Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 11:24 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Nobody was talking about Toronto and Vancouver. As for Montreal and Calgary, Emporis lists 550 highrises for the former and 330 for the latter. I am sure they have some more outside city limits but it wouldn’t be substantial. Neither of them has extensive highrise TODs outside of city limits.

DC, as Joakim has pointed out, has close to 1300 highrises in the metro. Substantially more than Montreal and Calgary combined.

Now if you start tinkering with the definition of a highrise you will get different results, but the commonly accepted definition is 12 floors or more.
Are you sure about that? Because if we're going by the "12+ floors" definition (which was not, by the way, how the OP defined them in this thread) Montreal's metro area has A LOT more than 550, and a quick guestimate, from anyone who knows the area, would throw it above 1,000.

Now, for what it's worth, I don't consider living in a building that looks like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5002...7i16384!8i8192 "high-rise living." I don't think anyone would.

Rather, this is how I would see it. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4940...7i16384!8i8192

There are tons of areas not included in Montreal's city limits that are full of 12+ story buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 11:37 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Are you sure about that? Because if we're going by the "12+ floors" definition (which was not, by the way, how the OP defined them in this thread) Montreal's metro area has A LOT more than 550, and a quick guestimate, from anyone who knows the area, would throw it above 1,000.

Now, for what it's worth, I don't consider living in a building that looks like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5002...7i16384!8i8192 "high-rise living." I don't think anyone would.

Rather, this is how I would see it. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4940...7i16384!8i8192
I’m think 99% people would consider that first image a high-rise in the context of its surrounding neighborhood.

It’s not a tall high-rise by modern standards in the same way the Chrysler Building isn’t a tall supertall by modern standards

Old 06-21-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I’m think 99% people would consider that first image a high-rise in the context of its surrounding neighborhood.

It’s not a tall high-rise by modern standards in the same way the Chrysler Building isn’t a tall supertall by modern standards
Okay.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:52 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:

There are tons of areas not included in Montreal's city limits that are full of 12+ story buildings.
"A quick guesstimate from anyone who knows the area"... Good one Well a quick sense-check would tell you that it's extremely unlikely that Montreal has almost as many highrises in its burbs as it does in the city proper -- or anything close to it-- given that the City of Montreal has almost 50% of the urban area population with a vastly higher population density than the suburbs and an overwhelming concentration of highrises in the city (unlike DMV). There are no Bethesdas, Arlingtons or Tysons Corners anywhere in the Montreal metro to bring the kind of numbers you are talking about. But hey, if someone wants to do a comprehensive count for the Montreal metro to disprove this, that'd be great and I would be happy to be proven wrong.

As for your link -- why wouldn't anyone consider this a highrise? Emporis certainly does. You are confusing a skyscraper and a highrise -- they are not the same.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
"A quick guesstimate from anyone who knows the area"... Good one Well a quick sense-check would tell you that it's extremely unlikely that Montreal has almost as many highrises in its burbs as it does in the city proper -- or anything close to it-- given that the City of Montreal has almost 50% of the urban area population with a vastly higher population density than the suburbs and an overwhelming concentration of highrises in the city (unlike DMV). There are no Bethesdas, Arlingtons or Tysons Corners anywhere in the Montreal metro to bring the kind of numbers you are talking about. But hey, if someone wants to do a comprehensive count for the Montreal metro to disprove this, that'd be great and I would be happy to be proven wrong.

As for your link -- why wouldn't anyone consider this a highrise? Emporis certainly does. You are confusing a skyscraper and a highrise -- they are not the same.
Sure there are... Brossard and Longueuil on the South Shore are no slouches (Emporis is missing a bunch of data on Brossard, which is building multiple "highrises" at the moment.) Cote Saint-Luc isn't included in the Montreal city limits, for whatever reason. Again, Emporis is missing lots of data here (do a googlemaps count vs what emporis has.) Westmount is a "suburb" of Montreal also.
Then of course there is Laval, which has multiple areas like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5645...7i16384!8i8192

I think you guys are severely underrating the place.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:21 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:

I agree with your assessment and interpretation. Although, this thread is using specific criteria.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:32 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Now if you start tinkering with the definition of a highrise you will get different results, but the commonly accepted definition is 12 floors or more.

According to who? In the construction world, 75' would be better. If you mean in a fan-board sense, any round number would do...10 floors, 50 meters, whatever.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Sure there are... Brossard and Longueuil on the South Shore are no slouches (Emporis is missing a bunch of data on Brossard, which is building multiple "highrises" at the moment.) Cote Saint-Luc isn't included in the Montreal city limits, for whatever reason. Again, Emporis is missing lots of data here (do a googlemaps count vs what emporis has.) Westmount is a "suburb" of Montreal also.
Then of course there is Laval, which has multiple areas like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5645...7i16384!8i8192

I think you guys are severely underrating the place.
No, there aren’t. These areas you mentioned do have highrises, but nowhere near the numbers you’d need to push Montreal metro anywhere close to a 1000.

Laval is a huge area, almost as big as Montreal itself, and has 47 highrises per Emporis. Cote Saint Luc has 22; Westmount 12; Longueuil 17; Broussard 8. Total 106. Together with Montreal proper that’s around 650-660. I know that Emporis is not perfectly accurate and I am sure Montreal has some other areas with highrises as well, but you’d need to find another 600 or so to get Montreal close to DMV.

If you have better or more comprehensive data I’d love to see it though. That would be better than guesstimates.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
According to who? In the construction world, 75' would be better. If you mean in a fan-board sense, any round number would do...10 floors, 50 meters, whatever.
Well Emporis for a start. That’s the benchmark typically used around these boards. But I agree there is no official definition and it’s cultural too. I think a 10-storey apt building would be considered a highrise in most parts of the world.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:07 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Well Emporis for a start. That’s the benchmark typically used around these boards. But I agree there is no official definition and it’s cultural too. I think a 10-storey apt building would be considered a highrise in most parts of the world.
Emporis isn't really all that of a benchmark anymore. I find it outdated, incomplete, and sometimes just plain wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City