Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 03:46 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Maybe I’ve missed it but I haven’t seen any data that provides the facts that I would like. Certainly not the list at the top of the page that has LA ahead of Miami and Vancouver. That can’t be right and I figured that was for all high rises and not just residential.
That list is for all highrises but likely for city propers only and based on the same highrise threshold as Emporis (12 floors/35 meters and up). For Miami you'd have to at least triple that if you wanna get the number for the metro (I did the count a few years back from Emporis and got around 1200).

Not sure exactly what you are looking for but if you want to get metro numbers you would have to go to Emporis and add up all the highrises for each town in the metro, using whatever cut-off you want. Then if you only care about total inventory above a certain floor you'd have to do the math. Of course that would still not give you the residential vs office split but it would give you an idea of the approximate pecking order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 04:38 PM

626 posts, read 463,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Miami is a highrise resident's paradise if they can afford it. The numbers are relatively low due to the fact that the highrises are limited to the shoreline(s.) Ditto to Tampa, St-Pete, Daytona Beach Shores, basically all of Florida. Inland doesn't get much of anything, and that includes Miami West of I-95. I look forward to the day a place like Coral Gables gets some vertical development.

Check out this video below. It shows just a fraction of the massive scale of high-rises that line the South Florida coast running up like 80 miles. This video only shows from North Beach to the Broward County line going north.

It doesn't even show any of South Beach, Brickell, Downtown Miami, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach or about 20 other cities with skylines around South Florida.

https://youtu.be/vtoqOqkrE10

Look how wide Miami's skyline has gotten.

https://i.imgur.com/A9BSBLF.jpg

I don't think Coral Gables wants any more highrises. Take a look at the picture below. It's beautiful.

https://i.imgur.com/mzb1noh.jpg

Last edited by popka; 06-22-2021 at 04:47 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I have no idea. But this thread is not about 25 floors+ so how is this relevant? Obviously the higher you go the more that's gonna disfavor DC as most of its highrises are in the 12-20 floor range. You've been very keen on sticking to the OP criteria so I am trying to play by your rules. But now it looks like you're just searching for whatever criteria is gonna advance your argument (aka "moving the goalposts")

I and others have presented plenty of data for DC in the last few pages. Where is the data for other cities? How many 15 floor+ residential towers are there in Houston within 3 miles of downtown?
I reckon that if we could do a 100 mile square from the center point all of these cities (leaving Toronto and Vancouver/Montreal out of this). You would find the most 15+ story residential high rises in some order to be:

NYC
Chicago
Miami
DC/LA
SF
Houston
Boston
Dallas
Atlanta/Seattle
Philadelphia
Denver
San Diego
Minneapolis
Baltimore

For 26+ story residential buildings it would be:

NYC
Chicago
Miami
SF
LA
Houston
Boston
Atlanta
Seattle
DC/Philadelphia
San Diego
Denver
Minneapolis
Baltimore

Old 06-22-2021, 05:22 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Very decent lists.
Austin should be making its mark in the conversation in a few years. It's building pretty tall residential

Old 06-22-2021, 07:12 PM

719 posts, read 493,169 times
Good list but don't forget about Charlotte...

Old 06-22-2021, 10:16 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Good list but don't forget about Charlotte...
If we are going by urban core, Charlotte’s is a long way off from any of those cities in numerical residential high rises.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:17 PM

56 posts, read 47,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
If we are going by urban core, Charlotte’s is a long way off from any of those cities in numerical residential high rises.
is Charlottes mostly business?

Old 06-23-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Charlotte has a good number of residential highrises. I think you are seriously underrated again. Especially if we are considering residential highrises over 15 stories....

Old 06-23-2021, 06:52 AM

[quote=jerryfrmthe1;61305937]is Charlottes mostly business?[/QUOTE

Skyscrapers yes, however residential highrises there are a good number...no where in the realm of NYC, Chicago, Atl, but when u start considering midsized cities and up it does pretty well...

Old 06-23-2021, 06:55 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Its funny, Boston is finishing 3 high rise (300ft+) residences this week alone lol.
Another one finishes up in July, and another in August. A few more in the fall as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City