Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the better for
North Fulton or Gwinnett 22 75.86%
Mecklenburg 5 17.24%
Davidson 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 12:55 PM

16 posts, read 18,628 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I have been frequenting this site for a few weeks ... 39 year old black male. Entrepreneur. Enjoy lounges and festivals. Nice shopping and progressive black culture

I’m interested in Atlanta area, not the city itself due to crime.... but northern burbs. I have been there a dozen times. If I move there I Would still access the city maybe twice a month.... I could stay anywhere in Charlotte or Nashville area. I have visited Charlotte 3 times and Nashville once. Lived in suburban Chicago most of my life.

All 3 seem cool... I just want to move somewhere with movers and shakers. Ambitious types... but not to dangerous and relatively low COL. size isn’t the end all be all as long as I don’t get bored... would like a metro with different things to discover weekly.

What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 01:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandon View Post
Greetings all,

I have been frequenting this site for a few weeks ... 39 year old black male. Entrepreneur. Enjoy lounges and festivals. Nice shopping and progressive black culture

I’m interested in Atlanta area, not the city itself due to crime.... but northern burbs. I have been there a dozen times. If I move there I Would still access the city maybe twice a month.... I could stay anywhere in Charlotte or Nashville area. I have visited Charlotte 3 times and Nashville once. Lived in suburban Chicago most of my life.

All 3 seem cool... I just want to move somewhere with movers and shakers. Ambitious types... but not to dangerous and relatively low COL. size isn’t the end all be all as long as I don’t get bored... would like a metro with different things to discover weekly.

What do you recommend?
Atlanta’a crime is unnoticeable to me. I’m just used to it I guess. If you want to be around ambitious blk folks, then Atlanta is a no-brainer imo. If you regulate yourself to the north side, Duluth is has nice pockets of black wealth. But not too much in terms of socializing unless you utilize the city.

You could probably make your mark more in the Charlotte market. It’s not as saturated with as Atlanta, it depends on how competitive you are tbh. I would put Nash at a distant 3rd on these particular metrics.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:24 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Atlanta

Old 06-09-2021, 02:36 PM

719 posts, read 493,511 times
Either one. You can't go wrong with either.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Quote:
Greetings all,

What do you recommend?
Based on shopping, culture, and weekly things/lounges and festivals. Not that Charlotte doesn’t offer any of that. But Atlanta wins for me.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:13 PM

Greetings

The rub here... Atlanta is much larger, but the places more affordable in Atlanta are surrounded by hoods. The feel I got my times... Charlotte felt significantly safer. The Nashville area felt okay... less cosmo though.

Does ATL offer enough to compensate for safety concern? I know for events Atlanta dominates.. but as for shopping and restaurants.. is that necessarily true? I feel like only the top 5 American cities pull away in those categories... granted I’m not to familiar with the southeast.

I will visit these cities more over the summer.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:49 PM

1,375 posts, read 926,328 times
Atlanta. Duluth is especially diverse with a lot of Asian options. There are big houses in Sugarloaf Country Club and very good schools in Gwinnett County.

A famous YouTuber recently visited Suwanee Assi Plaza https://goo.gl/maps/dfD7LGUrgZrRyzsa8 (few miles north of Duluth - Duluth has even bigger Korean plazas) in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdYAPerpFZA

Old 06-09-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Atlanta. Duluth is especially diverse with a lot of Asian options. There are big houses in Sugarloaf Country Club and very good schools in Gwinnett County.

A famous YouTuber recently visited Suwanee Assi Plaza https://goo.gl/maps/dfD7LGUrgZrRyzsa8 (few miles north of Duluth - Duluth has even bigger Korean plazas) in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdYAPerpFZA
Does Charlotte or Nashville not have Asian communities... my main focus is good shopping events and being able to explore a new lounge or eatery with vibrant and classy black aesthetic.

Are there any areas of Atlanta where there is a strong and fluid black community that’s predominately middle class with grocery stores and social scene...Not surrounded by hoods.

These neighborhoods seem real isolated on my visit. Very nice neighborhoods but you have to drive several miles alongside of nothing but trees to get anywhere... The active black areas seemed to be located in very crime adjacent areas

Thanks in advance !

Old 06-09-2021, 07:42 PM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
N Fulton/Gwinnett runs away from the other 2 places, arguably the richest suburbs in the Southeast.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
Does Charlotte or Nashville not have Asian communities... my main focus is good shopping events and being able to explore a new lounge or eatery with vibrant and classy black aesthetic.

Are there any areas of Atlanta where there is a strong and fluid black community that’s predominately middle class with grocery stores and social scene...Not surrounded by hoods.

These neighborhoods seem real isolated on my visit. Very nice neighborhoods but you have to drive several miles alongside of nothing but trees to get anywhere... The active black areas seemed to be located in very crime adjacent areas

Thanks in advance !
You are probably talking about Southwest Atlanta and now City of South Fulton. It’s very secluded in a sense.

You can always head east to Lithonia and the stonecrest area. They just built a black Wall Street out there: https://www.newblackwallstreet.co/

Most urban environments will be in close proximities to hoods, especially on the east coast. You have choices like Buckhead or Midtown/west midtown, but they aren’t going be affordable like Charlotte or Nashville, but then again you aren’t going to get big boy city culture and amenities in those places. There’s no magic to the equation. I would look into the stonecrest area. You have the ambitious types and only a 15 mile commute to downtown. As far as nightlife, where in Duluth and north Fulton you have sprinkles of black social scene, in dekalb county you have plenty of spots that cater to the demographic. Also, Clarkston has strong Caribbean and African culture, so it’s a win-win.

You will definitely not find the shopping you have in Atlanta in the other two areas. The Atlanta metro has several Zara stores for example… well, the one at perimeter might be under remodeling, but still. I
Don’t Nash or Charlotte have those options. Also, the Macy’s at Lenox carries large selection of mid high tier brands that Macy’s around the rest of the southeast will lack. The Men’s store alone is probably the size of average Macy’s.

As far as social scene, Atlanta is on different level because the black community here is much more wealthy than the others listed. With the movie and music market, your connections will be second to none with all the influencers and entertainers who reside or frequent the social scene. I will say Charlotte is a bit ahead of Nashville on this metric. Charlotte models itself after Atlanta in many ways in regards to nightlife type of things, at least for blk nightlife. And in many cases, the promoters businessmen who create things here use Charlotte as secondary market, so there’s that.

So while rent may be a hundred dollars more in areas you want to be in, the cost is worth the benefit. If you are seriously thinking Atlanta will be too pricey, try Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City