Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2021, 05:20 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

How I see it (I could be wrong, probably am...)

New York City- thousands for high rise residential apts/coops/condos everywhere and around.

Chicago- 0.4 the scale of NYC imo

Miami/So Flo- Just everywhere on the shore, Brickell, DOwntown, its just all condos it seems.
San Francisco- Looks like a ton of high rises all ver the Bay Area.
Los Angeles- If not Downtown LA, sprinkled throughout the valleys. I remember just driving by high rise after high rise.

Boston- A sleeper. But tons of new ones, 5 years ago I wouldnt even put it in top 10. But from Downtown to Seaport to Back Bay/Fens to South End to Dorchester to Revere to Cambridge to Everett .. they coming in like hotcakes.
Houston- THis one is obvious, I see like 6 clusters of apt/condo high rises all around.
Seattle- SF 0.4, with more in the pipeline.
Atlanta- Between Midtown and Dunwoody and Downtown and between. Lots underway oto. Place is booming.
Philadelphia- WOuld have ranked higher than Bos, Atl, Sea, Hou a few years ago. But it seems like they outgrew PHL this decade. BUt the pipeline is massive so we shall see.

Washington DC- I feel I HAVE to put this here. Part perception, part fairness.
Dallas
Minneapolis
Denver
San Diego

Austin
Charlotte
Baltimore
Nashville

Detroit
Las Vegas
Raleigh
Tampa
St. Louis
Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 05:36 PM

719 posts, read 493,169 times
[quote=Joakim3;61311163]I actually have… multiple times. The VUe is 3 blocks west of the BoA Building in Fourth Ward and is a 5 minute walk away. It’s in downtown so what are you getting at? I never said Charlotte doesn’t have nice residential high-rises. I said it doesn’t have substantial amounts in South End or Dilworth, which… again.. it doesn’t.

This is a debate about quantity, not quality.

If we use Emporis (take the numbers with a grain of salt mind you) here’s the numerical count for buildings in between 35-100m

Minneapolis - 295
Denver - 276
St. Louis - 245
Baltimore - 217
SD - 207

Charlotte - 150

Take it how you want to[/QUOTE

This thread isn't about total high rises...its about total RESIDENTIAL high rises. If you know anything about Charlotte most of those total highrises are located in Uptown and the central core while in those other cities they are spread out through the cities. Between Uptown, and SouthEnd there are a good number of residential high rises...I digress...smh

Old 06-23-2021, 06:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

New York City- thousands for high rise residential apts/coops/condos everywhere and around.

Miami/So Flo- Just everywhere on the shore, Brickell, DOwntown, its just all condos it seems.
Los Angeles- If not Downtown LA, sprinkled throughout the valleys. I remember just driving by high rise after high rise.

Boston- A sleeper. But tons of new ones, 5 years ago I wouldnt even put it in top 10. But from Downtown to Seaport to Back Bay/Fens to South End to Dorchester to Revere to Cambridge to Everett .. they coming in like hotcakes.
Houston- THis one is obvious, I see like 6 clusters of apt/condo high rises all around.
Atlanta- Between Midtown and Dunwoody and Downtown and between. Lots underway oto. Place is booming.
Philadelphia- WOuld have ranked higher than Bos, Atl, Sea, Hou a few years ago. But it seems like they outgrew PHL this decade. BUt the pipeline is massive so we shall see.

Dallas
Minneapolis
Denver
San Diego

Austin
Charlotte
Baltimore
Nashville

Detroit
Las Vegas
Raleigh
Tampa
St. Louis
Orlando
What are your standards here? 15+ stories? 25+? Urban core only, or metro? I can't see Philly and a few of the others you have over DC in total residential high rises. I mean outside of CC/ Univ City, where are the residential high rises in the Philly area? DC/Arlington/Alexandria alone I'd bet have more than all of metro Philly. Talk about a massive pipeline, the DC area has had one of the deepest the last 10 years. If it's downtown core alone then obviously Philly though.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:

Dallas
Minneapolis
Denver
San Diego

Austin
Charlotte
Baltimore
Nashville

Detroit
Las Vegas
Raleigh
Tampa
St. Louis
Orlando
Actually this analysis is much better than your first list.
It has more reasoning and less feeling

Old 06-23-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What are your standards here? 15+ stories? 25+? Urban core only, or metro? I can't see Philly and a few of the others you have over DC in total residential high rises. I mean outside of CC/ Univ City, where are the residential high rises in the Philly area? DC/Arlington/Alexandria alone I'd bet have more than all of metro Philly. Talk about a massive pipeline, the DC area has had one of the deepest the last 10 years. If it's downtown core alone then obviously Philly though.
Like 250ft in the urban area of a metro

Old 06-23-2021, 07:38 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgE5KoFkLW0

Old 06-24-2021, 01:34 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
San Antonio has a decent amount of highrise residential over 10 floors for a city not considered to have a significant amount. Not to shabby imo.

I wonder what cities would be comparable to San Antonio? Several other high rise residential towers are planned for the downtown area. San Antonio does rank 13th nationally for total amount of apartments built over the past decade.

1. Atleza Condos 424ft 34 Floors Mixed Use/Hotel
2. Soledad 400 FT 32 Floors 2022
3. Towers at Parklane 368ft 23 Floors
4. Thompson Tower 314ft 20 Floors
5. Wurzbach Tower Condos 300ft 23 Floors
6. Vidora 292FT 20 Floors
7. Villita Tower 290Ft 24 Floors approved
8. The Enclave at 1550 287 Ft 22 Floors
9. Broadway Tower 279Ft 21 Floors
10. Riverplace 261ft 20 floors planned
11. Inspire Apartments 226FT 17 Floors
12. Floodgate Riverwalk 209Ft 17 Floors
13. Air Force Village 205Ft 17 Floors
14. Parkview Apartments 196FT 15 floors
15. Majestic Tower Apartments 187FT 18 Floors
16. Four Thousand One/Midtown 183ft 14 floors
17. The Durango Apartments 170 ft 13 floors
18. 200 Paterson/Midtown 170ft 13 Floors
19. 7400 Crestway 170ft 13 floors
20. Olmos Tower Condos 167ft 15 Floors
21. Carlye Condos 157ft 12 Floors
22. Granada Apartments 157ft 12 floors
23. Villa Tranchese Apartments 157Ft 12 Floors
24. La Cascada Condos 149Ft 12 floors
25. Fair Ave Apartments 144ft 11 Floors
26. Continental Apartments 12 FloorsU/C
27. Aurora Apartments 135Ft 10 Floors
28. Hedrick Building Apartments132 Ft 11 Floors
29. Robert E Lee Apartments 131 FT 10 Floors
30. Maverick Apartments 125ft 11 floors
31. Northview Apartments 11 Floors
32. The Cellars Apartments 123ft 10 floors
33. Elmira at Myrtle 120 ft 10 floorsApproved
34. The Exchange Tower Apartments 10 Floors
35. Vue Apartments 10 Floors

Old 06-24-2021, 05:48 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Thanks for the list. I haven't been to SA in a few years.
Didn't know they had that many residential hirises.
I thought it was the only one not building up but it looks life they have joined the game

Old 06-24-2021, 06:31 AM

h i bumped LA Bos & smaller cities up. I think my first was more like high rises overall

Old 06-24-2021, 08:11 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:

Dallas
Minneapolis
Denver
San Diego

Austin
Charlotte
Baltimore
Nashville

Detroit
Las Vegas
Raleigh
Tampa
St. Louis
Orlando
Are you measuring this by core or metro? By core, I would completely rearrange. Either way, DC should be higher.

And I am going out on a limb (maybe I'm wrong), but I would wager that Center City + U City have more residential high-rises (15ish stories or higher), than all of the areas you mentioned in Atlanta. Remember, Philadelphia has residential high-rises over 100 years old, everything did not start 10 years ago. A full exploration reveals how many mid/high-rise residential buildings there are.

But both do have A LOT of residential mid/high-rise projects in the pipeline. Literally dozens of projects in each downtown area alone.

And expanding to entire metro is where some cities make up ground. Even Philadelphia's largest suburbs suffer from NIMBY-ism if a building is over 4 stories (similar to Boston), until lately.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9490...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9486...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9552...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9681...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by cpomp; 06-24-2021 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Removed my Houston comment so Atadytic19 won't hire someone to assassinate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City