Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 06:30 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times

Advertisements

I am voting NYC suburbs the metro north ride into grand central is legendary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 07:07 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston's first was the Fairmount Line in 1855. Called Midland Line at the time.
That predates any suburban commuter line, less suburban commuter train system, that I can find. Which is really what we were after, given the entire point of the back and forth was around commuter/train suburbs across legacy cities. Do you have a link for Boston?

I have read about the NYC system in the past. I know they were printing comutation tickets for periods of time as early as the 1860s from the suburbs on a specific train line. That included ferry transfer. So, I suppose, the dates I've found on earliest suburban commuter systems mean multiple direct passenger lines that lent access from the suburbs to the core of the cities.

E.g there was a commuter train in Hyde Park, Chicago, IL, that had 4 rountrips per day into the center of the city circa the 1850s. But it wasn't until decades later that a wide scale commuter system began.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:38 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
That predates any suburban commuter line, less suburban commuter train system, that I can find. Which is really what we were after, given the entire point of the back and forth was around commuter/train suburbs across legacy cities. Do you have a link for Boston?

I have read about the NYC system in the past. I know they were printing comutation tickets for periods of time as early as the 1860s from the suburbs on a specific train line. That included ferry transfer. So, I suppose, the dates I've found on earliest suburban commuter systems mean multiple direct passenger lines that lent access from the suburbs to the core of the cities.

E.g there was a commuter train in Hyde Park, Chicago, IL, that had 4 rountrips per day into the center of the city circa the 1850s. But it wasn't until decades later that a wide scale commuter system began.
Just a note:

The term "commuter" entered the language because railroads offered discounted, or "commuted," fares to passengers who rode it every weekday. The persons riding for those fares came to be known as "commuters" because of those fares for their daily round trips.

Here's the Wikipedia article on Philadelphia's first commuter railroad line — today's Chestnut Hill East branch. The same railroad then built what's now the Manayunk/Norristown branch:

Philadelphia, Germantown and Norristown Railroad | Wikipedia

The initial line to Germantown opened on June 6, 1832. It abandoned the idea of getting to Norristown via this route and instead built a line along the Schuylkill's east bank that opened to Manayunk in 1834 and Norristown the following year. The original route got an extension to Chestnut Hill tacked onto it in December, 1854, about six months after the area the entire line served got absorbed into the city of Philadelphia.

And speaking of Chestnut Hill, you might find this essay about Philadelphia's first planned "railroad suburb" interesting. The link to the celebration mentioned in it no longer works, but I actually attended that event in 2016 and wrote about it:

Chestnut Hill: Recognizing and Remembering the Real Legacy | PhillyHistory Blog

The railroad up Chestnut Hill's west side, the Philadelphia, Germantown and Chestnut Hill (a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania), opened in 1884.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:58 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:

Most communities that the Fairmount Line would have served would be suburban since the City of Limits of Boston were shifted upwards and it was all SFHs. I think it extended past Readville too, which was a suburb itself at the time.

Railroad Extra - History of the Railways of Massachusetts This might work

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/History_..._Massachusetts This source said it went to Dedham.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:17 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Just a note:

The term "commuter" entered the language because railroads offered discounted, or "commuted," fares to passengers who rode it every weekday. The persons riding for those fares came to be known as "commuters" because of those fares for their daily round trips.
Cool! I just learned something.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Most communities that the Fairmount Line would have served would be suburban since the City of Limits of Boston were shifted upwards and it was all SFHs. I think it extended past Readville too, which was a suburb itself at the time.

Railroad Extra - History of the Railways of Massachusetts This might work

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/History_..._Massachusetts This source said it went to Dedham.
Thank you!

I think it's fair to say 1. my commuter timeline is wrong, or is based on a set of criteria that isn't easily explained. And 2. there's really no clear cut answer as to when, and how far the lines extended into the near and far suburbs of each of these cities.

But to come full circle - I love the suburbs built along the commuter rails, or legacy railroads.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Cool! I just learned something.
Me as well

Old 11-14-2022, 08:48 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Thank you!

I think it's fair to say 1. my commuter timeline is wrong, or is based on a set of criteria that isn't easily explained. And 2. there's really no clear cut answer as to when, and how far the lines extended into the near and far suburbs of each of these cities.

But to come full circle - I love the suburbs built along the commuter rails, or legacy railroads.
It seems like one of those things the more research you put into it, the more answers you get lol.

There probably was an earlier Commuter Rail equivalent than Boston-Dedham in 1850something...

Old 11-14-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
It seems like one of those things the more research you put into it, the more answers you get lol.

There probably was an earlier Commuter Rail equivalent than Boston-Dedham in 1850something...
Seems to me like part of the confusion really starts with areas that repurposed working railroad lines, for commuters. NYC did this, and then later, built out an expansive commuter based rail system.

It not as cut and dry as something like first subway.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:22 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
I think that New York has these rail lines all beat. The Fulton Ferry started regular steamboat commuter service between New York and Brooklyn in 1814. It was soon followed by the Staten Island ferry.

There had been ferries in this area since the 1600s. What was different was that Robert Fulton's steamboats allowed predictable reliable service that made it possible for daily commuters to move to the suburbs.

The growth of Brooklyn because of the new steamboat ferry was rapid. The steamboat ferry started in 1814, by 1817 the area of Brooklyn Town near the ferry was incorporated as a village and by 1834 the entire Town decided to incorporate itself as Brooklyn City. Some of the first suburbs in America appeared within the former town of Brooklyn like Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City