Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 02:01 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times

Advertisements

Found this for Boston and other cities if you search.
A lot of those buildings are under 15 floors. Probably a little over 30 would qualify.

https://www.highrises.com/boston/high-rise-condo-map/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 02:05 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Whatever the source is, the 149 number for San Diego has been referenced for years. I'd guess at least 5 years old. I'm not even sure it's accurate to begin with (seems too high). Either way, UC San Diego alone has probably built 7-10 high rises in since that 149 first appeared. I wouldn't trust it

It was emporis. I knew I remembered a list on Emporis that had Washington DC real high on it in terms of high rises. I actually couldn't find it anymore, but the google results showed this random website with the list and a broken cited link to emporis at the bottom: https://list.fandom.com/wiki/List_of...line_Ranking-3

My only gripe with the total high rise number listed on Emporis for each city is that it doesn't allow you to filter the list for purely completed buildings that haven't been demolished (plus it's all buildings and not just residential). The list I shared before had Philly at 447 and it says 467 now.

High rises are built in other parts of Philadelphia but they are mostly built around center city.
Current high rise construction map, blue is under construction, red is proposed. All are residential outside of a couple office buildings on Market st.
Center City West
Center City East

A lot of classical architecture in the older residential buildings.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:47 PM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Check out this video below. It shows just a fraction of the massive scale of high-rises that line the South Florida coast running up like 80 miles. This video only shows from North Beach to the Broward County line going north.

It doesn't even show any of South Beach, Brickell, Downtown Miami, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach or about 20 other cities with nice skylines around South Florida. What they've managed to build down there is really quite incredible.

https://youtu.be/vtoqOqkrE10

Old 06-08-2021, 05:28 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Here's a good site show many of Houston residential towers. I'm a Houston native. Areas where you find clusters include:

Hermann Park/TX Medical Center;
Upper Kirby/Museum District then west to the Galleria/Uptown area - its basically look west of downtown for a couple of miles and that's where the bulk will be found. Maybe there are one or two in the Woodlands 25 miles north but they are an outlier.

https://www.highrise-houston.com/hou...se-properties/

DFW hi-rises are more spread out.
Thanks! It looks like many of those sit by themselves or at least the property is large enough that no other buildings show up in the shots, even from a distance. I don't feel so bad now that they didn't really stand out to me. Quite a few low-rise and mid-rise buildings on that website too.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:10 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
I don't think the OP specified that they had to be on the same block.
Looks like the OP asked which cities had a substantial number of them and Houston certainly has more than a substantial number.
Certainly on par with Atlanta and Boston

Old 06-08-2021, 06:36 PM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Check out this video below. It shows just a fraction of the massive scale of high-rises that line the South Florida coast running up like 80 miles. This video only shows from North Beach to the Broward County line going north.

It doesn't even show any of South Beach, Brickell, Downtown Miami, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach or about 20 other cities with nice skylines around South Florida. What they've managed to build down there is really quite incredible.

https://youtu.be/vtoqOqkrE10

I forgot to mention that this video is over 10 years old. A lot has been built since it was filmed.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:52 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Looks like the OP asked which cities had a substantial number of them and Houston certainly has more than a substantial number.
I was actually referring to your comment a few pages back where you suggested that I needed to see an optometrist for suggesting that the buildings must be spread out because high rise living in Houston didn't stand out to me in my visits. I thought that I missed some big high rise district based on your comment.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:52 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I was actually referring to your comment a few pages back where you suggested that I needed to see an optometrist for suggesting that the buildings must be spread out because high rise living in Houston didn't stand out to me in my visits. I thought that I missed some big high rise district based on your comment.
Nope, I made no comment on their spread. I specifically stated that it may be time for an optometrist visit because your post sounded like you didn't see them at all. I made no mention of streets lined with condo towers.

I even mentioned that if you stayed near the mall you wouldn't find any there because they are not in that area.
There's hotel, retail and office around the mall, condos are a few block to the north with a spattering of them to the south

Old 06-08-2021, 10:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Boston I would say yes because its got a long history, limited land compared to DFW or Houston.Atlanta, 20 years ago yes. Not now.Dallas -Uptown/Downtown and far north Plano/south Frisco and to a lesser extent Fort Worth are the pockets of hi-rise (15 stories or more). Most of what I've seen in DFW tends to be more Hi-rise (over 25 stories) than midrise to me. Same with Houston. I think Builders feel they get more economies of scale on the same size site by building higer.
You have got to be kidding? Have you even seen Buckhead or Midtown in the last 5 years?

Old 06-09-2021, 05:31 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That’s accurate to a degree. I also meant that they be noticeable and stand out, which would involve them being clustered to some degree anyway. To me a cluster is at least 5 within walking distance to each other, thus making their overall presence more noticeable.

Houston has some nice new tall towers though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City