildings or wind tunnels experienced in other cities. The views are uninterrupted too.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:07 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
I think you’re right about the rooftop experience in DC versus other cities. I’ve been to many cities and the rooftop pool experience in DC is unlike any other city in the country because of the height limit. You don’t get the shadows from buildings or wind tunnels experienced in other cities. The views are uninterrupted too.
DC has fantastic, absolutely best rooftop experience imho.

Coming from Boston, with virtually no rooftops (we have like 6 now!! lol) .. DC was a shock. Because not only are they are rooftops, some even circumnavigate the whole perimeter of the building open air. The W for example. Sure NYC, Providence, Chicago, etc may have higher rooftops.. but the views are obstructed, windy/unenjoyable or just or plain cold lol. (Shadows like you said)

This is a solid rep, DC gets the best rooftop terrace/bar experience. Theres a lot of them too...

Old 06-18-2021, 10:33 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Nope, I made no comment on their spread. I specifically stated that it may be time for an optometrist visit because your post sounded like you didn't see them at all. I made no mention of streets lined with condo towers.

I even mentioned that if you stayed near the mall you wouldn't find any there because they are not in that area.
There's hotel, retail and office around the mall, condos are a few block to the north with a spattering of them to the south
I said that "I didn't see much of it, if going by 15 stories." This means that I saw some, but not a lot. Did you understand me to mean that I didn't see any? That's not the case, just not a lot.

In that same post, I then said that if they are spread out, that might explain why I didn't see very many. We appear to agree that they are spread out, so that they may not stand out to visitors.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:39 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
What are the differences between living in highrise’s in these cities? Amenities in the building? Rooftop pools? Neighborhoods? How is one highrise different from another? In DC’s case, what is the difference between living in a 15 story highrise compared to the 30-40 story highrises in other cities? I’ve often wondered this when comparing living in Arlington VA versus inside DC. You can live on the 30th floor in Arlington VA, but only the 15th floor in DC. Maybe the view is the difference? Based on the OPs criteria, I think this thread is only about views.
I wouldn't have thought that it needed explaining, but yes people like views. Even in shorter buildings you typically pay more rent for the same floor plan as you go up.

This thread is about which cities allow you to live high up with good views.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:50 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
DC has fantastic, absolutely best rooftop experience imho.

Coming from Boston, with virtually no rooftops (we have like 6 now!! lol) .. DC was a shock. Because not only are they are rooftops, some even circumnavigate the whole perimeter of the building open air. The W for example. Sure NYC, Providence, Chicago, etc may have higher rooftops.. but the views are obstructed, windy/unenjoyable or just or plain cold lol. (Shadows like you said)

This is a solid rep, DC gets the best rooftop terrace/bar experience. Theres a lot of them too...
I think you are exaggerating this OBSTRUCTED Views from MOST roof-top bars in cities ALL OVER this Nation today. DC has NO monopoly whatsoever today on these. It is not 2010 and they have EXPLODED across the Nation. Just saying.

Nothing like water settings WITH high-rises and SKYSCRAPERS also. Seeing the Washington monument is nice. Just might not match a Chicago river skyline overview and those with views of Lake Michigan and its blue waters. NYC skyline either or a Miami coastal vista to SF and the bay.

Windy, unenjoyable and just plain old cold..... like DC gets no winters indeed. They even do them enclosed igglos now on roof-top bars in winter and some are also inside parts and outside. You could not have been in or at least seen the advertising pictures for so many of these especially hotel roof-top bars and their views.....

Just typing in roof top bars will give you links of plenty of them in cities all over the US for each city.... DC is just one of them. Great ones and ok ones.... just DC has no monopoly of penthouse to die for unobstructed views vs the rest today. Some the bars themselves gets a top billing of best roof-top bars also .... plenty with VIEWS TO DIE FOR especially from Hotels all over this land today. Mid-size cities can do them very well also indeed.

Last edited by NoHyping; 06-18-2021 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 11:58 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
I think you are exaggerating this OBSTRUCTED Views from MOST roof-top bars in cities ALL OVER this Nation today. DC has NO monopoly whatsoever today on these. It is not 2010 and they have EXPLODED across the Nation. Just saying.

Nothing like water settings WITH high-rises and SKYSCRAPERS also. Seeing the Washington monument is nice. Just might not match a Chicago river skyline overview and those with views of Lake Michigan and its blue waters. NYC skyline either or a Miami coastal vista to SF and the bay.

Windy, unenjoyable and just plain old cold..... like DC gets no winters indeed. They even do them enclosed igglos now on roof-top bars in winter and some are also inside parts and outside. You could not have been in or at least seen the advertising pictures for so many of these especially hotel roof-top bars and their views.....

Just typing in roof top bars will give you links of plenty of them in cities all over the US for each city.... DC is just one of them. Great ones and ok ones.... just DC has no monopoly of penthouse to die for unobstructed views vs the rest today. Some the bars themselves gets a top billing of best roof-top bars also .... plenty with VIEWS TO DIE FOR especially from Hotels all over this land today. Mid-size cities can do them very well also indeed.
I respect your opinion and realize we do not align on this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City