Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you have your second home Palm Beach, Florida, Miami or the Southamptons, New York?
Palm Beach, Florida 9 25.71%
Miami 18 51.43%
Southamptons, New York 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2021, 05:45 AM

69 posts, read 59,054 times

Advertisements

The 'vibe' of the said areas must not be hectic. I can't live like sardines. I need a laid-back atmosphere. Large single home mansions with beautiful views that's fit for a family. No natural disasters. Which city has more going on? Which city is better for the super rich? How and why? Palm Beach, Florida, Miami or the Southamptons, New York.

I have a luxurious lifestyle. I own superyachts, supercars, and private jets. Also have boat party's. That's the only time I don't mind living like sardines.

The kind of view I want is an oceanfront property on flat land with the downtown seen from the ground. See this pic in Miami,
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 06:10 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,285,052 times
The people in Southampton and Palm Beach are the same exact people. They spend their summers in Southampton and their winters in Palm Beach. They have homes in both places. They are sort-of like sister towns.

If you are only going to buy one, then Palm Beach is better if you want a place you can use all year long.

I have a home on the ocean in the Hamptons. In the winter it is bitter cold. With that ocean wind, we have to run from the car into the house and warm up by the fire. So we barely use it in the winter. The early fall is nice in The Hamptons, and the ocean is at it's warmest. Late spring is very nice in the Hamptons too, with everything blooming. But for 6 months out of the year, it is not a fun place to be.

Palm Beach can be used all year round, though the summers can get very hot and humid.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 06-07-2021 at 06:21 AM..

Old 06-07-2021, 07:02 AM

12,193 posts, read 8,072,054 times
Martha's Vineyard

Miami Beach
Palm Beach
Nantucket
The Hamptons

on the '5 luxur' second home destinations, as I call it.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:15 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,285,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Martha's Vineyard

Miami Beach
Palm Beach
Nantucket
The Hamptons

on the '5 luxur' second home destinations, as I call it.
Personally, I consider MV and Miami Beach to be second tier compared to the other 3. They are very nice, but a different crowd, which for some people is a positive rather than a negative.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The people in Southampton and Palm Beach are the same exact people. They spend their summers in Southampton and their winters in Palm Beach. They have homes in both places. They are sort-of like sister towns.

If you are only going to buy one, then Palm Beach is better if you want a place you can use all year long.

I have a home on the ocean in the Hamptons. In the winter it is bitter cold. With that ocean wind, we have to run from the car into the house and warm up by the fire. So we barely use it in the winter. The early fall is nice in The Hamptons, and the ocean is at it's warmest. Late spring is very nice in the Hamptons too, with everything blooming. But for 6 months out of the year, it is not a fun place to be.

Palm Beach can be used all year round, though the summers can get very hot and humid.
Can I get that view in Southamptons, New York? (See picture above)

Quote:
Personally, I consider MV and Miami Beach to be second tier compared to the other 3. They are very nice, but a different crowd, which for some people is a positive rather than a negative.
Please give details on how they differ.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:24 AM

12,193 posts, read 8,072,054 times
Quote:
Really? Id say MV and Miami Beach are right up there.. if not a little ahead of the others. I know Nantucket is like an even-richer version of Nantucket. But MV houses a good amount of former presidents, actors/dorectors and politicians like:

Those who regularly visit/have homes or vacation homes on MV:
Barack Obama
Reese Witherspoon
Larry David
Diane Sawyer
Bill Clinton
David Letterman
Jake Gyllenhaal
Meg Ryan
Chelsea Handler
Rosie O'Donnell
Bill Murray
Neil Patrick Harris
The Kennedy's
Mike Wallace
Spike Lee
Oprah

Id say its about equal with the Hamptons, a step down from Nantucket. If I had to rank them on exclusiveness to own/live/long term vacation there it would go:

i. Nantucket
ii. Biscayne Bay/Islands around Miami
iii. Martha's Vineyard=Hamptons
iv. Palm Beach

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 06-07-2021 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-07-2021, 07:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,199,229 times
First of all, you can't live oceanfront and have a view of the city like in the OP. That's a photo from one of the Venetian Islands in Miami/Miami Beach on Biscayne Bay.
Secondly, if you own a super yacht, you can't park it on the ocean; you are going to want to be bayside or on the intercoastal if you intended to have it behind your house.
Thirdly, you know that Florida has hurricanes, right? just checking. Also, as superstorm Sandy has proven, not even the Northeast can completely avoid tropical storms.
That all said, the lifestyle described is that of the super rich in Miami. If you have enough money, you can certainly have the privacy, security, and sanctuary that you want while being on top of a bustling city. Of the options, it's the only one that gives you an immediately adjacent major city in addition to all of the other things. You can literally walk or bicycle to downtown Miami from that location if you wanted to. I walk that causeway every day from end to end after work.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:34 AM

7,416 posts, read 6,584,710 times
Well said...you can have your privacy and, yet, be just 10 minutes outside a happening city (mainland OR beach) with big boy urban amenities. Not sure how an estate on Palm Island, Star Island, Venetian Islands, or Sunset Islands—likely with a dock suitable for a 100 foot+ mega yacht, is a step down from Palm Beach or the Hamptons. Might have fewer $50M-100M estates, but a search on Redfin or Zillow will show you the $20-40M estate (with dock) is not too shabby with much greater access to more exciting, urban amenities.

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...8aAiCKEALw_wcB

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...4aAuxtEALw_wcB

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/.../min-price=10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
First of all, you can't live oceanfront and have a view of the city like in the OP. That's a photo from one of the Venetian Islands in Miami/Miami Beach on Biscayne Bay.
Secondly, if you own a super yacht, you can't park it on the ocean; you are going to want to be bayside or on the intercoastal if you intended to have it behind your house.
Thirdly, you know that Florida has hurricanes, right? just checking. Also, as superstorm Sandy has proven, not even the Northeast can completely avoid tropical storms.
That all said, the lifestyle described is that of the super rich in Miami. If you have enough money, you can certainly have the privacy, security, and sanctuary that you want while being on top of a bustling city. Of the options, it's the only one that gives you an immediately adjacent major city in addition to all of the other things. You can literally walk or bicycle to downtown Miami from that location if you wanted to. I walk that causeway every day from end to end after work.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-07-2021 at 07:49 AM..

Old 06-07-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Well said...you can have your privacy and, yet, be just 10 minutes outside a happening city (mainland OR beach) with big boy urban amenities. Not sure how an estate on Palm Island, Star Island, Venetian Islands, or Sunset Islands—likely with a dock suitable for a 100 foot+ mega yacht, is a step down from Palm Beach or the Hamptons. Might have fewer $50M-100M estates, but a search on Redfin or Zillow will show you the $20-40M estate (with dock) is not too shabby with much greater access to more exciting, urban amenities.
Miami is a better fit then for my criteria?

Old 06-07-2021, 07:47 AM

7,416 posts, read 6,584,710 times
If you want a dock in front of your estate (on Biscayne Bay, not the ocean) AND privacy (gated communities) but access to urban amenities and 20 minutes from a hub, international airport...though there is always the risk—but no guarantee—of a potential hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticLocales View Post
Miami is a better fit then for my criteria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City