Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose No More Than 3: Which are best for beach tourism?
Connecticut 2 0.97%
Delaware 17 8.25%
Florida 166 80.58%
Georgia 12 5.83%
Maine 19 9.22%
Maryland 4 1.94%
Massachusetts 44 21.36%
New Hampshire 1 0.49%
New Jersey 62 30.10%
New York 16 7.77%
North Carolina 84 40.78%
Rhode Island 10 4.85%
South Carolina 95 46.12%
Virginia 29 14.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 11:52 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Florida, Massachusetts and South Carolina for me. I haven’t been to all of the states in the poll, unfortunately.
Those are my picks as well.

For SC, what's interesting is that some of our best beaches aren't the ones that are as publicized but still manage to get a lot of visitors. Hunting Island and Edisto Island are two examples.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-07-2021 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 03:48 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillandz View Post
Cape Cod is totally underwhelming. You can't even swim in the water because it's so cold, the sand is too gritty, and the beaches themselves are too narrow. You would expect from the crappy quality of the beaches, there would be stuff to do in town, but no, your expectations are too high. Even the most happening place on the Cape, Provincetown, is kinda boring. I know Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are nice, but other than boating and golf there's not much more to do because you still can't swim in the frigid water. If I was going that far North, I would just go up to Kennebunkport, which IMO has much prettier beaches surrounding it. The only good thing about Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are the lot sizes, and the seclusion they offer.

The Woods Hole NOAA station reports 70.2F for water temperature. My beach is somewhat warmer than that. I haven't noticed anyone dying of hypothermia at my beach.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:11 AM

34 posts, read 38,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Cape Cod is not that bad… your really overdoing it. Its not as booming/crazy as nj, but its a completely different thing. Its upscale, scenic beaches carved out from glacial retreat. Its where your country clubs chairmen vacation for the weekend in July.
Yes, but that already exists in NJ...and you don't have to be bored out of your mind when being there. Rumson is next to Red Bank and Sea Bright and the Highlands and Sandy Hook, Deal is next to Long Branch, Mantoloking and Bay Head are next to Point Pleasant and Manasquan, Avalon and Stone Harbor are next to Cape May, Spring Lake (which has its own cute Main Street), Sea Girt, and Avon-By-The-Sea are all next to Asbury, and so on. Pretty sure all those towns are on the same level, if not more wealthy, than any part of the Cape and the Islands, and I'm probably forgetting to include a bunch. And it's not like old money didn't flock from NY and Philly to their resort towns here, and still continue to do so (there was always way more money in those two cities than in Boston anyways; compare the Kennedies to the Rockefellers and the Vanderbilts lol). I think again the only plus about Cape Cod and its surrounding environs is that land is cheaper there. Looking at properties on Nantucket, it's possible to get multiple acre properties (!) on the waterfront where property taxes are less than half they would be here.

This is what 11 million buys you on the waterfront in one of the nicer NJ coastal towns: https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/s...oking-nj-08738
Eight-tenths of an acre.

This is what 11 million buys you in Nantucket on the waterfront:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...56542899_zpid/

An acre more of land and half the property taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
If you think that's cold you should check out the PNW coast:
https://www.currentresults.com/Ocean...emperature.php

Not to mention the actual coast weather here is 50s-low 60s at the height of summer with high winds year round. Part of the reason no one swims at the beaches here and everyone just swims in lakes. Also, Cape Cod is great imo and staple of anyone from New England. Much preferred over the crowded NJ beaches I've been to with boardwalks, fake palm trees, and all kinds of overpriced stands setup all over the place selling stuff. That's just me though.
Just because you had the inopportunity to only see Seaside and/or Wildwood, does not fortunately make them the only two towns that exist on the NJ coastline. Please see the nonexhaustive list of towns above to visit on your next trip, which will surely tickle your New England Fancy

And to everyone who commented on the temperature of the oceans, anything above Manhattan is too cold for me, as I am definitely cold-blooded.

Last edited by Tillandz; 07-08-2021 at 01:21 AM..

Old 07-08-2021, 06:45 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Yes, but that already exists in NJ...and you don't have to be bored out of your mind when being there. Rumson is next to Red Bank and Sea Bright and the Highlands and Sandy Hook, Deal is next to Long Branch, Mantoloking and Bay Head are next to Point Pleasant and Manasquan, Avalon and Stone Harbor are next to Cape May, Spring Lake (which has its own cute Main Street), Sea Girt, and Avon-By-The-Sea are all next to Asbury, and so on. Pretty sure all those towns are on the same level, if not more wealthy, than any part of the Cape and the Islands, and I'm probably forgetting to include a bunch. And it's not like old money didn't flock from NY and Philly to their resort towns here, and still continue to do so (there was always way more money in those two cities than in Boston anyways; compare the Kennedies to the Rockefellers and the Vanderbilts lol). I think again the only plus about Cape Cod and its surrounding environs is that land is cheaper there. Looking at properties on Nantucket, it's possible to get multiple acre properties (!) on the waterfront where property taxes are less than half they would be here.

This is what 11 million buys you on the waterfront in one of the nicer NJ coastal towns: https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/s...oking-nj-08738
Eight-tenths of an acre.

That house in Mantoloking was built in 2016?

That's a very good Shingle Style house on steroids. The historic vernacular architecture of the Jersey Shore draws heavily on the New England Shingle Style*, often combining it with more Victorian massing and features.

You'll find a few of those in Avalon and Stone Harbor too, but I'd say that even those are more modern in their exterior design than that house is.

New Jersey is notorious for having high property taxes, and down here in the Philadelphia area, many believe those high taxes depress the values of South Jersey houses relative to their Pennsylvania counterparts.

*Coincidence? New Jersey is the only state outside New England where the ZIP codes begin with 0, and all the states directly bordering it have ZIP codes beginning with 1.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:59 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,957 times
Quote:
Just because you had the inopportunity to only see Seaside and/or Wildwood, does not fortunately make them the only two towns that exist on the NJ coastline. Please see the nonexhaustive list of towns above to visit on your next trip, which will surely tickle your New England Fancy
I actually lived in NJ for a couple years and I know not all beaches there are like that

Old 07-08-2021, 02:07 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The Woods Hole NOAA station reports 70.2F for water temperature. My beach is somewhat warmer than that. I haven't noticed anyone dying of hypothermia at my beach.

Here's the NOAA Atlantic City buoy:
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=acyn4

64.2F ocean temperature. I assume the ocean is all churned up from the hurricane with no warm top layer so that's abnormally cold.

Here's the New York Harbor buoy next to Sandy Hook:
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=44065

71.8F ocean temperature

Montauk
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=mtkn6

Woods Hole
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=bzbm3

The summer ocean temperature is fairly constant from South Jersey to Harwich on Cape Cod. It then gets much colder in Chatham/Orleans and onwards on the National Seashore to Provincetown. My beach in South Dartmouth Mass is low 70s at the moment. It's due north of Cuttyhunk and Gay Head on the western end of Martha's Vineyard. It's usually a couple of degrees colder than Cape May at the southern tip of New Jersey.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:18 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
I think again the only plus about Cape Cod and its surrounding environs is that land is cheaper there. Looking at properties on Nantucket, it's possible to get multiple acre properties (!) on the waterfront where property taxes are less than half they would be here.

Eight-tenths of an acre.

And to everyone who commented on the temperature of the oceans, anything above Manhattan is too cold for me, as I am definitely cold-blooded.
This is just the built environment of the two, and doesn't explain much more than that. The Jersey Coast within reasonable proximity to cities (a distinct advantage for year around living vs. the Cape/Islands) would be more comparable to places like Hingham, Cohasset, Marblehead, Manchester by the Sea. So, there will be far more year around inhabitants. That's simply not the case down the Cape or on the Islands. Prices on Cape Cod certainly reflect that, especially inland or in less desirable vacation locales.

To your point, you would never be allowed to build a house on Nantucket on less than an acre, with the exception of the centuries old neighborhoods near the core.

So, you will more uniformly be on a smaller lot on the NJ coast than on the MA coast.

I guess, to your point, if you want more land, Nantucket is a better "value".

But then again, you can get this updated beauty for $1.6M on the drink: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M54992-24749

This it the cheapest waterfront (proper) house in Nantucket: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M44888-62666

There is one other in Nantucket for $900k, though it's a split house that was moved from it's original location due to erosion. AKA, land. Still a great deal, curious what the story is.

As a more general statement, the median listing price in Mantoloking, NJ is $1.7M. In Nantucket, it's $2.85M.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:53 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:

Eight-tenths of an acre.

Yeah I know. I live in NJ and am from MA. Im familiar with Boston. NJ has its strengths, as does Massachusetts. Massachusetts’ coastal beauty is unmatched to NJ. NJ is more built up and commercialized. More nightlife, etc.

They serve two very different purposes.

But I definitely give MA the edge. NJ is okay but the beaches get repetitive after a while… i like them because im 25, but I can see why MA is more uppity than NJ. The biggest draw to MA to me is if I want rocky i go to Rockport (no pun intended), if I want cove beaches i go to Half Moon Bay Beach. If I want to feel like a degenerate I go to revere Beach (jokes.. only jokes…) , if I want cliffs with sand, Welfleet. Cool historic beach towns, Ptown. If I want unotuched beauty, South Coast. If i want pristine, Mayflower or Nantucket. If i want a mix of everything, Marthas Vineyard. Its not a blowout but to me MA.

And both MV, Nantucket and a significant portion of the cape is way more expensive than NJ. Thats not even a debate. That was just factually incorrect. I cant argue with that.. like Nantucket is ungodly and the ferry alone costs $600 for a car roundtrip (right?)

My extended family lives on the Iberian coast, so I dont really have a care for MA or NJ beaches… ive seen them both, MA edges out. And i cant help that. Both get humid, both have a lot of riff raff (nj has a lot more than MA) and both can get repetitive. Be you want a real beach go to Camposoto Beach in Southern Spain or The Algarve's. They both have a higher percent or rockier/granier sand. But are we going to argue that NJ has better besches than Spain because a higher % of the beaches are granier?

Even if NJ had better beaches than MA (which it doesnt…) a lot of people still wouldnt recognize it because of its reputation as a state as a whole. When I tell people who arent local to the MidAtlantic that i am going to the Jersey Shore there is a good chance perception gets in the way and their response could range from ew to who even goes there why dont you just go to A B or C.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 07-08-2021 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-08-2021, 09:55 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Cape Cod is totally underwhelming. You can't even swim in the water because it's so cold, the sand is too gritty, and the beaches themselves are too narrow. You would expect from the crappy quality of the beaches, there would be stuff to do in town, but no, your expectations are too high. Even the most happening place on the Cape, Provincetown, is kinda boring. I know Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are nice, but other than boating and golf there's not much more to do because you still can't swim in the frigid water. If I was going that far North, I would just go up to Kennebunkport, which IMO has much prettier beaches surrounding it. The only good thing about Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are the lot sizes, and the seclusion they offer.
The water temperature thing has been disproven multiple times on this thread, so no need to address that.

Ptown is anything but boring. I don't think there is a living soul that would consider Ptown "boring". Maybe just not your speed? The only good thing about MV and Nantucket are the lot sizes, eh? Not the $30M mansions, celebrities and politicians, the off the charts food scene (thanks NYC and Boston executive chefs), the postcard downtown area(s), the sandy beaches, the rolling dunes, or the cliffs? Those things aren't good? There is nothing quite like a day spent at Cisco Brewery, hopping in a wrangler and taking a drive down the Wildlife refuge/Great point beach.. People partying for miles, wrangler after wrangler, seals hangin' out, views of the harbor to the west and open ocean to the east. Nantucket is about as romantic as it gets. And I'll admit, I'm a sucker for International tourism. Love eating breakfast at a cafe or on a back patio and listening to the many different languages. Nantucket is a sum-of-it-parts-and-places. I suppose that is why publications have gone as far as to call it the best Island in the world:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...rticle/islands

I've spent too much time in Kennebunk and KPT to knock the area. But, as far as beaches and general desirability, Kennebunkport doesn't hold a candle to those areas on the Cape and Islands. I'd argue that Newburyport, MA - which is more accessible, has a far better downtown, and has plum island to lean on - is a better version of coastal living than Kennebunkport. I can understand why you'd want to be a tourist in Kennebunkport over Newburyport to be sure. But I'd take Newburyport in a heartbeat.

What you haven't mentioned are the other towns and cities along the MA coast.. Places like Salem, Plymouth, Beverly, or Gloucester for their bigger downtowns and historical significance. Plenty of nice beaches, but way more depth than that with a healthy mix of upscale and middle class. Nor have you mentioned towns like Marblehead and Rockport, so unique that they're hard to compare. What New Jersey towns would you choose to compare? And you failed to mentioned the upscale comps to towns like Rumson.. Towns like Manchester by the Sea, Cohasset, Hingham, Duxbury.

You either haven't spent a lot of time in MA, which is fine, or you're very focused on the negatives to prove a point. Just not sure which one it is.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.. I'd be hard pressed to believe someone finds the coast of NJ prettier than the coast of MA. I just don't know how that could possibly be true. But I can absolutely believe that there are many people, maybe even majority, that prefer the buzz, boardwalk USA Americana feel of the NJ coast. They both serve their purpose for their regions quite well.

Last edited by mwj119; 07-08-2021 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-08-2021, 10:25 PM

34 posts, read 38,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah I know. I live in NJ and am from MA. Im familiar with Boston. NJ has its strengths, as does Massachusetts. Massachusetts’ coastal beauty is unmatched to NJ. NJ is more built up and commercialized. More nightlife, etc.

They serve two very different purposes.

But I definitely give MA the edge. NJ is okay but the beaches get repetitive after a while… i like them because im 25, but I can see why MA is more uppity than NJ. The biggest draw to MA to me is if I want rocky i go to Rockport (no pun intended), if I want cove beaches i go to Half Moon Bay Beach. If I want to feel like a degenerate I go to revere Beach (jokes.. only jokes…) , if I want cliffs with sand, Welfleet. Cool historic beach towns, Ptown. If I want unotuched beauty, South Coast. If i want pristine, Mayflower or Nantucket. If i want a mix of everything, Marthas Vineyard. Its not a blowout but to me MA.

And both MV, Nantucket and a significant portion of the cape is way more expensive than NJ. Thats not even a debate. That was just factually incorrect. I cant argue with that.. like Nantucket is ungodly and the ferry alone costs $600 for a car roundtrip (right?)

My extended family lives on the Iberian coast, so I dont really have a care for MA or NJ beaches… ive seen them both, MA edges out. And i cant help that. Both get humid, both have a lot of riff raff (nj has a lot more than MA) and both can get repetitive. Be you want a real beach go to Camposoto Beach in Southern Spain or The Algarve's. They both have a higher percent or rockier/granier sand. But are we going to argue that NJ has better besches than Spain because a higher % of the beaches are granier?

Even if NJ had better beaches than MA (which it doesnt…) a lot of people still wouldnt recognize it because of its reputation as a state as a whole. When I tell people who arent local to the MidAtlantic that i am going to the Jersey Shore there is a good chance perception gets in the way and their response could range from ew to who even goes there why dont you just go to A B or C.
You live in Rahway...

I definitely rustled some jimmies so I'll stop now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City