Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 10:43 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think it's fair to say that Chicago area is somewhat more diverse than Philly, and it does have less segregation in more of its inner-suburbs, but it's important to note that there is some pretty substantial diversity/integration on the outskirts of Philadelphia. Specifically, a substantial portion of Northeast Philadelphia and a good portion of Northwest Philadelphia. Bordering townships like Cheltenham, Bensalem, and Upper Darby have substantial diversity/integration, as well.

One of the most fascinating demographic maps I've come across corroborates this assessment: the "racial dot" map: The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

It's based on 2010 Census data, so it's likely a little outdated in 2021 terms, but I'm sure it's still overwhelmingly accurate.
Yeah Philadelphia has always seemed more integrated than NYC. Metro wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 08:58 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
I didn't include it initially as I figured it'd be way too expensive, but Stamford, CT looks like it has some reasonable stuff within my budget.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:07 PM

111 posts, read 92,992 times
Boston has some of the best suburbs in the country imo, also Providence whish is basically and adjacent city suburb or satellite city of Boston is very charming, with reasonable col.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeternaII View Post
Boston has some of the best suburbs in the country imo, also Providence whish is basically and adjacent city suburb or satellite city of Boston is very charming, with reasonable col.
Agreed with this. NYC suburbs are quite pricey. Philly ones similar to Providence are much more reasonable.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:34 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I didn't include it initially as I figured it'd be way too expensive, but Stamford, CT looks like it has some reasonable stuff within my budget.
CT has high taxes but is still way more affordable than Boston. The towns are neater. The economy is weaker and resale value isn't looking too hot. Stamford is definitely approachable, look at Norwalk too. I think CT is generally improving after a decently long period of decline...improving slowly though.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
CT has high taxes but is still way more affordable than Boston. The towns are neater. The economy is weaker and resale value isn't looking too hot. Stamford is definitely approachable, look at Norwalk too. I think CT is generally improving after a decently long period of decline...improving slowly though.
Thanks. And Stamford has the easiest commute of every area I've mentioned here?

Old 07-19-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks. And Stamford has the easiest commute of every area I've mentioned here?
I'm assuming commute to NYC? Yeah it's up there. Greenwich is a little closer but that place is pricey. The train goes up to New Haven so you'd be fine regardless assuming we are talking about a train commute. If driving, it's a bit over an hour from Stamford to NYC assuming traffic isn't backed up.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I'm assuming commute to NYC? Yeah it's up there. Greenwich is a little closer but that place is pricey. The train goes up to New Haven so you'd be fine regardless assuming we are talking about a train commute. If driving, it's a bit over an hour from Stamford to NYC assuming traffic isn't backed up.
Train for sure. So Stamford and Norwalk are quite a bit pricier than the Philly burbs, they're still somewhat in my range and they're a much easier commute. Hmmmm.......but taxes.......

Old 07-19-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm.......but taxes.......
Quote:
The exact property tax levied depends on the county in Connecticut the property is located in. Fairfield County collects the highest property tax in Connecticut, levying an average of $6,221.00 (1.3% of median home value) yearly in property taxes, while Windham County has the lowest property tax in the state, collecting an average tax of $2,970.00 (1.29% of median home value) per year.
This is an older map below but you get the idea. The above data is from 2020 which can be found here which has a property tax calculator: http://www.tax-rates.org/connecticut/property-tax

Old 07-20-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
This is an older map below but you get the idea. The above data is from 2020 which can be found here which has a property tax calculator: Connecticut Property Taxes By County - 2021
Very helpful. Other than the tax issue, Connecticut seems to check a lot of boxes, mainly you can be close to NYC in a reasonably safe area. Hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City