Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 06:21 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times

Advertisements

I would say:
New York
Chicago
Miami
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Houston
Dallas
Seattle
Boston
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 06:39 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The question is such cities have the most residential highrises that are 15 floors or higher in the core.

Where does DC have all these residential hirises in the core? Again DC is just tying up this thread. DC doesn't deserve mention in this particular topic. It's a square peg that yall are trying to ram down a round hole
It may be worse than that. I think that the ask in the OP was which cities have the most substantial number of apartments available 15 floors and higher. So you ignore floors 1-14 and only count the amount of apartments available on floor 15 and higher. Five buildings 20 stories tall (5 buildings x 6 floors at 15 or greater) would be the same as one 45 story building.

If that's true, for the US we're once again down to NYC, Chicago, miami, and who cares.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
The question is such cities have the most residential highrises that are 15 floors or higher in the core.

Where does DC have all these residential hirises in the core? Again DC is just tying up this thread. DC doesn't deserve mention in this particular topic. It's a square peg that yall are trying to ram down a round hole
Washington DC has 15 story buildings first of all, so again you're wrong. Although most do their topping out around 13/14 in many areas, but some high rises in DC fit the description. Arlington also is the part of the urban core of DC metro area, and original District land, with high rise buildings with views of the entire region. You guys can try to filter DC out of whatever threads you want to, but facts are facts, what's not is not.

https://www.thehighlandsva.com/gallery/

https://www.pierceva.com/

https://www.turnberry.com/portfolio/...wer-arlington/

Last edited by the resident09; 06-21-2021 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 07:39 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

If that's true, for the US we're once again down to NYC, Chicago, miami, and who cares.
This

Old 06-21-2021, 07:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
... Where?

Tyson's Corner has a handful last I checked.
I don't recall anything above 20 stories in Bethesda... Looked more like midrises around 12-15 floors.
Ditto to Silver Springs. I mean, I know there are some, but definitely not in high numbers... And to make such a claim that As a metro DC smashes anything not named NYC, Chicago or Miami (assuming we aren’t counting Toronto & Vancouver)" is kind of outlandish.
If including Canada, first of all, not only Toronto and Vancouver, but also Montreal trounces the DC metro. Probably Calgary too.
What about Seattle? LA?
Yea Silver Spring now has a 26 story apt building that is still topping out on construction actually now, but already helped shape the skyline:

https://www.globest.com/2020/04/30/w...t-development/

Bethesda has MULTIPLE, and I mean multiple high rise residential buildings over 15 floors either newly constructed or breaking ground soon. The tallest being planned at the moment 314 ft, around 28 floors at least. Bethesda is coming for the #2 crown in the DMV for high rises soon, Tysons and Reston will have to keep up.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It may be worse than that. I think that the ask in the OP was which cities have the most substantial number of apartments available 15 floors and higher. So you ignore floors 1-14 and only count the amount of apartments available on floor 15 and higher. Five buildings 20 stories tall (5 buildings x 6 floors at 15 or greater) would be the same as one 45 story building.

Idk about that, Houston didn't have that many in the 15 range. 20 to 45 floors is where the majority falls

Brava Market Sq 46 floors
Market Sq tower- 40 floors from street to roof/no podium
Aris Market Sq 32 floors
The Rice 18 floors no podium
The Star 16 floors no podium
One Park Place- 37 floors 492 ft tall.
2929 Wesleyan- 40 floors, 532 ft
The Huntingdon - 34 floors 503 ft
The Post Oak - 36 floors
Four leaf Tower 1 - 40 floors
Four Leaf Tower 2 - 40 floors
3411 Yoakum - 34 floors
The Catalyst- 30 floors
Skyhouse 1 - 24 floors
Skyhouse 2 - 25 floors
Skyhouse 3- 25 floors
Houston House - 31 floors
The Travis 30 floors
Drewery Place
Midtown Lofts
The Travis 30 floors
Hanover Post Oak 29 Floors
Astoria 28 floors
Belfiore 26 Floors
The Sovereign 21 Floors
Trammell Crow Residential 42 floors
Gables 36 floors
Camden Downtown 21 floors
Hanover Montrose- 30 floors ( there are multiple of these around Houston)
LA Colombe D'or residential 34 floors
Aspire Post Oak 39 floors

I'm kinda tired looking up all these buildings individually, and I have just scratched the surface. I might look up more tomorrow, but Houston has a ton more residential hirises that are 20 plus floors.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:19 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
If you can write a list, your city ain't it.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Not necessarily.
You would be assuming it is a complete list.
You don't realize the share number until you start building the list and realize how many there really is.
Just because I gave up doesn't mean coming up with a good list isn't possible

Secondly we are not discussing which cities have too many too count.. the op asked for which city has a substantial amount in the core, not which cities have too many to list

Old 06-22-2021, 07:29 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
If you can write a list, your city ain't it.
not true.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:39 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
I agree with you on both points.
I am sorry if I sounded snappy, but the city limits argument is so overplayed it really gets annoying. It's like people are implying that the condos are spread all over the city limits when they are in a few neighborhoods.

I am in agreement that Arlington can be considered DC's core, what I do not agree with is that DC's core has that many hirises. I understand the Metro argument but the OP narrowed it down to core areas so I don't know why people are extending it to metro for page after page
So what is "core"? Whatever atadytic decides? (Sorry, my turn to get snappy )

Uptown Houston is about 7 miles from Downtown. So is Buckhead from Downtown Atlanta. I take it you consider these to be part of Houston's and Atlanta's core... right? Then why not Bethesda, Silver Spring and Alexandria -- they are the same distance from Downtown DC.

Just because sunbelt cities have vastly inflated city limits doesn't mean they have larger cores. If anything, one could argue that DC has a bigger core given that it's a denser urban area with superior public transit.

The point is you need to have a clear methodology based on objective data and not your subjective feelings... otherwise it's pointless to have this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City