Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 08:03 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So what is "core"? Whatever atadytic decides? (Sorry, my turn to get snappy )

Uptown Houston is about 7 miles from Downtown. So is Buckhead from Downtown Atlanta. I take it you consider these to be part of Houston's and Atlanta's core... right? Then why not Bethesda, Silver Spring and Alexandria -- they are the same distance from Downtown DC.

Just because sunbelt cities have vastly inflated city limits doesn't mean they have larger cores. If anything, one could argue that DC has a bigger core given that it's a denser urban area with superior public transit.

The point is you need to have a clear methodology based on objective data and not your subjective feelings... otherwise it's pointless to have this discussion.
I personally do not consider Uptown Houston as the core of Houston but again, most of the highrise development is in a respectable and manageable first 100 sq miles of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 08:03 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Not necessarily.
You would be assuming it is a complete list.
You don't realize the share number until you start building the list and realize how many there really is.
Just because I gave up doesn't mean coming up with a good list isn't possible

Secondly we are not discussing which cities have too many too count.. the op asked for which city has a substantial amount in the core, not which cities have too many to list
^ 100% agreed.

I do think Arlington should be counted for DC. Likewise, Cambridge/Somerville for Boston, Jersey City for NYC etc

Old 06-22-2021, 08:09 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
The claimant who said a list means your city is not a contender is not credible. We have no other data that meets the definition or of any list or comprehensive data sets for comparing cities without a list.

Topic is in circular firing squad mode now. Lists is all I can believe now so a city claiming victory without a list is not credible to me.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
^ 100% agreed.

I do think Arlington should be counted for DC. Likewise, Cambridge/Somerville for Boston, Jersey City for NYC etc
I do too, I just don't think that EVERY hirise in a metro should be counted.
The OP specifically stated core.

In most cities the core îs the CBD plus the close in neighborhoods.

Fitzrovian I ain't mad at you, but Uptown is more like 5 miles away. I don't think I would consider it part of Houston's core either. I tend to think of the city as within the 610 loop plus Uptown the center of that I consider the core

Old 06-22-2021, 08:19 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
I do too, I just don't think that EVERY hirise in a metro should be counted.
The OP specifically stated core.

In most cities the core îs the CBD plus the close in neighborhoods.

Fitzrovian I ain't mad at you, but Uptown is more like 5 miles away. I don't think I would consider it part of Houston's core either. I tend to think of the city as within the 610 loop plus Uptown the center of that I consider the core
Yes. Agreed.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:20 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I personally do not consider Uptown Houston as the core of Houston but again, most of the highrise development is in a respectable and manageable first 100 sq miles of the city.
If you do a 100 sq mile circle around DC you would capture most of the major clusters in Arlington, Alexandria, Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Silver Spring yielding over 200 highrises 15 floors+ and over 1000 highrises 12 floors+. Yet some folks here don't think DC should even be in the discussion

Old 06-22-2021, 08:20 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
So what is "core"? Whatever atadytic decides? (Sorry, my turn to get snappy )

Uptown Houston is about 7 miles from Downtown. So is Buckhead from Downtown Atlanta. I take it you consider these to be part of Houston's and Atlanta's core... right? Then why not Bethesda, Silver Spring and Alexandria -- they are the same distance from Downtown DC.

Just because sunbelt cities have vastly inflated city limits doesn't mean they have larger cores. If anything, one could argue that DC has a bigger core given that it's a denser urban area with superior public transit.

The point is you need to have a clear methodology based on objective data and not your subjective feelings... otherwise it's pointless to have this discussion.
Buckhead is not part of Atlanta's core. Downtown/Midtown is.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:31 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Buckhead is not part of Atlanta's core. Downtown/Midtown is.
I agree, but I would include all the areas around those too. The university areas, the zoo, Atlantic Station...

Old 06-22-2021, 08:46 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
I agree, but I would include all the areas around those too. The university areas, the zoo, Atlantic Station...
Yes… I always thought of Atlantic Station as being part of Midtown… kind of anyway.
Same with Georgia Tech. I know they technically aren’t, but they pretty much spill seamlessly into it.
So yes, I agree with that.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:05 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
Quote:
If you do a 100 sq mile circle around DC you would capture most of the major clusters in Arlington, Alexandria, Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Silver Spring yielding over 200 highrises 15 floors+ and over 1000 highrises 12 floors+. Yet some folks here don't think DC should even be in the discussion
This is true. One of the first things that you notice when you arrive in DC are the amount of buildings everywhere. You often don’t see them when being bombarded with News they only have the Capital, Union Station, The Washington Monument or The White House as backdrop. At least that’s what hit me when I first was shown around. How many are apartments vs Government and Law Firms I don’t know but I do know there are a lot of buildings and floor space in the DC Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City