Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the better for
North Fulton or Gwinnett 22 75.86%
Mecklenburg 5 17.24%
Davidson 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:38 PM

16 posts, read 18,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
You are probably talking about Southwest Atlanta and now City of South Fulton. It’s very secluded in a sense.

You can always head east to Lithonia and the stonecrest area. They just built a black Wall Street out there: https://www.newblackwallstreet.co/

Most urban environments will be in close proximities to hoods, especially on the east coast. You have choices like Buckhead or Midtown/west midtown, but they aren’t going be affordable like Charlotte or Nashville, but then again you aren’t going to get big boy city culture and amenities in those places. There’s no magic to the equation. I would look into the stonecrest area. You have the ambitious types and only a 15 mile commute to downtown. As far as nightlife, where in Duluth and north Fulton you have sprinkles of black social scene, in dekalb county you have plenty of spots that cater to the demographic. Also, Clarkston has strong Caribbean and African culture, so it’s a win-win.

You will definitely not find the shopping you have in Atlanta in the other two areas. The Atlanta metro has several Zara stores for example… well, the one at perimeter might be under remodeling, but still. I
Don’t Nash or Charlotte have those options. Also, the Macy’s at Lenox carries large selection of mid high tier brands that Macy’s around the rest of the southeast will lack. The Men’s store alone is probably the size of average Macy’s.

As far as social scene, Atlanta is on different level because the black community here is much more wealthy than the others listed. With the movie and music market, your connections will be second to none with all the influencers and entertainers who reside or frequent the social scene. I will say Charlotte is a bit ahead of Nashville on this metric. Charlotte models itself after Atlanta in many ways in regards to nightlife type of things, at least for blk nightlife. And in many cases, the promoters businessmen who create things here use Charlotte as secondary market, so there’s that.

So while rent may be a hundred dollars more in areas you want to be in, the cost is worth the benefit. If you are seriously thinking Atlanta will be too pricey, try Charlotte.

Greetings

I will likely rent for a few years....Anything under 1500 will work for me. I will spend most of my time in activities so I don’t need anything super fancy. Anywhere you recommend for that price point... btw thanks for insightful commentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 04:13 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandon View Post
Greetings

I will likely rent for a few years....Anything under 1500 will work for me. I will spend most of my time in activities so I don’t need anything super fancy. Anywhere you recommend for that price point... btw thanks for insightful commentary.
You can still rent studios and 1 BR for that. There are areas in or near Buckhead and West Midtown that meet this standard.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:46 PM

23,630 posts, read 24,182,090 times
North Fulton or Gwinnett

Old 06-12-2021, 08:54 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,656,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Atlanta. Duluth is especially diverse with a lot of Asian options. There are big houses in Sugarloaf Country Club and very good schools in Gwinnett County.

A famous YouTuber recently visited Suwanee Assi Plaza https://goo.gl/maps/dfD7LGUrgZrRyzsa8 (few miles north of Duluth - Duluth has even bigger Korean plazas) in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdYAPerpFZA
Not sure why this is relevant to OP? He didn't ask about Korean food. Unless, that's your Youtube video and you're trying to get clicks? You are always trying to hype up how Korean Atlanta is, even when it isn't relevant. We get it.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:25 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,971,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not sure why this is relevant to OP? He didn't ask about Korean food. Unless, that's your Youtube video and you're trying to get clicks? You are always trying to hype up how Korean Atlanta is, even when it isn't relevant. We get it.
Korean culture has become a dominant feature of Western Gwinnett County. It's legit to reference it.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:29 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,760,885 times
I've lived in South Fulton surrounded by both wealthy and poor subdivisions. That's just the nature of American segregation really, any majority-black area will have lower property values regardless of wealth. Crime really doesn't affect you that much unless you're running in certain circles or participating in illegal activity. I've lived as a pedestrian in Atlanta my entire life, often purchasing expensive goods and walking through poor neighborhoods in plain sight. I've never been robbed or harassed by anyone. I don't really know of any significant wealthy black areas in Gwinnett other than Snellville and the Loganville zip code within Gwinnett. It'd also be wrong to assume North Fulton and the rest of Gwinnett don't have crime as potential criminals have cars just like anyone else and will be found n population centers that attract visitors like anyone else. Criminals are just people. You simply can't escape people.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:33 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,656,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Korean culture has become a dominant feature of Western Gwinnett County. It's legit to reference it.
Gwinnett has about 1 million people right? And 10k Koreans? ok, not bad for the south.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:55 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,971,203 times
Quote:
Gwinnett has about 1 million people right? And 10k Koreans? ok, not bad for the south.
Where are you getting these numbers? And if you haven't actually been there, you just wouldn't know. Pre-pandemic, Seoul was our #1 O&D international city supporting 2 daily nonstops. Yes, even in the South.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:48 PM

5,369 posts, read 5,171,932 times
I live just up the road from Duluth in Suwanee, got a 1 bd brand new apartment for $1500. There's options for cheaper. It's a pretty good mix of everybody in the units at the complex. There are a lot of lounges around this area as well, just kinda wandered into a couple of them and the people are really nice, everybody knows everyone else but they still are friendly.

I'd say that Duluth is a solid choice, though check out the south burbs as well. I work in Suwanee so that's why I picked it, but you pay a premium cause EVERYBODY wants their kids to be in Gwinnett schools and they want to be closer to the mountains for outdoors.

As far as safety, I ride my bike around a lot around town, never lock it up, it's never been touched. No way I would do that many other places like when I lived near downtown Denver.

Last edited by Phil P; 06-12-2021 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 03:57 PM

1,382 posts, read 942,031 times
Quote:
According to the Korean Atlanta community center, it's closer to 130,000 Koreans in the metro Atlanta area with around half of that in Gwinnett. The Korean American number is significantly smaller than the Korean (non-American) number. In 2010, there were 93,000 Koreans in Atlanta metro area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...ta#Projections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City