Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 01:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Emporis isn't really all that of a benchmark anymore. I find it outdated, incomplete, and sometimes just plain wrong.
Where would be a good place to find this info?
It shouldn't be this difficult to find an answer to this question.

We have been going on for pages discussing DC when DC probably doesn't even crack the top 30.

Common sense suggests NY, Chicago, Miami, SF, Houston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, but hard numbers outrank common sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 01:37 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

We have been going on for pages discussing DC when DC probably doesn't even crack the top 30.

Common sense suggests NY, Chicago, Miami, SF, Houston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, but hard numbers outrank common sense
+Boston and LA.

Again, i havent found a site to find that data out. Your best to do it yourself and compile it from the city. Thats what i do. Also im not twlking about DC, i dont call them high rises.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:38 PM

17,199 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:

I wonder this as well... Brossard (Montreal suburb discussed a few posts back) was mentioned by a poster to have 8 buildings at 12+... The shoreline alone has more than 8 (this is an easy observation just on Googlemaps), and the Dix30 and Uniquartier add roughly another dozen. Similarly with Cote Saint-Luc -- if one does a simple Googlemaps count, one comes up with way more than 22... Way more. Canadian cities as a whole are way off. I think some cities are more accurate than others, but overall, it's just not a reliable measure.

I'd like to see the DC numbers myself, as I have visited the area a LOT, both because I have family there, and because I was contracted under PEPCO for a little while a few years back. I never considered anything outside of Arlington to be a hotbed for high-rises in the metro area. But I may be wrong (I probably am.)

If there isn't a more comprehensive, reliable source online, perhaps someone here who has enough time on their hands, and capital to invest in such a project, can work on this. I'm sure it would be a very valuable investment in the long run.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:45 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:

DC has more high rise buildings metro area wide than SF, Dallas, Philly, Atlanta, Seattle, Boston, and Houston, and more high rises in 100 sq miles of DC/Arlington/Alexandria than Los Angeles proper.

It absolutely deserves mention here, and arguably has some of the most unique views of cities/metros with "high rises".

Old 06-21-2021, 03:58 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Where are these concentrations of 20-30 story residential buildings? Outside of Arlington?
Currently the tallest residential building in the metro 400+ ft 32 stories is in Tysons.

https://lumentysons.com/

Two of the "new tallest" residential buildings in the DC area are outside of not only Arlington, but outside the Beltway.

The Boro also in Tysons:

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...-the-boro.html

The Elm is only one of many Bethesda high rise residential projects, i suggest just a google search way too many to name:

https://www.livetheelm.com/gallery/

The building to the right is a 489 ft residential project, part of the next phase of the already constructed Reston Gateway:

https://www.coopercarry.com/projects/reston-gateway/

The View in Tysons has not began construction due to pandemic, but is approved and financed will feature a 600 ft tower that may be either mixed housing or hotel, with the option for office space. If office space is chosen for that tower, one of the others will be residential:

https://www.gensler.com/projects/tysons-the-view

No buildings in Arlington go above 400 ft actually, it's the rest of the metro where going forward we'll see the most heights free of FAA space nor gov't restrictions.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-21-2021 at 04:14 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC has more high rise buildings metro area wide than SF, Dallas, Philly, Atlanta, Seattle, Boston, and Houston, and more high rises in 100 sq miles of DC/Arlington/Alexandria than Los Angeles proper.

It absolutely deserves mention here, and arguably has some of the most unique views of cities/metros with "high rises".
The question is such cities have the most residential highrises that are 15 floors or higher in the core.

Where does DC have all these residential hirises in the core? Again DC is just tying up this thread. DC doesn't deserve mention in this particular topic. It's a square peg that yall are trying to ram down a round hole

Old 06-21-2021, 05:43 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
The question is such cities have the most residential highrises that are 15 floors or higher in the core.

Where does DC have all these residential hirises in the core? Again DC is just tying up this thread. DC doesn't deserve mention in this particular topic. It's a square peg that yall are trying to ram down a round hole
What is core though? You can't go by city limits... Houston has an area of 670 sq miles as compared to DC's 61 sq miles, while the metros are about the same size.

Where does DC have these highrises? Well if you add up DC and the adjacent Arlington, Alexandria, Chevy Chase/Bethesda/North Bethesda and Silver Spring you'll get more highrises of 15 floors or higher than Seattle/Bellevue or Atlanta -- in a smaller area than both. Emporis is your friend.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
What is core though? You can't go by city limits... Houston has an area of 670 sq miles as compared to DC's 61 sq miles, while the metros are about the same size.

Where does DC have these highrises? Well if you add up DC and the adjacent Arlington, Alexandria, Chevy Chase/Bethesda/North Bethesda and Silver Spring you'll get more highrises of 15 floors or higher than Seattle/Bellevue or Atlanta -- in a smaller area than both. Emporis is your friend.
I have answered to where the hirises are in Houston a dozen times. If you are not familiar with Houston then you are not qualified to say that it has less than DC. None of Houston's towers are outside the neighborhoods around downtown or Uptown so your can pack away the overplayed city limits rhetoric. It means nothing.

Again, DC does NOT fit the core area metric specified by the OP

Old 06-21-2021, 06:04 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
I have answered to where the hirises are in Houston a dozen times. If you are not familiar with Houston then you are not qualified to say that it has less than DC. None of Houston's towers are outside the neighborhoods around downtown or Uptown so your can pack away the overplayed city limits rhetoric. It means nothing.

Again, DC does NOT fit the core area metric specified by the OP
I didn't say that Houston has less than DC. I said that you can't go by city limits -- that would be idiotic. And I answered your question where DC has them. To claim that Arlington, for example, is not part of the DC area core would be equally idiotic.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I didn't say that Houston has less than DC. I said that you can't go by city limits -- that would be idiotic. And I answered your question where DC has them. To claim that Arlington, for example, is not part of the DC area core would be equally idiotic.
I agree with you on both points.
I am sorry if I sounded snappy, but the city limits argument is so overplayed it really gets annoying. It's like people are implying that the condos are spread all over the city limits when they are in a few neighborhoods.

I am in agreement that Arlington can be considered DC's core, what I do not agree with is that DC's core has that many hirises. I understand the Metro argument but the OP narrowed it down to core areas so I don't know why people are extending it to metro for page after page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City