Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you have your second home Palm Beach, Florida, Miami or the Southamptons, New York?
Palm Beach, Florida 9 25.71%
Miami 18 51.43%
Southamptons, New York 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 08:35 AM

69 posts, read 58,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Then you want to be in Miami Beach on one of the gated community islands already mentioned.
Where's best place to live in Venetian Islands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 08:54 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I dont think you really want to get into a pissing match about the celebrities in MV vs the Hamptons. The list would make your list look tiny, besides the fact that many on your list are usually in The Hamptons when they are not making their occasional Martha's Vinyard visit.

But I don't consider celebrities to be a benchmark either. Most live in houses just like mine, so I am not that impressed. I am talking about real money. I would suggest that from your posts, it is clear that you dont know the Hamptons very well. If you did, you would have had a much better time when you went.

It is not great once a year, weekend getaway place. It is a place for regular residents who get invited to cocktail parties, clam bakes on the beach, pool parties, BBQs, bon fires on the beach. You have to know people. You have to know where the most beautiful areas are located in order to see them. It is not like randomly going to the Jersey Shore and walking up the boardwalk until you find something fun to do.

The fact that you didn't have a good time when you were there, did not surprise me. The fact that you thought you knew anything about the area, did. I know Nantucket and MV better than you know The Hamptons, and I'm telling you, your assumptions are wrong. I could show you a side of The Hamptons that you have no idea even exists from your little visit.
Ive been to the Hamptons twice. Its okay at best. I don't know many people who actually 'love' the Hamptons.

In 2021? Hamptons aint it chief. And they certainty aren't the sign of wealth they once were.

Dont get defesnive. The first time I went to a wedding in Southampton, which was alright. Then went out to Montauk and then some vineyard. Yawn. The second time I went, I went with my friend before his parents sold the home and moved out to Acadia (Idk..).

it all comes down to preference. I think the Hamptons are meh. Theres nothing special about them. Maybe its my inner M8shole snobbiness or my age? but idk.. not a fan.

I like this comment that best fits them both:
Quote:
All three locations are geographically similar, stunningly beautiful in the warm months. The Hamptons is a bit flashier. The Islands are more low key. Nantucket is the most quiet and smallest. If it matters the billionaire republicans summer in the Hamptons and Nantucket and billionaire democrats summer on the Vineyard. I am totally biased as I love the Vineyard. Nantucket is just as beautiful. You can't go wrong either way. Hamptons are not for me although there are some beautiful spots.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 06-07-2021 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-07-2021, 09:15 AM

18,461 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ive been to the Hamptons twice. Its okay at best. I don't know many people who actually 'love' the Hamptons.

In 2021? Hamptons aint it chief. And they certainty aren't the sign of wealth they once were.

Dont get defesnive. The first time I went to a wedding in Southampton, which was alright. Then went out to Montauk and then some vineyard. Yawn. The second time I went, I went with my friend before his parents sold the home and moved out to Acadia (Idk..).

it all comes down to preference. I think the Hamptons are meh. Theres nothing special about them. Maybe its my inner M8shole snobbiness or my age? but idk.. not a fan
I'm not defensive, and I don't think it is because of your inner M8shole snobbiness either. I think it is because you talk about something you have no clue about, as if you are an expert. But like the old saying goes, "You don't know, what you don't know."

I'm trying to do you a favor. It is really obvious to anyone who actually lives there, that you have no clue about what life is like there.

It's like if I went to NYC for a weekend, visited Times Square and the Statue of Liberty and thought I knew what life in NYC is like from that.

And I don't know where you are getting "not the sign of wealth that they once were." I think you are maybe creating your own reality in your mind and thinking it is the reality that everyone else is experiencing? Every year, there is another Billionaire on my street. In fact, I may be selling my house to one of them in the very near future.

The Hamptons are far more beautiful than Nantucket or MV, but you wouldn't know anything about that because you drove to Montauk and a vineyard and think that makes you an expert. As I said, I could show you so much in the Hamptons that you have no idea even exists. You dont know, what you dont know.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:27 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm not defensive, and I don't think it is because of your inner M8shole snobbiness either. I think it is because you talk about something you have no clue about, as if you are an expert. But like the old saying goes, "You don't know, what you don't know."

I'm trying to do you a favor. It is really obvious to anyone who actually lives there, that you have no clue about what life is like there.

It's like if I went to NYC for a weekend, visited Times Square and the Statue of Liberty and thought I knew what life in NYC is like from that.

And I don't know where you are getting "not the sign of wealth that they once were." I think you are maybe creating your own reality in your mind and thinking it is the reality that everyone else is experiencing? Every year, there is another Billionaire on my street. In fact, I may be selling my house to one of them in the very near future.

The Hamptons are far more beautiful than Nantucket or MV, but you wouldn't know anything about that because you drove to Montauk and a vineyard and think that makes you an expert. As I said, I could show you so much in the Hamptons that you have no idea even exists. You dont know, what you dont know.
Well granted I have family members and friends in NYC who make 7-8 figures a year. None of which have Hampton homes. They take their jet from Teterboro to ACK or MVY.

Also, no.. the Hamptons are nowhere near as beautiful as MV or ACK. Thats silly. You just lost your credibility there and im going to have to stop replying now.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
You should solicit the services of a realtor at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticLocales View Post
(1) That would be nice to dock my superyacht in my house. I have small yachts inside my superyacht.

(2) I have my own private jets.

(3) Urban amenities are nice, I like privacy but at the same time I don't want to be cut off from my surroundings.

(4) I like gorgeous people, I'm in fashion.
Quote:
Where's best place to live in Venetian Islands?

Old 06-07-2021, 10:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Which is better San Marco Island or Biscayne Island?
I think that Biscayne is better because you can get off the main road. You can't do that with San Marco. Frankly, I think that the Miami Beach section of the causeway is better because you can get far from the main drag of Venetian Way (San Marino, Di Lido, Rivo Alto). This is especially true if you are wanting more privacy. If you want islands without through traffic at all, then look at the Sunset Islands. These islands are super convenient to the NW corner of South Beach, while they are also gated islands.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I give mad respect to you on recognising the location just from the pic.
I live on the Venetian Causeway on the most eastern island. It wasn't that difficult.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
None of those. All are overcrowded and overrated.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
One more question, can I own several small mansions in Miami to make one large mansion? Also Palm Beach has massive $100M+ mansions so how is Miami winning?
There are a few examples of owners creating compounds out of 2 or more houses. Peter Thiel recently did this with his purchase of side by side homes.
https://therealdeal.com/miami/2021/0...each-mansions/

Old 06-07-2021, 10:55 AM

18,461 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well granted I have family members and friends in NYC who make 7-8 figures a year. None of which have Hampton homes. They take their jet from Teterboro to ACK or MVY.

Also, no.. the Hamptons are nowhere near as beautiful as MV or ACK. Thats silly. You just lost your credibility there and im going to have to stop replying now.
Really? This post is what you are using as your way out?

I am always suspicious when one poster says to another poster "you just lost your credibility". I mean, who are they trying to convince?

When it is based on something that is an actual fact, it still seems like they are trying to take the easy way out.

When it is based on something that is an opinion, they are DEFINITELY trying to take the easy way out.

I mean, honestly, how do you "lose credibility" by having a different opinion?

.....And when it is something based on an opinion of a subject they know very little about, well, you can see where I am going with this.

But, OK. It was nice chatting with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City