Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 06:18 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Most 15 story buildings in DC proper have between 400-500 units.
But how many of those units in the building sit at or above 15 stories?

Because living on the third floor of a 15 story building isnt high rise living. I lived in one in NYC and it was not high rise experience lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 08:24 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
But how many of those units in the building sit at or above 15 stories?

Because living on the third floor of a 15 story building isnt high rise living. I lived in one in NYC and it was not high rise experience lol
How many live above 15 stories in any building. What are you measuring here?

Old 06-26-2021, 08:35 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The square mileage thing is an odd measure. Sometimes most highrises are basically in or near downtown.
Which is what makes places like the DC area, and some other cities all the more impressive that there are multiple true high rise districts that are still part of an urban core, whether it be in the actual downtown, or an urban node connected to downtown, but still in the urban core. Many cities downtowns are really kinda small honestly outside of NYC, Chicago DC, Philly.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-26-2021 at 08:49 PM..

Old 06-26-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So then why are you going off of 75m+? That's like 25 floors and higher.

By 15 floors+ DC has more highrises than Atlanta, Seattle and Boston within about 100 sq miles, and almost certainly a higher proportion of residential among its highrises than any of those cities given that none of them are in the CBD (where typically a large majority of highrises are offices and hotels).
I don't get the thirst from these arbitrary standards being set to try and eliminate DC from the discussion. It simply has high rise living. It may not be first tier with NYC, Chi, Miami, but whether it be the 15th floor or the 26th etc. you can find residences in the urban core of the DC area with views of the entire city much like every other place being discussed here. All this trying to make it an exception to the rule is not necessary.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its literally an opinion based thread. And go back to the earlier pages where it was specifically outlined. Nobody wants to have this debate… for the third time. This is the last time im responding to this to prevent thread clogging.

And also, how many individual units in DC actually sit above 15 stories them selves. A lot of DC complexes top out at 20 floors leaving 4 plus mechanicals. Whereas in Boston and Seattle (and Atlanta) theres 30-40 and 60 story residential building's. Just because DC has a plethora of 15-20 story buildings, theres not that many units above in its self 150ft. Thats just fact. High Rise living is more common and more realistic in SEA ATL BOS over DCA. 90%+ of DCs buildings barely meet this requirement and the vast majority of the units sit below that threshold.

To a lot of people, thats not a high rise city. Its a mid rise city
It's obvious you haven't been to DC in a while from statements like this.

There are 30+ story luxury high rise residential buildings directly on the Potomac across from Downtown Washington DC.

https://www.centralplace.com/gallery/

^^^ is a prime example. That building is 385 ft tall. This would be the equivalent to Cambridge having luxury high rises at that height for Boston. From wikipedia's most recent updates the tallest building in all of Cambridge is 315ft, and the tallest residential building is 284 ft. Although you may know of more updated info than I have for Cambridge.

What's even more funny is that places in the urban core of the DC area are literally building more 300+ft residential high rises than ever before. So this entire point is being made more moot with each passing day.

https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...st-high-rises/

This one will be a 38 story hotel, connected to a 25 story residential tower.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/09/25/co...th-conditions/

Last edited by the resident09; 06-26-2021 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-27-2021, 07:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
I counted 34 residential towers in this picture of Uptown Houston https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanm...in/photostream

And it doesn't even show all of the Uptown area.

Also keep in mind the bulk of the residential towers are in the neighborhoods around Downtown Houston such as Montrose, River Oaks, Upper Kirby, Museum District

Old 06-27-2021, 10:13 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I counted 34 residential towers in this picture of Uptown Houston https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanm...in/photostream

Also keep in mind the bulk of the residential towers are in the neighborhoods around Downtown Houston such as Montrose, River Oaks, Upper Kirby, Museum District
Interesting. I count about 34 high rise buildings and looking from Google maps, many of them appear to be hotels and offices.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:23 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Although sometimes conversations are interesting no matter who is boastful and still pointing out realities. Houston is a beast in size of the city. I do not live in a small state.... actually nowhere near a major metro. 50 miles away is my state Capitol. I occasionally do go there for a variety of reasons even shopping for things I can see there. Because there are the obstacles of Appalachia mountains. I actually have to go 12 miles out of the way to connect to the Interstate that half of which is on top of a mountain as it travels though the state.

Then I think of Houston. Just downtown to the Gulf is like 50 miles and Galveston then. That is only half of the city radius. Then I realize the size and sprawl is huge.

Then I think of DC. I do not see it as tiny whatsoever. Yet I know DC was originally a perfect square of 10 miles across to each side. That is what in Houston? Then just across the river is Arlington VA. Technically though today.... the VA part of this 10 miles was removed from DC proper. So it is its own city today and this square for DC actually also including most of Alexandria VA.

Got a kick out of this link on

Title: VA delegate wants to give Arlington and Alexandria back to DC. (small map of DC as a original square in link) Video also on politics as usual.... still not going to happen and add some still want Statehood for DC.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...1-b1ad734e4a0f

Bethesda MD is outside the 10 mi square. Not by much.

I think we all know Houston is Huge. We know it has at least 3 main CBD's one as downtown. We know there are corridors between the CBD's and other pockets some will claim a see see we are just with high-rises opening daily.

Clearly, there is warrant for DC to include these other cities with 2 actually originally part of DC proper once. Still this each side saying we rock more..... well clearly, DC can say we could add Arlington or another as if another CBD for us as Uptown is in Houston. The game then just goes back and forth.

No we are booming more.... no we are. We are doing more high-rises... no we are.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:09 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's obvious you haven't been to DC in a while from statements like this.

There are 30+ story luxury high rise residential buildings directly on the Potomac across from Downtown Washington DC.

https://www.centralplace.com/gallery/

^^^ is a prime example. That building is 385 ft tall. This would be the equivalent to Cambridge having luxury high rises at that height for Boston. From wikipedia's most recent updates the tallest building in all of Cambridge is 315ft, and the tallest residential building is 284 ft. Although you may know of more updated info than I have for Cambridge.

What's even more funny is that places in the urban core of the DC area are literally building more 300+ft residential high rises than ever before. So this entire point is being made more moot with each passing day.

https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...st-high-rises/

This one will be a 38 story hotel, connected to a 25 story residential tower.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/09/25/co...th-conditions/
Thats pretty

Fwiw , highest is about 400ft in Cambridge. But its a dorm. Does that count?

Old 06-27-2021, 05:26 PM

444 posts, read 282,865 times
Vancouver is hard to beat

and some waterfront Toronto Highrises near music garden

Last edited by Trojan1982; 06-27-2021 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City