Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2021, 08:49 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times

Advertisements

I have no idea why people are putting DC behind SF, Philly, Houston etc. . . It has 900 highrises just in the urban core of DC, Arlington and Alexandria. Add in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Silver Spring, Tysons Corner and Reston and its more like 1200 (in an area that's still smaller than Houston)... Which city, other than NYC, Chicago and Metro Miami, even comes close to these numbers at a metro level?

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 06-20-2021 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 10:43 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I have no idea why people are putting DC behind SF, Philly, Houston etc. . . It has 900 highrises just in the urban core of DC, Arlington and Alexandria. Add in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Silver Spring, Tysons Corner and Reston and its more like 1200 (in an area that's still smaller than Houston)... Which city, other than NYC, Chicago and Metro Miami, even comes close to these numbers at a metro level?
Because even if you live in a high rise 1) that high rise is like 12 floors and 2) most people in s 12 floor building live less than 7 floors above the street. So it’s not really high rise living if you live on the 3rd floor of a high rise.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:52 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Because OP said 15 floors or higher, not the actual definition of high rise. More Higher rise living, not including mid rises. I dont call a 10 story building a high rise.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:44 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because even if you live in a high rise 1) that high rise is like 12 floors and 2) most people in s 12 floor building live less than 7 floors above the street. So it’s not really high rise living if you live on the 3rd floor of a high rise.
Well, the views you’re referring too are in Arlington, VA looking back at DC. It’s probably something that is unique about DC because the views are looking at the city from across the river like this below.

Arlington, VA Highrise Views

The views in other cities many times are in the city center looking at the surrounding suburbs. A city that would be similar to DC in that respect is NYC because Brooklyn and Jersey City have the best views similar to Arlington, VA.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What difference does it make what floor you are on? You either live in a highrise or you don't. I live on a 27th floor of a 35-storey building and my lifestyle is exactly the same as those living on the 4th floor -- we use the same elevators, same garage, same amenities and enter through the same lobby.

Also it's not like all of the highrises in the DC area are 12 floors. Emporis lists over 250 buildings 15 floors+ across metro DC. That's more than Philly, and not far behind Houston and SF/Oakland. And once you step down to the 12-15 range DC has like 5x more.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Because OP said 15 floors or higher, not the actual definition of high rise. More Higher rise living, not including mid rises. I dont call a 10 story building a high rise.
Ok fair enough -- but that cut-off is completely arbitrary and doesn't even comport with the generally accepted definition of a highrise. And even then -- see my response above. DC fares pretty well even with 15+.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:37 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
What difference does it make what floor you are on? You either live in a highrise or you don't. I live on a 27th floor of a 35-storey building and my lifestyle is exactly the same as those living on the 4th floor -- we use the same elevators, same garage, same amenities and enter through the same lobby.

Also it's not like all of the highrises in the DC area are 12 floors. Emporis lists over 250 buildings 15 floors+ across metro DC. That's more than Philly, and not far behind Houston and SF/Oakland. And once you step down to the 12-15 range DC has like 5x more.

If you live on 4, you can take the stairs. I live on 6 and generally walk up.

Also lower floors won't have views.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:42 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

I’d imagine anything below the 4th or 5th floor people take the stairs especially the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Also I’m pretty certain it’s odd for a 2nd floor apartment to have any sort of balcony on a high rise.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

You can, but most people don't.

As for views -- sure, higher floors generally tend to have better views than lower floors, but that doesn't mean that they always have good views or that low floors never do. It all depends on what's in front of you. I used to have a 25th floor office in Midtown where I was staring right into the building across the street. On the other hand, you have 2-storey townhouses on the Hudson River across from Manhattan with some of the greatest urban views anywhere in the world.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:39 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
People are freaking lazy.

Second-floor balconies are pretty common in my area. They're not common in cities with parking podiums.

Yes the view varies by location. Regardless, in most tall buildings there's a point where the difference between the high units and low ones is really stark.

There's also a difference in noise level. On the lower floors you might hear individual voices. On the upper ones, you can hear more things, but they're fainter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City